Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:41 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

I don't know how many people speak Cajun French in Louisiana, but I do know one man from Louisiana who does speak French. As for myself, I have family roots in Louisiana. On my mother's side of the family I have some Louisiana Creole in my heritage. I can speak French moderately,a product of learning it in school. Living in metro Atlanta, I almost never get to use it. I don't speak Cajun French, but I do know one phrase in Cajun French..."Lache pas la patate", meaning don't let go of the potato, which means "hang in there". I learned it from a quote from Cajun humorist Dave Petitjean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 11:55 PM

893 posts, read 1,580,395 times
This is a really interesting thread to me. I work in Lafayette from time to time and I always enjoy hearing the language and learning the culture. I hope to move there in the future. I hate NO, but love Baton Rouge and Lafayette.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:51 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,830 times
Interesting topic. Does Cajun French still have any relation to Modern French as spoken in France/Quebec? Can you read French media from France, pour example?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:45 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Interesting topic. Does Cajun French still have any relation to Modern French as spoken in France/Quebec? Can you read French media from France, pour example?
There are French names on roads and for example, the auto park sign downtown is written in French, and I would say overall that while Cajun French is a bit more slang and unique than traditional modern French, it is similar enough to understand normal French. Traditional French is taught in schools here, and Cajun French books can be read pretty easily if you know some regular French.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 6,150 times
well now...the news dramaized alot of katrina...and most people who live in New Orleans and surrounding areas dont speak French....the most populated french speaking area is Lacasine, La, Abbyville, Cameron, and most people around the Achaffalya Basin

Old 12-22-2009, 03:40 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,702,106 times
My parents who were both born in Avoyelles Parish, both learned to speak Cajun French before they learned English. I have 2 cousins left in that area that do speak some Cajun French, but I believe the number of people in that area that still speak the language is on the decline. I have not been exposed to Cajun French since 1976, but I can still understand some of it.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times
It's still out there, however, most of it is in the east part. Like an earlier post said, there used to be a heavy amount of it in the Lafayette and N.O. areas. However, Some of it is in the country towns like New Iberia, opelousas. And the fact that it kind of started fading after WWII

I think the islaneos(a group of spanish speakers who trace their ancestry to the canary islands) have that same problem. W/ so many of them, leaving st. benard parish and then katrina did not do much to help them.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 14,512 times
The carencro area still have a lot of french speaking citizens more then lafayette.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:12 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,054,071 times
Default Audrey, Maudrey

Turn up the sound and enjoy Audrey, and Maudrey teaching you how to make gumbo.

busta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa_dZ...&feature=email

Old 01-13-2010, 08:04 PM

13 posts, read 67,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
There are French names on roads and for example, the auto park sign downtown is written in French, and I would say overall that while Cajun French is a bit more slang and unique than traditional modern French, it is similar enough to understand normal French. Traditional French is taught in schools here, and Cajun French books can be read pretty easily if you know some regular French.
Mais oui, in la Paroisse de Lafourche, le lenguistique Francais vivat de jour. Nous Parlons Francais en nous maison, la bureau, le ecole et la business. (Magazins general)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana