Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:03 AM

172 posts, read 512,152 times

Advertisements

May have a job in Shelbyville... can anyone enlighten me about the area?
Economic climate, Housing, Food, Entertainment, etc. All will be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:42 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,793,542 times
It's relatively close to the east end of Jefferson County with great shopping, entertainment, restaurants, etc. Shelby County is booming but still has a nice rural atmosphere, which has it's good points and bad.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 7,617 times
Hello, We have lived in Shelbyville for 4 years and like it very much. The school our child attends is very good. Resturants are very good and Louisville is very nearby for more variety. I love Sawdust and Stitches located downtown. It's a nice country/christian themed gift/decor shop. It's a nice, clean medium size town. There is a large mexican population. I feel the same as you and understand where your coming from. It's annoying going to Wal-mart and hearing Spanish over the store. I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to work and does not have to be supported by those of us who do work. But it angers me that people who don't want to work or get more services and rights than us who do work and are citizens because they are illigal or don't work. But in all honesty, Shelbyville is a very good place to live. We have had a string of robberies lately mostly on fast food places. But thank God they haven't been violent. I feel safe here and I'm not afraid to let my chlldren go for a walk around our neighborhood ingroups of course. They are pre-teen. The people for the most part are frienly. We have a very nice theater, bowling lanes, antique stores, parks, aqua center with other recreation. There's a old school downtown that has been turned into a super nice shopping "mall" with very unique and expensive things. Just plain lovely. I believe it was a school for women. So that's a history spot as well. It also holds a nice resturant but we haven't eaten there so I can't tell you about the food. We do love the Bistro, Cattlemans Steak House, Cracker Barrell, Chinese and Mexican food with a variey of fast food. Also a Waffle House and Sliders!! Hope this helps and welcome to Shelbyville.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 7,617 times
Nealneal is responding to the family relocating from California but Indiana is welcomed to draw info from post as well

Old 04-19-2008, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,637 times
Default I understand your concern

Hi I was reading the message that was put on the forum. I do understand many peopels concern about Shelbyville being populated with mexican. I can see why some poeple are very concern,but one thing that many pepole do not realize is that Ilegal imigrants do not live off the goverment they have no help what so ever from state of federal grants. They work very hard for what they obtain. I know that some like to drink alot but that is like in any culture they are good people and bad. There are times that I get very upset when I listen to people saying " they are taking away our jobs" Jobs that some poeple would not do even if they get paid what the job is worth. I respect everyones point of view but we have to think before we speak. No I AM NOT MEXICAN. I just see that some people are not educated when it comes to understanding other cultures.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:32 PM

27 posts, read 81,206 times
adelinajun, many illegals are in fact welfare recipients. many are also in state and federal prisons, which is also a drain on society. Of course, many more are hard-working, taxpaying, contributing members of society.

My main question would be, where's the crystal ball that tells you they're illegal? Just because you see people speaking Spanish doesn't mean that they weren't born here -- maybe they're just more comfortable speaking Spanish! In the past, people assimilated, these days, folks form ethnic communities and largely stay there. This is true of ethnic Mexicans, but also Russians, Koreans, Chinese, etc.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:09 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times
Illegals are not eligible for welfare but their children who are born here can be eligible for it and so Mom and Dad get the checks. Illegals are literally bankrupting some cities and states - their children fill our schools to over-capacity (in some states) - while their parents pay no taxes to support the schools, they get medical care from our hospitals (for which they can't pay), they don't register their cars, or get driver's licenses - they get in accidents with no insurance (so the insured party pays), they usually don't have taxes taken out of their under-the-table salaries....I could go on and on. I live in So. California - believe me illegals can cause a lot of economic problems. I have no problems at all with anyone who comes here legally and I'm sure there are many hardworking illegals that give more than they take - bottom line is - they are illegal.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:13 PM

172 posts, read 512,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Illegals are not eligible for welfare but their children who are born here can be eligible for it and so Mom and Dad get the checks. Illegals are literally bankrupting some cities and states - their children fill our schools to over-capacity (in some states) - while their parents pay no taxes to support the schools, they get medical care from our hospitals (for which they can't pay), they don't register their cars, or get driver's licenses - they get in accidents with no insurance (so the insured party pays), they usually don't have taxes taken out of their under-the-table salaries....I could go on and on. I live in So. California - believe me illegals can cause a lot of economic problems. I have no problems at all with anyone who comes here legally and I'm sure there are many hardworking illegals that give more than they take - bottom line is - they are illegal.
I couldn't have said it any better! Echo! Echo!
Become Americanized, respect our culture, and learn English, or go home!

Old 04-22-2008, 05:51 PM

37 posts, read 120,612 times
Hello,

I live in California, and I lived in Mexico for 6 weeks. The Mexicans make plans to come up here to have babies so they can get welfare. My boys and I cannot get on many programs here in my county, but they have EVERY welfare, medical care and free legal help available to them with trained operators who speak Spanish. They do not pay taxes! There is a low cost dental clinic that turned me away because I was not a minority, and McDonalds offer scholarships only to "minorities"....NONWHITEs. I think they ought to be sued.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:53 PM

27 posts, read 81,206 times
I know it's technically correct that illegal adults can't get welfare for themselves, but many places are prohibiting social service agencies from inquiring about immigration status. I'm sure many adult illegals are getting some form of welfare. I'm choosing to believe that they're a small minority of illegals, but I don't think anyone knows for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area