Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 07:40 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,302,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Looks like the usual folks that try to assist the "where do I live" crowd got suckered into a dead end discussion. The OP already has a disdain for UofL and UK so how could anyone expect that decent feeder schools exist in the Bluegrass state. These replies were tame compared to a similar thread seeking the best schools in Chicago. Same cut/paste for the OP which is probably why the charter question was still in for Louisville's.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ic-option.html

I miss the usual bait questions on single wide trailers, race, or London, KY.
We are researching both Louisville and Chicago (and I had no idea KY did not acknowledge charters, helpful to learn) and yes, I do have a strong disdain for the UK Wildcats. What that has to do with anything...............I have no idea. Interesting you would link a thread I started and made the last post in, calling it bait. Thanks for your oh so helpful reply though.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 05-28-2013 at 07:52 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
The OP wants a charter school. There are none allowed by Kentucky law. The OP wants a good urban public school for their child, see the list below. So, while you are dis'n on me, why don't you tell the OP which area of Louisville which is urban that supports a decent school. Fact is even the JCPS schools that are good are suburban Jefferson County. Be certain to note which schools are by lottery.

Folks, I am flat out disgusted with JCPS. There is not a reason in this world why this school system shouldn't be one of the best large school districts in the nation, but the facts are it is downright pitiful. 10 high schools rank at the bottom 10 in the entire state of Kentucky. This means that the 10 high schools get their students from about 30 equally weak elementary schools.

But again, don't mind me. Facts don't matter when politics are in play.

Top Ranked Elementary Schools in Kentucky | LocalSchoolDirectory.com
OP was curious about charter schools as an option, I now know they don't exist in KY. Good to know. Thanks.

I plugged in an address we were looking at, and it says the geographically assigned school is Bloom Elementary. Let me ask you this, is it your opinion that Bloom Elementary is sub-standard? Does JCPS change the assigned school on an annual basis?

Old 05-28-2013, 08:56 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,317,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
OP was curious about charter schools as an option, I now know they don't exist in KY. Good to know. Thanks.

I plugged in an address we were looking at, and it says the geographically assigned school is Bloom Elementary. Let me ask you this, is it your opinion that Bloom Elementary is sub-standard? Does JCPS change the assigned school on an annual basis?
I don't think there is one person posting on this forum that has the exceptional ability to judge what is acceptable for you and your family. Yet, by following the Kentucky Department of Education and it's reports as one key resource, then as I reported earlier, there is not a public school inside of I-264 that I personally would feel comfortable enrolling my children in.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I don't think there is one person posting on this forum that has the exceptional ability to judge what is acceptable for you and your family. Yet, by following the Kentucky Department of Education and it's reports as one key resource, then as I reported earlier, there is not a public school inside of I-264 that I personally would feel comfortable enrolling my children in.
Fair enough.

I will say Bloom does compare favorably to some of the "default" IPS schools. From the sounds of it, and this is not based on this thread alone, it sounds like in Louisville we are more likely to find a geographically assigned school we like. Which is good, because it sounds like Louisville is lacking in magnet and charters (obviously).

Old 05-29-2013, 07:36 AM

165 posts, read 309,961 times
I know this won't be news to anyone, but I always bring it up in school discussions. I'm married to a teacher, and I've been amazed to see the difference in experiences and outcomes among the kids in her class, despite being in the same school and having the same teacher. Natural ability plays some small role, but by far the biggest determiner of whether a student's going to be successful is their home environment. Students with engaged parents who live in a home where learning is valued do well; those who don't have that kind of home environment usually struggle.

I'm not saying school quality doesn't matter; there's no denying test results showing that good schools tend to produce better outcomes on average. But just sending your kids to a good school isn't enough, and, more relevant to people in situations like Toast's, an engaged family can go a long way towards making up for the deficiencies of a mediocre school.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:05 AM

27 posts, read 33,683 times
Bloom is a pit. Had kids that went there, and the same principal is still there. Many good teachers / staff left. My kids have moved on and are elsewhere, and doing well Despite having gone to Bloom, Noe, Highland, etc. They were a little behind when we moved out of JCPS, but eventually caught up...........kind of. JCPS is a Disaster of a school district.

If you look at the lowest qualifying score for Nation Merit consideration (which is what we are looking at these days) Kentucky is 5 points lower than Illinois. I think that says something.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:18 AM

27 posts, read 33,683 times
One last thing. On the PSAT you either make a 208 or above (in Kentucky) to qualify regardless of if you are in a public school, private school, parochial school, or home-educated.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:41 AM

89 posts, read 112,942 times
I feel for you OP. Louisville is a great city, but the people in this forum are pretty much a taste of what you will find in the area. Closed-minded, urban/diversity haters who would like nothing better than to raze the entire downtown and surrounding areas and turn it into another Hillcrest Subdivision. The schools in Jefferson County will NEVER be good because there are too many people fighting to keep them bad. The end.
PM me if you would like some info on Cincinnati Public Schools. My daughter will be going to an urban magnet Montessori in the Fall. We are thrilled to live in an urban neighborhood and have a decent public school system that is supported by the community. Eventually, we hope she will attend Walnut Hills which was once again ranked as the top high school in the state of Ohio and is GASP! in an urban district...shhh don't tell anyone on this forum about that though. Your schools could be great, but you will never allow it because that might mean that people you see as below you might get a decent education.
I absolutely agree with the poster that stated that Oldham county schools are not the be all end all. From personal, family experience, their handling of special needs is atrocious, and can even be said to be bordering on outright illegal discrimination.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:18 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,317,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlymarie30 View Post
I feel for you OP. Louisville is a great city, but the people in this forum are pretty much a taste of what you will find in the area. Closed-minded, urban/diversity haters who would like nothing better than to raze the entire downtown and surrounding areas and turn it into another Hillcrest Subdivision. The schools in Jefferson County will NEVER be good because there are too many people fighting to keep them bad. The end.
PM me if you would like some info on Cincinnati Public Schools. My daughter will be going to an urban magnet Montessori in the Fall. We are thrilled to live in an urban neighborhood and have a decent public school system that is supported by the community. Eventually, we hope she will attend Walnut Hills which was once again ranked as the top high school in the state of Ohio and is GASP! in an urban district...shhh don't tell anyone on this forum about that though. Your schools could be great, but you will never allow it because that might mean that people you see as below you might get a decent education.
I absolutely agree with the poster that stated that Oldham county schools are not the be all end all. From personal, family experience, their handling of special needs is atrocious, and can even be said to be bordering on outright illegal discrimination.
Closed-minded, urban/diversity haters? I believe the pot just called the black. Seems to me the people who are wanting improvement in JCPS are anything but urban/diversity haters. I will assume that you have included me in your pot. Instead of looking at those of us whom you have branded as haters, why not look as us as people who are truly progressive and seek to raise the opportunities for all children to the levels of self-determination? Why would I hate urban situations that condemn the market value of real estate?

And as far as Oldham County being perfect, I haven't seen one poster on this forum who believes what you say we do. There is plenty of room for Oldham County schools to improve. It just so happens that the powers that be, not me, believe that Oldham County ranks at the top of Kentucky schools.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:05 PM

89 posts, read 112,942 times
You have no idea what my personal experience with Oldham County Schools happens to be, please feel free to continue living in your fantasy world where the "best" is really just a front for discrimination against kids with special needs. They only serve the best and brightest, if you fall below that be prepared for your kid to be lied about to your face by teachers and administrators while they simultaneously try to expell them from their "perfect" elementary school. I am so glad I don't live anywhere near Oldham Co, which is a pit of overzealous elitism. It's easy for a school system to rank at the top when they push out everyone except the most elite.
Sorry to burst your bubble and hopefully I've made more than a few people think twice about Oldham County if they happen to have a kid that needs extra help.
"Truly progressive" that's the funniest thing I have ever read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area