Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 18,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
Cajun French started to die out shortly after WWII. My dad, a baby-boomer, spoke only French until he went to school. The schools discouraged students from speaking French. Subsequently, the language almost died out. Many older people still speak French, especially in smaller towns. My dad still speaks to his father, aunts, uncles, and older cousins in French. What the state has done recently is implement a French Immersion program, where young schoolchildren are taught in both French and English. Of course, it isn't Cajun French. My sisters have gone through the program and are fluent in French, though they don't speak it outside the classroom. Most younger people, especially in cities such as Lafayette,
Quote:
wouldn't be caught dead speaking French. I believe it may be different in the smaller towns though.
Something wrong with that thinking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 18,312 times
[quote=Innotech;3579716]They still teach French in Lafayette. I went through at least 4 years worth of it (although I cant speak it fluently). In the acadiana area, it would definitely be wise to learn a bit as sometimes it pops up in everything from radio to local TV (KATC TV 3) to local news and business ads (imagine a car salesman spouting off french. JP Thibodeaux even has a french catchphrase). The Lafayette area overall is pretty much english but many do still know and speak French and are not ashamed of this local culture. Its one of the fun and unique things about living here. [quote]
Quote:
Also prevalent in this region is cajun music which is traditionally sung in french and many bands still do to this day.
QUOTE]
Now that I'm retired, I spend a lot of time in Louisiana, and one my favorite things to do is drive down to D.I.'s Cajun Restaurant D.I.'s Cajun Restaurant (http://www.discajunrestaurant.biz/NewDIs/index.htm - broken link) for some awesome food and Live Cajun Music. Nothing like passing a good time with the locals. Did I mention "Freds Lounge In Mamou? [url=http://www.lsue.edu/acadgate/mamou.htm]Mamou[/url]

Old 01-26-2009, 05:36 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,055,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Does anyone have any idea. I am sure Katrina did nothing to keep it alive sinse so many people were forced to move out of state.
I would think the same amount of people who spoke French before Katrina speak it now lol.

Most Cajuns are a tough class of people. They will come back / came back and rebuild without asking for much help. They grow up without much, work the land, swamps, petro fields, off shore, etc. and learn to handle hurricanes.

The people in New Orleans are the ones who ran and never came back, still waiting for handouts to fix what they should fix them self. Different class of people all together.

busta

Old 02-01-2009, 01:17 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
My former Cajun GF from Lake Charles spoke a little French, but she couldnt understand many of her relatives...who many couldnt understand each other.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:19 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I would think the same amount of people who spoke French before Katrina speak it now lol.

Most Cajuns are a tough class of people. They will come back / came back and rebuild without asking for much help. They grow up without much, work the land, swamps, petro fields, off shore, etc. and learn to handle hurricanes.

The people in New Orleans are the ones who ran and never came back, still waiting for handouts to fix what they should fix them self. Different class of people all together.

busta
Well said, the Cajuns are a different crowd than those in NO. Much more self reliant.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:44 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,329,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Well said, the Cajuns are a different crowd than those in NO. Much more self reliant.
actually, that is true. Especially historically. Cajuns were always the more simplistic group in Louisiana, preferring to live off the land and in small groups rather than in a growing city or community. Two very distinct lifestyles, but both of them have one thing in common for sure: laissez faire.

I think about a quarter of a million people in Louisiana speak some form of French.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:11 PM

32 posts, read 160,885 times
I live in Shreveport/Bossier and from time to time, I hear a French language being whispered amongst a group of people. The folks here who speak it don't seem overly anxious to show others that they do - apparently it's a language shared among peers.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:47 PM

11 posts, read 58,578 times
Do you know in France they had the policy of "No spitting on the ground and no speaking Breton"?

Old 06-20-2009, 08:32 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,028,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherBunster View Post
I live in Shreveport/Bossier and from time to time, I hear a French language being whispered amongst a group of people. The folks here who speak it don't seem overly anxious to show others that they do - apparently it's a language shared among peers.
I suppose you could hear it around here. Most of what I hear is Spanish or Arabic. But I know French.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:38 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,028,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hebert View Post
My friends,

The problem is that no one has taught our beloved language to the younger generation. It's not being spoken in the home anymore, and that is a crying shame...A sin in my book. My father was from New Iberia and my mother is from France...We always had French in our home and still do to this day, thank God.
My father was fiercely proud of his heritage and was the opposite of ashamed...Yes, he was also whipped in school for speaking French in the '30s, had to write "I will not speak French on the school grounds" hundreds of times over...But he never gave up his heritage! When he got older, he would dare anyone to put down what flows through his veins, and that's what it is going to take if our precious language is going to survive. He carefully taught us the language BECAUSE he was told not to...He knew even then, that no one...NO ONE is going to tell him his heritage and culture is worthless...That he should be ashamed of it....REDICULOUS!! It's got to mean more to you than just a surname, or a type of food that's only been recently popular, don't you see?...You have to go out and learn from the older ones...Get active! Put together a Cajun French meeting group with a knowledgeable French speaker, and meet a day or more per week...Get it going, bring it back, teach it to your children and never let anyone tell you that you should be ashamed of it again!...Tell them to go to hell! Do this before your link to the language is forever lost as the older generation passes on.
Someone posted earlier that Spanish is more prominent in their part of La and that's the way it should be...WTF?? That person is NOT Cajun...Who gives a damn if there are immigrants in your town?!....They're everywhere, and rest assured THEY are not ashamed of their language...But we, the Cajun people, were the FIRST immigrants to our area....My Cajun friends...Don't let it die. You can do it, but it will take effort...Effort that is well worth your time, for you and your children's sake. It's that important...and anyone who claims to be a Cajun and cannot see that, is the farthest thing from being Cajun than anything I can think of. It's up to you....

Doug
Well Doug (If you're still around). For God sake, don't be afraid to speak Cajun French. Be Proud! I enjoy hearing it. All of you Cajuns out there, speak CF please. Don't let your heritage go to rot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana