Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 02:21 AM

1 posts, read 10,564 times

Advertisements

Interesting article related to increase in gangs on the website of a local television channel in Lafayette [url=http://www.klfy.com]KLFY TV 10 - Acadiana's Local News, Weather and Sports Leader | Home[/url] posted 1/29 (copied below as well). I have lived in Lafayette for 10 years and the dramatic number increase in crime, as well as the inability of the infrastructure to support the population increase has caused me to look for other places to live and to leave a place which had been a pleasant experience until Katrina.

[mod] sorry, links only, possible copyright issues[/mod]

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-01-2008 at 02:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 06:57 AM

768 posts, read 4,386,496 times
Unfortunately it was bound to happen in due time... Katrina or no Katrina. But what surprises me is that they are saying this all really started after Katrina. This surprises me, though, because while New Orleans has some street gangs, the biggest crime problems in New Orleans are and were individual and drug-related, not gang-related.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:45 PM

80 posts, read 129,207 times
After you ever read a news article/view news courage about "gang-related activity" that didn't mention the actual names of the alleged gangs???

I mean seriously, not one mention of any names at all.

The only evidence that is provided of this alleged "gang activity" is graffiti of people's nicknames, as if this is some rare occurence that is a guranteed indicator of a gang prescence.

Are you kidding me?

What's even more disappointing to me is that is alleged "gang-activity" is being corroborated by federal agents which suggest to me that this special task-force of federal agents don't have that great of understanding of criminal activity in this region of the state. I suspect that most of the agents assigned to that task-force that reported to KLFY aren't from Louisiana, but rather places where there are heavy gang activity -- they probably seen familiar patterns (graffiti, tatoos, nicknames, heavy drug/crime element) and jumped to this convenient conclusion.

What further bothers me about this news coverage is that it reads to me as a continued smear campaign by people/media in other cities (most notably Lafayette) to s**t on Katrina evacuees. I was in Lafayette about a week after Katrina hit and witnessed first-hand the spread of BS rumors and speculation of people from New Orleans doing this, doing that, "crime has tripled!!", etc. A lot of that turned out to be very untrue, fortunately, but that hasn't completely quited all the misinformation and speculation by those who reside in places that people in New Orleans evacuated to as a convenient attribution of their cities' negative characteristics/problems.

Am I implying that everyone in New Orleans are honest, law-abiding citizens? No.

Am I implying that Katrina evacuees hasn't contributed to any rise of criminial activity in all of the places they've evacuated to? No.

But this constant overexaggeration and misperception heavily gets on my nerves. I'm certain a lot of the speculation that I hear of people from other places is just that -- speculation. Nothing truly concrete to base their fear and apprehension on, just speculative theory. This news article/report is an illustration of that. How in the hell do you have audacity to create this perception that New Orleans brought gangs to Lafayette post-Katrina without even providing the name of even a one gang? Just ONE?? Who are these gangs??? If you're going to inform the people of the Acadiana area of a huge criminal dynamic, at least do the service of informing them with some defined indicators of this supposed "new criminial dynamic" that the public can identify with mod cutto aid them in their awareness as to prevent future crimes. Don't continue to inject fear, panic, and tension into the public based off some nope, offensive to some graffiti.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-01-2008 at 03:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana