Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 AM

5 posts, read 3,734 times

Advertisements

Hey all, im sad to say im moving from San Francisco this coming May, my family is sad about it but I go where my job takes me. My son will be staying in San Francisco but my 2 daughters and son will be joining me and my wife. We are politics lovers, atheists but my 1 daughter is muslim, we are also liberals, gay activists and animal rights activists, we have 4 huge dogs, a newfoundland dog, great dane, and 2 Caucasian Ovtcharkas, and a fox. we love city life, but wouldnt mind living in the country for a few years. We dont plan on staying in the Louisville area more then 3 years, it just doesnt seem like a real city to us. We have visited many times, and it seems more like a large town refusing to upgrade to city status. Out of Oldham County, or East End of Louisville...which would you choose. I already know our belief system would fit well in the Highlands, Cherokee, St Matthews, Old Louisville area. But can anybody tell me how Oldham county would treat us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 10:05 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Umm, I would say Oldham County's wealthy conservatives might have some issues. A fox as a pet? Kind of interesting....

Old 04-07-2008, 10:12 AM

29 posts, read 32,841 times
Default well

Hmm well.........

Last edited by Jerseyboy22; 04-07-2008 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: hmm

Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 AM

5 posts, read 3,734 times
We thought of Prospect...Why would areas of Oldham dislike us? Is Oldham not accepting of that? and yeah we have a fennec fox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Umm, I would say Oldham County's wealthy conservatives might have some issues. A fox as a pet? Kind of interesting....

Old 04-07-2008, 12:08 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
This is like a prank call only it's a prank message.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:01 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
It is entirely up to you how you will be accepted in Oldham County.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:13 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
There really is almost no difference culturally btw NorthEast Louisville (Prospect, Anchorage, etc) and Oldham County. If you want urban living go for The Highlands, Clifton, Old Louisville, otherwise go for Oldham County.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There really is almost no difference culturally btw NorthEast Louisville (Prospect, Anchorage, etc) and Oldham County. If you want urban living go for The Highlands, Clifton, Old Louisville, otherwise go for Oldham County.
Census hit it right on the barrel head; however, I think your goal is more towards making others accept you rather than you accepting others.

Reminds me of an old story about the pig farmer and the people from the city who built a house next door. The city folks wanted the fine joys associated with country living, less traffic, room to frolic, etc. So, the property next to the farmer's property was just perfect. Well that is until the farmer did what he had done and his father had done for decades, they hauled the pig manure out and spread it on their land. Oh, did it stink.... so much the city folks complained and forced the farmer to change his ways. No longer could he make a living because the city folks invaded and complained.....

Any person who wants to move to Kentucky and is willing to smell a little manure occassionally will be most welcome, but come and complain and you will not be accepted.

I hope this helps people thinking of moving to Kentucky. We will accept you, but you must accept us as we are too.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:40 PM

221 posts, read 751,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Census hit it right on the barrel head; however, I think your goal is more towards making others accept you rather than you accepting others.

Reminds me of an old story about the pig farmer and the people from the city who built a house next door. The city folks wanted the fine joys associated with country living, less traffic, room to frolic, etc. So, the property next to the farmer's property was just perfect. Well that is until the farmer did what he had done and his father had done for decades, they hauled the pig manure out and spread it on their land. Oh, did it stink.... so much the city folks complained and forced the farmer to change his ways. No longer could he make a living because the city folks invaded and complained.....

Any person who wants to move to Kentucky and is willing to smell a little manure occassionally will be most welcome, but come and complain and you will not be accepted.

I hope this helps people thinking of moving to Kentucky. We will accept you, but you must accept us as we are too.

Most excellent story, tomocox!

SanFran: Anyone who has a Newfie is alright by me! The fox has me curious, though: what kind is it and how do you have a fox as a pet?

And others may know this: are there any ordinances about how many dogs one can have in a house or what kinds of animals can be pets in Louisville and other surrounding counties? THat might make a difference to OP.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:15 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,010 times
Wink Louisville vs San Francisco

A fox as a pet, cool. With those big dogs you would probably be best in a larger property like in Anchorage, East Jefferson County, or numerous areas through-out Oldham County.

You know I lived in Napa, Ca for many years and even commuted into San Francisco for a summer, love that city! Now I do take offense though that you don't think Louisville is a "real city". Yes, its smaller, but that is why the locals like it! Much easier to get in and out of than San Francisco! Just try to get around Market Street compared to the 4th St. area. Hah. No Golden Gate or Bay Bridge though or those cool seriously steep hills [don't forget your parking brake!], but also a LOT less crime to worry about, as well as the seriously high cost of living [whew!]

I think each city has its own flavor and you either like it or not. I thought Cincinnati was beautiful from the outside, but not as clean on the inside as Louisville. Now I agree with you if you were talking about Lexington, now that city seems more like a suburb city that has expanded out. Very clean though!! San Francisco is definately one of the most characteristic Big Cities in the USA though that is for sure. I hate Los Angeles compared to SF, no character at all and too spread-out.

You will definately find the East Louisville area or Oldham County area to be MUCH more conservative than the liberals of SF [like night and day I would think!], but everybody I have met is very nice so far. As long as you don't push your agenda on them, they won't push on you [other than maybe asking you what church you go to, hah], but you might need to be prepared for some spirited debates! Me and my family are moving soon from So Cal to Oldham County [and we actually want too!] because being the opposite of you, were conservative republicans surrounded by a lot of liberals!

My wife listens to Dr. Laura [yeah, I know, you either love her or hate her], she would recommend staying where you are if you love where you live and your family is there. Jobs come and go, family doesn't, especially a happy family. Never good to take a family somewhere that you and them don't really want to go. Always other jobs to take to stay local. Obviously other factors like schools can also be a influence. Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area