Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:16 AM

947 posts, read 2,404,266 times

Advertisements

So what do yall think of the Louisiana schools? I know that in different parishes and town\cities they might differ but in general? Me personally I think they lack especially in the special education department! In my experience with my son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 02:12 PM

763 posts, read 2,668,036 times
Well I kept thinking someone would reply to this but no one has.

Out of the 5 or so schools in my local area, I would give 2 the thumbs up. The others really don't seem to be up to par. I want go into any details on my opinion so don't ask.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:15 PM

768 posts, read 4,399,005 times
Louisiana schools, in general, are pretty bad. But in some areas they're much better than others. I know Bossier Parish Schools are always among the top in the state, and many of them win national blue ribbon awards each year. I believe some schools in suburban Baton Rouge, as well as some in Lafayette, also fall into this category.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:51 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,526,266 times
The only schools that I can talk about are the ones in my area and for the most part they are deplorable. The NOPS district has been almost completely privatized and is beginning to improve. You have schools like Warren Easton that are ok and then you have Ben Franklin which is a blue ribbon school. The state run RSD is horrible and I was told by some teachers that many of the students are undesirables, troubled, and special needs kids that the Orleans Parish District schools rejected. The NOPS charters seem to be the best thing to happen to the district and they seem to me making strides but the application process allows discrimination. As for the true private schools in the city, some are good others and the rest are just a name. Schools in Jefferson Parish are better, although some not by much. They say the St. Tammany schools are excellent but from my understanding, excellent by Louisiana standards is probably just average or good when compared national standards.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:10 PM

32 posts, read 139,892 times
I think the schools are pretty awful, and I am a teacher who taught in the "top ranking" system in Louisiana for 10 years. That is nothing to brag about, if you ask me.

I think much of the problem is the "good ol' boy system" that carries over to the schools. I saw a lot of people get jobs that they were not best qualified for just because of who they knew or who their parents were. Many teachers, like myself, who have high credentials and a great record leave because we are tired of dealing with the politics.

Add to that the tenure system (making it seemingly impossible to fire bad teachers), administrators bowing to threats of parents and children (fearing lawsuits), and a lack of respect for education in general....and you've got a mess on your hands.

I left the school system when my older son started school. We both went into the private school system where I am very pleased. My younger son is learning disabled. There is really nothing for him here once he hits school age. (I've been staying at home since he was born working with him and using Early Steps.) That is the reason we are moving out of state. He turns 3 this summer. We sold our house just in time.

That being said, I got a great education in Bossier Parish. I don't know if the politics are the same as where I taught, but it never seemed that way to me as a student.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:18 PM

180 posts, read 669,184 times
In Caddo Parish, terrible. I made it through 12 years of school in Caddo Parish without being diagnosed as dyslexic. I didn't discover it until college. My teachers basically gave up on me and just passed me along. Thankfully, I was bright and eventually taught myself to read and then I played catch-up for several years and was "on level" by high school. The magnet schools get all the smart kids and the rest are shuffled along to graduation. There's some discussion of Caddo Parish schools in the Adjusting to Shreveport thread.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:36 PM

I do not know how but I am getting my son out of the school he is in. I want him out before the next school year!

Old 03-16-2009, 05:39 PM

763 posts, read 2,668,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
I do not know how but I am getting my son out of the school he is in. I want him out before the next school year!
You probably gotta move to achieve that. I don't know. My sister-in-law got her son in the Shongaloo school somehow.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Island View Post
You probably gotta move to achieve that. I don't know. My sister-in-law got her son in the Shongaloo school somehow.
That is my plan to move! I wanna look for houses but it is hard to do when you do not have time to look.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:38 PM

42 posts, read 326,289 times
We love love love Shongaloo School. I was a third-generation Shongaloo student, and my son is now in first grade there. Safest, most friendly school ever, with an awesome principal, teachers who really care, and a family atmosphere. Love it and highly recommend it to anyone, although we do want to keep it small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana