Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 10:51 PM

76 posts, read 507,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelAlyse View Post
I don't know how anyone can bash their home like that. I have wayyyy too much southern pride than that. Guess that's because I'm a true southerner and couldn't picture living anywhere BUT the south. North Carolina is as northern as I'd go.
I love the South, but there are obvious differences among the Southern states. The quality of life is much higher in Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina than ANYWHERE in Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 07:32 PM

169 posts, read 672,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveNOLA View Post
I love the South, but there are obvious differences among the Southern states. The quality of life is much higher in Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina than ANYWHERE in Louisiana.
Agreed - I wasn't "bashing" the South as RachelAlyse says...just stating that unless you REALLY need to be in LA its not the best place to live..quality of life is poor compared to other places - just MHO, that is all. It never really was a great place in the past and now, well... Unfortunately, LA had its chance and other Southern cities like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Raleigh/Charlotte, etc took the opportunities that LA opted out of. I wish it was different but it is what it is. Maybe this is the wake up call that spurs real change in LA. I sure hope so as the state needs it badly - its not fun being at the bottom of the list in everything all the time (along with MS).

However, if you are going to stay in the South, I have to agree that anywhere outside LA or MS the quality of life is MUCH better. North Carolina seems to be very high on the list. Honestly if I was not in CO, I would be in NC as that was my other option when I moved out of LA.

BTW that is not say NC or CO (or whatever) is the "promised land" b/c they are not. There is no town/city/state "perfect", just better town/city/states...it depends on what fits YOUR life and situation.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:28 PM

72 posts, read 297,201 times
We lived in Louisiana for four years, in Lake Charles. We left after the city was blown apart by Hurricane Rita. I looooved the people. I did not love the near constant humidity; my nickname for Louisiana was the Crotch Rot State. Mold is everywhere in the deep southern part, along with poisonous snakes, huge roaches and fireants, which I turned out to be highly reactive to.

I know, I know, people will say they lived there for 30 years and never saw a snake or a gator, well, I saw both. like, in my yard, under my deck and on my dock, numerous times. Fire ants, I cannot even begin to describe to you the hellfire sting, which lasts and lasts and lasts.......and one always found me, no matter how careful I tried to be.

The schools were actually better than some of the rundown North eastern states we had lived in....high blood pressure abounds because of the amount of salt in all the seasonings...they have a lot of MRSA in the area.....West Nile is there, yes, it exists, and yes, people get it, please don't say they don't, we're medical people and saw it every year....

Lake Charles is polluted; and after the hurricane, we all lined up to get tetanus and hepatitis shots, because the contaminated water had flooded the bayous(we lived on the bayou), and if you got cut or something cleaning up debris, it could be bad.....the two week bloody noses we all got from cleaning up the mold was bad enough, but there wasn't a shot for those...

You cannot imagine the wonderful people there, I miss them to this very day.....but after the bugs, the heat, the endless mold, humidity and my seriously affected allergies from both, the fire ants and the hurricanes, I'd had enough. I went back to the Northeast, where the people aren't as friendly, but I don't have to watch where I walk, or cough constantly from the mold. You trade some things for others, I guess.

Moving from one extreme in geography is challenging, and sometimes it works out and sometimes....it just doesn't fit your soul somehow, and you keep searching. I don't regret trying Louisiana.....it just didn't fit my soul, but maybe it can fit agordida's You never know until you try....good luck wherever you land.

To all the Southerners posting here, I don't miss the bugs and humidity, but I MISS you wonderful, courteous people....stay safe down there.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:53 AM

104 posts, read 832,792 times
Well, thank you for saying we are courteous people! I think you had it a little bad because of living on the Bayou. I am from Louisiana (Shreveport) left 11 yrs ago because of husband's job. I can't wait to get back! I would never want to live on the Bayou! Just as you said, too many snakes and gators!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:36 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times
Default 10 Reasons Why I Love Louisiana

1. It's home.
2. It's where my family lives.
3. REAL French bread.
4. The BEST seafood.
5. The BEST restaurants.
6. Mardi Gras.
7. My neighbors and community.
8. Friendly people.
9. Swamps.
10. The variety of cultures.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:22 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,269,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
1. It's home.
2. It's where my family lives.
3. REAL French bread.
4. The BEST seafood.
5. The BEST restaurants.
6. Mardi Gras.
7. My neighbors and community.
8. Friendly people.
9. Swamps.
10. The variety of cultures.
Thank you. Now everyone else, let's get back on topic, please, which is the reasons you LOVE LA. You're welcome to create another thread for reasons why you don't...

Old 07-01-2007, 05:24 PM

23 posts, read 69,563 times
I never really realized how much I did love La until I left. I've lived in the south all my life up until these last nearly 2 years. I moved to NO from MS in '92. I felt at home from the start. The folks, the food, the culture can't be beat. I live in the Northwest now (I've been boo-hooing on another thread about that), and although it's beautiful, it's not home. I just hope and pray NO will recover, although I know it will take years. I also pray it will regain the charm and beauty of what makes it like no other place on earth.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:45 AM

103 posts, read 391,987 times
I also new this forum too.So I glad to talk to you.But I'm a person who live in another country.So I can not help you.But I hope you can gain the information what you need.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:00 AM

359 posts, read 1,312,240 times
Default Where is North LA?

Would Monroe, Shreveport, be consider North?
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I apologize if I'm too late and the original poster has already made a decision one way or another.

From my personal experience, living in or very near Baton Rouge or New Orleans is the only way to go here. I have to say that what I've heard in reference to Lafayette from others has been overwhelmingly positive, though.

New Orleans is an amazingly diverse city, I've found. I have some amount of faith that it will persevere even after the harsh blow it suffered with Katrina. I really think there's something for everyone there. I feel the same way about Baton Rouge, where I've spent much of my time. It lacks the distinct personality New Orleans has, but there is enough going on and enough diversity in the population to keep me interested, personally. I don't really understand the assertion that it's bland, but I might be a little different from most, not being interested in the night life so much and all.

I would strongly advise against moving to north Louisiana. I've had plenty of relatives and friends experience it, and the term "backwards" hardly suffices.

In reference to the last poster's commentary on Zachary...I'm going to have to disagree on some accounts. Zachary schools have technically ranked as #1 for two years, I understand, but one has to consider that the community has a very small number of schools to worry with. St. Tammany Parish has consistently shown us high test scores from their public school students, and the number of schools they have is far greater. Ever since Zachary formed its own school system apart from East Baton Rouge Parish, this comparison between it and St. Tammany Parish has been unfair to the latter. On one hand, I don't mean to get this specific (you might not even be considering that particular area, or you might be thinking of parochial schools, anyway) but my understanding is that one receives a superior education in the Covington and Mandeville public schools (these are suburbs of New Orleans). As a former student of the Zachary schools, I have extremely mixed feelings. I had some outstanding teachers, no doubt... but many who were terrible. I find the town itself and its mentality insufferable. I understand that countless small towns in Louisiana (and across America) are characterized by this insular mindset.

Networking with others in one or another has shown me that Louisiana remains about a decade (sometimes less depending on the area) behind the rest of the country and the world. Of course, this is due to unfortunate events in history going back a few hundred years, at least, and so I can't really point fingers. But I have to say that if this isn't what you're used to, what's in your blood, you might find it isn't for you at all.

Yes indeed, I have found some exceptionally friendly and giving people here, people who aren't hardened and are willing to help out a stranger. But I do have to add that some of those same people would turn away if the person who wished for their help or friendship happened to be a member of a minority group. And many will be quite vocal about it, too.

Right now I'm happy where I am...don't get me wrong. I was born and bred here and it's a part of me, but I have serious doubts that others who are not accustomed to it can grow to love it.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:40 AM

76 posts, read 507,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeasisrael View Post
Would Monroe, Shreveport, be consider North?
Not North as in Yankee North. North and South Louisiana are culturally different, but you would never confuse North Louisiana for the Yankee North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana