Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:23 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaf623 View Post
However, there are areas to the north of Bunkie that have a very strong Cajun presence, such as the towns of Marksville, Hessmer, Mansura, and Moreauville. .
I agree. I was born in Cottonport. My Dad is from Plaucheville and my Mom is from Bordelonville. Many people in this area still speak French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassarina View Post
Why I love Louisiana. The culture is awesome. The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival is wonderful! Everyone on the planet should experience it at least 5 times in their lifetime. Mardi Gras, Brass band music such as the bands Soul Rebel,Rebirth Brass Band etc. Frenchman street in New Orleans where there are several clubs on the street where you can hear live music and catch famous musicians at Snug Harbor or hear reggae,rock or salsa at Cafe Brasil or eat Middle Eastern at Mona's or fried shrimp at Snug Harbor and listen to jazz. The people! Second Lines!The French Quarter! Soft shelled crab poboys. I miss and love so many things about Louisiana. I love sno balls and pralines and taking the ferry across the Mississippi River. I can finally say that I know what it means to miss New Orleans!
I'm a Louisiana native and a former resident of the New Orleans metropolitan area (1962 to 1976). I was born in central Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish). Your post really brings back memories. I really do miss so many of the things you mentioned. I still have relatives in Louisiana (mostly central Louisiana). I was there for a family reunion a few weeks ago and really enjoyed my visit. I think I put on a few pounds while I was there as I ate very well everywhere I went. Now you've done it! I'm homesick again.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:39 PM

48 posts, read 120,926 times
Hi jguillot. This listing appears in honor of you and your kind spirit. (had to scratch for it dude, you know all about my internal struggle. LOL)

10 Things I Love About Louisiana (and would miss if I didn't have them) In No Particular Order of Importance

Note: Please keep in mind I've had very little exposure to northern Louisiana at all, that's why such locale is not referenced here.

1) Port of Call restaurant, home of FANTASTIC cheeseburgers with grated cheddar, and the largest loaded baked potato you will ever eat. (also the most perfect place to nurse a hangover, it's dark and dank like a dungeon. I, however, have not nursed a hangover in many years now!)

2) Plantations. Beautiful.

3) Shopping. It's GREAT.

4) Vampire tours / carriage rides in the square. Kinda cool. Okay, very cool.

5) My house. It's custom, and we put our heart, soul, and pocketbook into it. If I leave, I'll never have a place this excellent again and I know it.

(I'm really sweating it trying to come up with more stuff that *I* like)

6) Cliche, but true: the food is exquisite. And I don't even like seafood really, which is THE staple in southern La. The restaurants are FAB, my fave is Ruth's Chris.

7) Festivals. Plentiful, and a kick in the pants. But we haven't gone for many years, it's just too crowded. Now especially.

8, 9, and 10: Have to think harder. I knew this wouldn't be easy.

:-)

Old 08-31-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
Hi jguillot. This listing appears in honor of you and your kind spirit. (had to scratch for it dude, you know all about my internal struggle. LOL)

10 Things I Love About Louisiana (and would miss if I didn't have them) In No Particular Order of Importance

Note: Please keep in mind I've had very little exposure to northern Louisiana at all, that's why such locale is not referenced here.

1) Port of Call restaurant, home of FANTASTIC cheeseburgers with grated cheddar, and the largest loaded baked potato you will ever eat. (also the most perfect place to nurse a hangover, it's dark and dank like a dungeon. I, however, have not nursed a hangover in many years now!)

2) Plantations. Beautiful.

3) Shopping. It's GREAT.

4) Vampire tours / carriage rides in the square. Kinda cool. Okay, very cool.

5) My house. It's custom, and we put our heart, soul, and pocketbook into it. If I leave, I'll never have a place this excellent again and I know it.

(I'm really sweating it trying to come up with more stuff that *I* like)

6) Cliche, but true: the food is exquisite. And I don't even like seafood really, which is THE staple in southern La. The restaurants are FAB, my fave is Ruth's Chris.

7) Festivals. Plentiful, and a kick in the pants. But we haven't gone for many years, it's just too crowded. Now especially.

8, 9, and 10: Have to think harder. I knew this wouldn't be easy.

:-)

Hi Jamison,

Thanks for the great post! Yes, there are so many great things about New Orleans and all of Louisiana that I miss. I have not lived there since I entered the US Air Force in 1976. The Air Force sent me to California, but I stayed there after my enlistment ended because I was immediately offered a job with a military contractor. I've been living in California since then and I am now finding that I don't want to stay here after I retire. I'm sorry to say that I will probably never live in Louisiana again as my wife is not from there and has no desire to live there. She has agreeed to move to Tennessee, so we recently bought a 4 acre lot in a beautiful development near Monterey, Tennessee. I will continue to miss Louisiana, but I do plan to visit the state as often as possible. I know that I will like Tennessee. We have visited the state several times and love it. At least, I will be back in the south!

Old 08-31-2007, 08:52 PM

48 posts, read 120,926 times
Hi Jg, thanks for the encouragement. (grin) I always wonderred what the big deal was about California and never knew - until I got to spend a few days in Santa Barbara!!! I could not believe how gorgeous that place was!! (our eyes bugged out of our heads to read the local real estate mags, and see shacks - SHACKS I tell you! - listed for half a million and up) I am sorry you will miss Louisiana.... I am still in the process of trying to determine whether *I* will miss it. I've been here since I was 9, and I don't want to make a mistake I can't rectify.

Yes, tranquil eastern TN is my ideal.... I hear actual humans live there, you know, those beings that smile, wave, speak kindly, help you when you need it, make you feel you are "home"/in a safe place, and generally make you thank God you are no longer schlepping amongst the animals, who couldn't give a damn less whether you live or die.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 5,623 times
Default Thanks for the trip down memory lane

I enjoyed the thread and the stroll through memory lane and hope the original post was answered. I am a Baton Rouge native, with strong family ties and lifelong friends in the area that (I have to admit) compel me to 'come back home'! Nevertheless, now as a father - opposed to a young man that would frequent the 'Texas Club' or other similar/and not-so-similar night clubs in my Good Ole' Hometown - I can't help but to stay away. The state's politics are completely backwards, continually corrupt, and largely non-funtional. The crime and poverty of the metropolitan areas is stammering - yes there is crime everywhere - BUT the city of Baton Rouge (not the Greater BR Metro Area) with less than 250,000 people boasts nearly 60 homocides a year lately - San Diego, CA (with 1.5 million people, nearly 6 times the size) averages about the same number of homocides which is a a MUCH LOWER rate. Racism is abound everywhere in LA, mostly black to white and white to black. As a white guy in his late 30s, I grew up here and remember racism and the talk/hate that went along with it. My son does not know this. In Southern California there is so much to see and do, life is full of enjoyment and excitement - it costs about 4 times as much - but is worth every penny. I miss real Cajun food, and cook it regularly BUT someone was right on the mark when pointing out that other types of authentic food are completely absent, and Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is a chain, those are all over the place - I've even eaten at one of those in Asia. Nevertheless, LA is home to me and my friends and family will continue to drive me back there occasionally - but for my tastes and my son's education I prefer near to live near the 'other LA' in SoCal with the high home prices, and much softer racial overtones. Again, just one man's opinion, but I'd kill for a Danny and Clyde's Shrimp Poboy and about 5 lbs of fresh crawfish about now.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:25 PM

6 posts, read 26,957 times
Default Some cities worth looking into in Louisiana

While Louisiana ranks at the bottom of practically everything (education, industry, etc.) it does have some cities that are better than others. Here are some: Shreveport (economy strong), Baton Rouge (economy strong), Alexandria (economy better but a boring town). New Orleans is having problems right now. Monroe is a sad town, West Monroe is better, but boring.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,597 times
I moved to Louisiana 5 years ago when I met my husband on the net. I still live here. I love it here. I live close to Lafayette. There are the ups and downs, but most of all I have found the people to be friendly and the food is awsome. There are a few good schools around Lafayette, UL in Lafayette, LSU in Baton Rough. I have been to several cities in Louisiana like New Orleans, Baton Rough, and all the cities going up I 49 north. I would have to say that Lafayette is the best! There are lots of festivals here and always something to do. As for school for kids, I am not sure. My son will be starting kindergarden next year and I don't know how the school systems are!

Thanks,
Cindi

Last edited by Marka; 09-10-2007 at 03:28 AM.. Reason: don't post your email address here

Old 09-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,603 times
Default Br

I am happy that some people appreciate the state that we live in! I seriously do not think the crime rate is that bad, just give any city a few years and their crime rate will go up. believe me, I lived in a city in south Florida who boasted one of the lowest crime rates in the state of Florida and guess what? it now ranks as one of the highest and this in just 4 years. I feel very safe in Baton Rouge(exception, North Baton Rouge I do not feel safe in). I think the city is a great place for families. I am sure (to the person in California) it is great there, but I cannot afford it on a vet tech salary!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:31 PM

30 posts, read 159,181 times
Default BR is getting better fast

To be honest, Baton Rouge is getting much better. I've been here for 7 years, and it's gotten much larger and more diverse since I arrived. Restaurants and stores are popping up everywhere, and the city seems to be adapting to a much more urban mentality. I think I may be happy here after all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana