Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:57 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,838 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea. I am sure Katrina did nothing to keep it alive sinse so many people were forced to move out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 12:35 AM

28 posts, read 125,430 times
There used to be a considerable population of Cajun French speakers in/around Lafayette. At least I used to hear alot!Google is your friend for exact numbers.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:32 AM

438 posts, read 1,508,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Does anyone have any idea. I am sure Katrina did nothing to keep it alive sinse so many people were forced to move out of state.
Cajun French started to die out shortly after WWII. My dad, a baby-boomer, spoke only French until he went to school. The schools discouraged students from speaking French. Subsequently, the language almost died out. Many older people still speak French, especially in smaller towns. My dad still speaks to his father, aunts, uncles, and older cousins in French. What the state has done recently is implement a French Immersion program, where young schoolchildren are taught in both French and English. Of course, it isn't Cajun French. My sisters have gone through the program and are fluent in French, though they don't speak it outside the classroom. Most younger people, especially in cities such as Lafayette, wouldn't be caught dead speaking French. I believe it may be different in the smaller towns though.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:57 PM

5 posts, read 25,627 times
I wish I could speak french. I'm of French ancestory. My grandpa's parents spoke french and my moms aunt spoke French and that's all she spoke unless she was talking to us. But it was never passed down nor did anyone want to learn it. So the french language is basically gone in my family now and I can't learn it by myself. It wasn't cajun french though. Anyway, the answers above given is about right. Lafayette

Old 01-19-2008, 08:05 AM

23 posts, read 111,878 times
I hear it a lot in Welsh and Jennings. A mexican friend of mine came for a visit and ran to the local Wal-Mart for some things. I rolled when he came back laughing telling me "now I know how you folk feel when us mexicans are rattling to you. I couldn't understand A WORD!!! " He had ran into some Cajuns with a sense of humor. LOL
I am lucky enough to be among people that have deemed it necessary that I learn Cajun French, and are trying their best to teach me. I'm afraid that it is a lost cause on this Redneck Cedar Chopper tongue
but I'll keep trying....

Old 01-19-2008, 08:51 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,385 times
Check out this site: Council for the Development of French in Louisiana - Home Page if you are interested in Cajun French. They are trying to undo the damage that was done to the language with this program. Despite the popularity of Cajun culture now, there was a time when Cajuns were viewed as backward country hicks and were much maligned by those who were more "Americanized."

My grandparents were made to feel ashamed because they spoke French. Dad once told me that Grandad was embarrassed because of his accent. They could remember when Coon A** was used as an insult for Cajuns, and not just a bumper sticker. The marriage of my Cajun Grandmother to my "English" Grandfather caused a bit of a ruckus amongst Grandad's family back in the 1920's. I am told that Mom's "English" Grandfather expressed his disappointment in her father's marrying beneath the family standard. My mother and her classmates were spanked in school when they slipped up and spoke in French back in the 1930's (my Grandmother's family spoke no English so Mom picked it up from them).

Eunice is a good place to visit if you are wanting to find Cajun French spoken.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention the site listed above gives you the numbers of French speaking persons in Louisiana, a little under 200,000.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:23 AM

438 posts, read 1,508,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Check out this site: Council for the Development of French in Louisiana - Home Page if you are interested in Cajun French. They are trying to undo the damage that was done to the language with this program. Despite the popularity of Cajun culture now, there was a time when Cajuns were viewed as backward country hicks and were much maligned by those who were more "Americanized."

My grandparents were made to feel ashamed because they spoke French. Dad once told me that Grandad was embarrassed because of his accent. They could remember when Coon A** was used as an insult for Cajuns, and not just a bumper sticker. The marriage of my Cajun Grandmother to my "English" Grandfather caused a bit of a ruckus amongst Grandad's family back in the 1920's. I am told that Mom's "English" Grandfather expressed his disappointment in her father's marrying beneath the family standard. My mother and her classmates were spanked in school when they slipped up and spoke in French back in the 1930's (my Grandmother's family spoke no English so Mom picked it up from them).

Eunice is a good place to visit if you are wanting to find Cajun French spoken.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention the site listed above gives you the numbers of French speaking persons in Louisiana, a little under 200,000.
My dad was spanked in school as well for speaking French, and this was in the 1950's. My parents spoke French to each other when they didn't want me to understand what they were saying, so I picked it up fairly quickly. My Dad was from Church Point and I know many of his older relatives still speak French. The interesting this is the different dialects from one town to another. My dad's French is different from the French my maternal grandma spoke around St. Martinville/Breaux Bridge.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:16 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,385 times
Mom has always said that she doesn't remember how to speak French, but every now and then she graces us with some phrase or another. When I was little she used to talk to the cats in French, but insisted that she didn't remember a thing. So I am basically Frenchless (is that a word?)

Mom's mother was from Bazile, and Dad's people are from Thibodaux/Raceland, so I know what you mean by different dialects. One group says boudin with an emphasis on the n and the other kinda leaves off the n.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:32 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,751 times
They speak it in Cut Off, LA

Old 01-19-2008, 08:05 PM

5,037 posts, read 4,351,387 times
Many still speak French in Avoyelles Parish to the southeast of Alexandria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana