Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 05:02 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlymarie30 View Post
You have no idea what my personal experience with Oldham County Schools happens to be, please feel free to continue living in your fantasy world where the "best" is really just a front for discrimination against kids with special needs. They only serve the best and brightest, if you fall below that be prepared for your kid to be lied about to your face by teachers and administrators while they simultaneously try to expell them from their "perfect" elementary school. I am so glad I don't live anywhere near Oldham Co, which is a pit of overzealous elitism. It's easy for a school system to rank at the top when they push out everyone except the most elite.
Sorry to burst your bubble and hopefully I've made more than a few people think twice about Oldham County if they happen to have a kid that needs extra help.
"Truly progressive" that's the funniest thing I have ever read.
You are correct, I have no knowledge of your personal in-depth experience with Oldham County Schools. Nor do you know much of mine. You certainly don't know much of my experience with other "best of Kentucky" school districts either. You have no knowledge of my experience with JCPS professionals and parental involvement, either.

So cut the crap, let's talk about the facts that do exist. Putting people down who don't match your "ideal profile" doesn't accomplish anything more but doing what liberals do best, derail and detract.

Brightest and best? Oh? I am certain that ignoring the brightest and best, as JCPS often does, makes it a better school system, but since you are on the subject, your issue with OC sounds like a personal situation. I regret that your experience was bad, and just as there are people such as you who have had bad situations in OC, there are occasionally a rare and very minor number of exceptional children who are allowed to attend duPont Manual, maybe Ballard, Eastern, or Male.

We must step forward to call the cards as they fall. There are issues that OC & Indiana schools must improve, but in a huge majority of head to head matters, OC and Indiana beat the other area public schools in the eyes of experts hands down.

What I see in JCPS, as a Realtor who serves buyers and sellers throughout the entire Metropolitan Statistical Area, is the number of immigrant families (an immigrant is not just someone from another nation) who are frustrated by the promises of the JCPS administration, especially when the rules of school assignment are not fully explained or comprehended.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 PM

39 posts, read 112,788 times
Default From a LouKY newcomer

We moved to Louisville exactly a month ago. We live in the "dreaded" suburbs, in the JeffCo side of Prospect. Because we have two school-age children, we did a lot of research about schools before we moved. We talked to our future neighbors, people we met through the future employer, our realtor, our banker, and people we met through a church group. The universal opinion from all of these people (and I'm not exaggerating here): There are really good schools in JCPS (our resides school happens to be one of them), but there are no guarantees—and, in fact, chances are not very good—that your child will get into one of the good schools. This is especially true for people who are moving into the district with school-age children. There are phenomenal magnet programs, and the traditional schools are very good. But the application process is cumbersome and lengthy, and the acceptance rate is low. And again, this is especially true for people who are moving into the district. Let me reiterate: this is what current residents, some of whom have kids in JCPS schools, told us. In short, no one we've talked with is really very happy with or happy to recommend JCPS schools as a whole.

For us, it boiled down to this: Is my child's education worth the crap shoot that is the current JCPS system? The answer for us was no. Your answer might be different.

School drama (and rain!) aside, we have loved our first month here. We have found people to warm, welcoming, and friendly (but I also believe you find what you put out). There's a lot to do, and most of it is within very easy access from almost anywhere in the city.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 PM

27 posts, read 33,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InkFiend View Post
We moved to Louisville exactly a month ago. We live in the "dreaded" suburbs, in the JeffCo side of Prospect. Because we have two school-age children, we did a lot of research about schools before we moved. We talked to our future neighbors, people we met through the future employer, our realtor, our banker, and people we met through a church group. The universal opinion from all of these people (and I'm not exaggerating here): There are really good schools in JCPS (our resides school happens to be one of them), but there are no guarantees—and, in fact, chances are not very good—that your child will get into one of the good schools. This is especially true for people who are moving into the district with school-age children. There are phenomenal magnet programs, and the traditional schools are very good. But the application process is cumbersome and lengthy, and the acceptance rate is low. And again, this is especially true for people who are moving into the district. Let me reiterate: this is what current residents, some of whom have kids in JCPS schools, told us. In short, no one we've talked with is really very happy with or happy to recommend JCPS schools as a whole.

For us, it boiled down to this: Is my child's education worth the crap shoot that is the current JCPS system? The answer for us was no. Your answer might be different.

School drama (and rain!) aside, we have loved our first month here. We have found people to warm, welcoming, and friendly (but I also believe you find what you put out). There's a lot to do, and most of it is within very easy access from almost anywhere in the city.
Good post. We survived (for a while) JCPS until it was impossible to do so. Our kids now have great opportunities for college that would not have been possible if we had stayed in that system.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmorganj View Post
Good post. We survived (for a while) JCPS until it was impossible to do so. Our kids now have great opportunities for college that would not have been possible if we had stayed in that system.
Luckily I never had to enter the system. Parents didn't want to deal with the poor facilites and terrible student assignment plan. They bit the bullet, worked over time, saved up some money, and sent three kids through private elementary and high school. My brother just graduated debt free from UL because of his scholarship and my sister will be entering PA school this fall. I'm surprised no one else brought up Louisville's Catholic schools. They are phenomenal schools, and the elementary school's really are not expensive at all. St. Margaret Mary, for example, is the highest ranked Catholic elementary school in Louisville and a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence and only has a first year tuition of around $2,000 followed by stewardship for the next few years. Many non religious families choose them just because of the quality of education received.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:04 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Louisville's Catholic schools are GREAT and there are some very good school sin JCPS. At the request of the OP, the thread is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area