Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:46 PM

15 posts, read 47,776 times

Advertisements

My family & I will be moving to the Louisville area this coming summer. I have been trying to research the best place for schools, low crime rate, affordable & nice housing with at least an acre of land, things to do and so on. We are considering Oldham County, possibly Crestwood or LaGrange. Does anyone have any knowledge of these cities or possibly a better place to live? Shelbyville is another area we have been looking. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 11:35 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,008,243 times
Hi

I grew up in western Ky (and not live in far northwest corner of MN) but have immediate family who built a home between Ballardsville and Crestwood many years ago and still live there. Oldham county has long had a very excellent school system, certainly one of the best, if not the best, in the state. As with many school districts in Kentucky, it is a county school system. There are several elementary schools, middle schools and 3 or 4 high schools in the county but they all are under one school district. Continues to grow at a rapid pace with lots of subdivisions in a semi-hilly terrain environment. La Grange is the county seat and is fast growing with many restaurants now there. Lots of kids in the county. My neice is married to a young pedetrician who started his own practice south of La Grange due to the lack of doctors specializing in kids in the area. I dont know about prices, etc of homes there. You do have many new homes to choose from, and some older homes built back in the 70s and 80s with land. Low crime rate and overall nice area to live. Lots of two lane roads/highways, so traffic could be an issue. If you need to commute into Louisville be sure to get a place near I-71, such as La Grange, Buckner, and Brownsboro.

I hope this helps

Dan

Old 09-21-2006, 02:01 PM

Dan,
Thanks so much for the info., much appreciated. You had mentioned living near I-71 what about (I think) interstate 22? Which appears to be by Crestwood, Centerfield & Ballardsville. Would that take us into Louisville? Do you know what kind of stores are in that area for shopping? Could you recommend a different place for us to look?

Thanks,

Deaneen

Old 09-21-2006, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,912 times
Default Louisville

Hi Deaneen, I moved here from Phoenix and originally from Denver Now in Lexington Kentucky and love it. Louisville and Lexington have a hometown feeling but still plenty to do. By the way Louisville is pronounced Lou A Vul out here. Shelbyville has a much smaller feeling but very nice and close enough to Louisville. Depends on what you are looking for. The economy is really stable in Louisville and Lexington too and lower crime than Phoenix area by far. [cut]Roger

Last edited by Marka; 09-23-2006 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: no advertising on the forum please

Old 09-22-2006, 01:34 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,008,243 times
Deaneen,

That is Highway 22, which runs a few miles south of I-71. Highway 22 runs from I-265 loop through Pewee Valley...Crestwood....Centerfield...to Ballardsville. My brother and his family live along just off of Highway 22 just east of Centerfield and their kids went to Centerfield Elementary, which I checked on the Oldham county schools web site is a National Blue Ribbon school. They moved out that way back in 1979 to avoid the whole school busing issue in Louisville at that time. Now that whole area has built up with lots and lots of subdivisions. More homes than true shopping centers as most people go into the suburbs of Louisville to shop. I think the nearest big mall is the Mall at St Matthews, right off the Waterson Expressway (I-264). I know La Grange has gotten lots of restaurants (chain style) and likely some shopping but I dont think any big mall.

While I know the area pretty well, I caution that I have not actually been to Oldham county for 10 years or so ever since moving up to northwest Minnesota and northeast North Dakota where I live now. So...as for shopping I will defer that option to others who live in that area now. Same for roads as used to be all two lane, but Highway 22 was going 4 lane in the lower end from Crestwood to Pewee Valley I thought back in the 90s.

My brother and his family love it there and my neice and her husband have two small kids which they are putting into Oldham county schools and they love it there too. Very very family oriented but a drive to Louisville for big time shopping/food. Hopefullly others who live near the area now can let you know the current picture regarding home prices, shopping. But certainly Oldham county remains the pick county overall I think.

I have never been to Shelbyville so cannot speak for that area. I grew up in western KY and not too familiar with Lexington area.

Summers can be hot and humid...often 90 during the day and 70s at night June-August and very humid. Louisville area does get quite a few severe storms though. Winters are mild with some snow...though not much.
I had to move from Kentucky as I disliked the summers and plus had to go out of state to obtain my college degree.

Good luck.
Dan

Old 09-22-2006, 01:26 PM

70 posts, read 206,466 times
You may want to consider looking in the Shelby County/Shelbyville area. If you live there, you will have easy access to I-64 which takes you directly into Louisville or will put you closer to Lexington also. Shelbyville is a lovely small town and has nice schools.

There are new subdivisions being built near the interstate just south of town off Route U.S. 53 and U.S. 55. It has lots with acreage where the homes aren't sitting right on top of one another, lol

The crime rate is low in that area too. I'm not sure what kind of "activities" you're looking for in reference to children, adults, etc. Since that is so close to Louisville there are many things for children there like Kentucky Kingdom, the Louisville Zoo, etc. That area also provides good fishing and camping.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:57 PM

Roger,
Hi, [cut] When did you leave Arizona? We live in Glendale, AZ. my husband will be transfering to Louisville that's why we have to look in that area. He actually has a daughter that lives in Mt. Sterling, I like the Lexignton area also. Lots of pretty horse farms & beautiful old homes. Are you familiar with the Louisville area? Where would you recommend living? Is Crestwood like Scottsdale? I keep hearing that it very affluant and such. Honestly we are also very tired of what is happening here in Arizona with all our immigration problems, we seem to have become the minority everywhere we go. We have such a hard time finding people who still speak English here. It has just become frustrating for us, we just want to live in a safe area where our son has playmates that he can talk with. (as crazy as that sounds, it's the truth) We have such a diverse neighborhood that he has a hard time finding friends. We have many, many transplants here from other Countries that do not speak our language. In other words do you know if that is the situation in the Louisville area? We are looking for an area that offers larger lots, (one or more acres) safe and friendly with good schools. A place where we can spend the next 15 yrs or so raising our family. How would you compare the summers there to here in AZ? I've heard the summers are very hot & humid, is there a big problem with mosquitos? I can't imagine anywhere being hotter than here in the dessert, we had an average temp. of around 118 in July. I'm sure it will be a big adjustment, what did you find to be the biggest for you? Thanks for your input, talk with you later.

Deaneen

Last edited by Marka; 09-23-2006 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: private message

Old 02-06-2007, 12:09 PM

8 posts, read 32,360 times
I thought we pronounced it luvul

Old 02-07-2007, 12:13 AM

What does that mean? I thought maybe you had something informative to tell me!!!!!!!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:50 AM

850 posts, read 3,159,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martharugg View Post
I thought we pronounced it luvul
Deaneen - it's a joke. The pronunciation of Louisville has been a long time joke amongst citizens and visitors alike!

It is helpful to know that pronunciation of 'louis ville' signifys you have not been here long.

' louie ville' shows you are trying to speak as correctly as you can (many from the city will call it that.)

'lu vul ' is the pronunciation you will hear from anyone who has lived around here forever.

Just a happy thought and funny note to bring you up to speed with the natives!

Yes - Oldham county or Shelbyville will both be great - both have excellent schools, with Oldham ranked slightly higher I believe, but many are now homeschooling as well. check this out: http://www.kde.state.ky.us/KDE/

LaGrange in Oldham county is right off I-71, and gives access to Louisville easily, along with shopping and dining spots, along with quaint little antique and gift shops in the middle of town.

I have not been to Shelbyville in a while, but it is a great little town as well - and is pretty centrally located to Lexington or Louisville.

http://www.lagrangeky.net/
http://www.preserveamerica.gov/4-20-...agrangeKY.html
(I thought this was a neat tidbit of info)

thought the above were two grest sites and...
http://www.uky.edu/KentuckyAtlas/ky-shelbyville.html
http://www.shelbyvillekentucky.com/

these will help with Shelbyville as well.

You will be happy wherever you land - as most Kentuckians never met a stranger, and will go out of their way to help.

Good luck to you, and welcome! Glad to have you!
Kimmiey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area