Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:16 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,392,533 times

Advertisements

As an Asian who grew up in LA, who the hell cares? I grew up in a majority Latino neighborhood (North Hollywood), went to majority Asian schools (various Magnet schools around the SFV) and realized that people are just people. In fact, I realized that I DON'T like being around my own ethnic group too much since it really restricts your options for social interaction.

Is LA great for professionals? It really depends what type of professions you're talking about. The LA economy isn't so great right now, so its best to line up a job before coming here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 07:55 PM

87 posts, read 524,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
As an Asian who grew up in LA, who the hell cares?
Wow. Said like someone who has no idea what it's like outside your California bubble.

Let me share with you this capsule of life as an Asian in the rest of America. I will call it Conversations with a White Guy.

"Where are you from?"
"Indiana"
"No, no, where are you REALLY from? China?"

Old 11-07-2010, 08:08 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,018,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswedc View Post
Wow. Said like someone who has no idea what it's like outside your California bubble.

Let me share with you this capsule of life as an Asian in the rest of America. I will call it Conversations with a White Guy.

"Where are you from?"
"Indiana"
I am a 'White Guy' and get asked the same questions... BY AMERICAN BORN ASIANS because of my accent. Am I supposed to assume I am being "descriminated against" by asians? I don't even blink at it. Jeez, grow a pair and enjoy social interaction with variety of folks, not just "your enclave"

Old 11-07-2010, 08:36 PM

329 posts, read 1,048,316 times
I can't comment on LA because I've only been there to vacation, but NYC is a great place for Asian male professionals. In fact, the guy I envy most is a 2nd generation Korean American, mid-30's, hedge fund manager who lives in midtown, drives a $100K car, throws amazing parties, and generally seems to love his life. His friends are mostly Asian (actually mostly Korean) and they are all in finance or law and rich. He always has amazingly beautiful (usually Asian) women at his parties. His company is made up of Asians, Russians, and Eastern-Europeans. Matter of fact, he takes it upon himself to make his Russian/Eastern-European coworkers feel more at home in NYC by bringing them out to events and parties. Does that sound like somebody who's uncomfortable with his environment?

Old 11-07-2010, 08:47 PM

87 posts, read 524,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
I am a 'White Guy' and get asked the same questions... BY AMERICAN BORN ASIANS because of my accent. Am I supposed to assume I am being "descriminated against" by asians? I don't even blink at it. Jeez, grow a pair and enjoy social interaction with variety of folks, not just "your enclave"
I have no idea who you're arguing with, because I never said anything about being "descriminated against".

Old 11-07-2010, 11:01 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,392,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswedc View Post

"Where are you from?"
"Indiana"
I've lived outside of California before (Phoenix and NYC), and have lived in Northern (went to Berkeley) and Southern Californa.

I understand what you mean when someone asks you "No really, where are you from?" elsewhere in the United States. I mean, I've gotten that question so much that I just say "well, where do you THINK I am from?" I'll admit it happens less often in California than any other place I've lived or visited in the states simply because people here don't care as much.

The reason I say "who the hell cares?" is because I think America as a country is becoming more and more tolerant of other ethnicities and races that it's becoming a moot issue. Sure, it isn't perfect, but it's progressing. Here in LA, so many people are complaining about the Latinos so often that they don't care about what we do.

I just want to make it clear that the prevailing attitude here is "people are just people." I kind of WISH there were more mainstream Americans in California because its becoming increasingly rare to find them.

Being Asian hasn't hurt me in any way, most of my life. Definitely though you'll get the "where are you from" question here, but usually the other person will be from somewhere else too.

I just don't want to convey the idea that it's totally ok to only associate with Asians, and ignore everyone else. That kind of attitude is becoming more and more pervasive, and it runs counter to my idea of what an integrated society is supposed to look like. That's one of the things that annoyed me about Berkeley so much. Don't restrict yourself to one group as a professional, because in order to become truly successful in the US, you have to make connections with everyone.

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 11-07-2010 at 11:25 PM..

Old 11-07-2010, 11:23 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,887,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Yeah, I've lived outside of California before (Phoenix and NYC), and have lived in Northern (went to Berkeley) and Southern Californa.

I've gotten the "no really, where are you REALLY from" routine so much in my life that I don't care. If someone doesn't want to accept my answer of "LA" or "California", that's fine because at the end of the day, I'm an American.

People are just people, at the end of the day. They can think whatever they want. It has no affect on me, one way or the other. You're right though that the "exotic" factor is taken out in California since there are so many Asians here. People are a lot less curious about where I am from, and just stereotype and pigeon-hole me into some ideal without getting to know who I am.
When I say this I'll freely admit that while of partial Asiatic extraction, for all intents and purposes, I'm white due to appearance, upbringing, and effectively complete and total removal of Asian cultural influence in my household (unless you count my late grandmother's maddening quirks as cultural exposure). Everything Asian other than the shape of my eyes and eyebrows was beaten out by the other 75% of me that's Scandanavian; since I bear more of a resemblance to Dolph Lundgren than Jet Li, I'm pretty squarely white.

If you're Asian and have no discernable accent, people in LA will most likely assume that you're an American of Asian descent. It's not a very novel concept in a region with millions of Asians, many of whom are second- or third-generation Americans. I had plenty of very dear Asian friends in school and had long-term girlfriends in LA who were Asian, and most people assumed they were American before they assumed they were immigrants.

People would periodically ask me where I'm from in LA just as in SF and everywhere else I've lived, and I'd say "Boston" with my requisite mild Boston accent ("Bahw-st'n"). If they didn't nod and go "okay," then they'd say something like, "you look like you're from Sweden/Germany." Simple observation, that's about it.

LA certainly isn't a bad place for an Asian-American male, though I will say that I saw white male/Asian female couples with about twenty times the frequency I saw Asian male/white female couples; some of my Asian male friends complained about this... contrast with Seattle, where I saw more Asian male/white female couples than vice versa... so there's that. Otherwise, LA and SF aren't bad choices at all. The only issues I could see when it comes to NYC come from the fact that there's much more of an "old boy's club" of white protestant fellows who kind of keep it in their own - anyone who hasn't lived in NYC or Boston and had experience in this segment of society, please don't prattle off with "Indian professionals blah blah blah Asian Americans at Harvard blah blah blah:" I've been to the country clubs, I've been to the prep schools... I know exactly what the OP is talking about.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 AM

334 posts, read 286,754 times
Yeah, in some ways it is.

But SF has two mayors elects that are Chinese American.

If one of them win, then who knows... SF might be overall better than LA.

But for now, I would say lifestyle wise, yes it might be tops in the US. But professionally wise, it will be a while before LA has the type of finance jobs that NYC or even SF does.

Either way, whats important is that the best talent gets to climb the corporate ladder. Our country needs innovators to get back on top. And for that to happen, corporations have to be willing to let those innovators and geniuses get to the top, regardless of their skin color.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:45 PM

8,587 posts, read 11,013,062 times
Can someone please tell me what the h.ll is a "professional asian"?
Anyone that holds down a job is a professional at what they are doing,else they wouldn't be doing it.
What is this "professional" stuff about?
Are "professionals" trying to put themselves above everyone else?
What maakes a "professional male" any better than anyone else?
Just what is it this "professional asian male" is so professional in doing?
What puts him one wrung up on the "professional" hotel cleaning person?
"Profesional" my butt, we are all professionals, regardless of our gender, or ethnicity.
"Professional Asian male", give me a break.
Bob.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:52 PM

115 posts, read 149,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
I can't comment on LA because I've only been there to vacation, but NYC is a great place for Asian male professionals. In fact, the guy I envy most is a 2nd generation Korean American, mid-30's, hedge fund manager who lives in midtown, drives a $100K car, throws amazing parties, and generally seems to love his life. His friends are mostly Asian (actually mostly Korean) and they are all in finance or law and rich. He always has amazingly beautiful (usually Asian) women at his parties. His company is made up of Asians, Russians, and Eastern-Europeans. Matter of fact, he takes it upon himself to make his Russian/Eastern-European coworkers feel more at home in NYC by bringing them out to events and parties. Does that sound like somebody who's uncomfortable with his environment?

I agree.

How is LA better for Asian-Americans than New York City?

My Asian friends in New York City are more glamorous than the few Asians I know in the Los Angeles area. They look better, are richer, dress better, travel more, live more exciting lives and have better taste. Lots of this could be attributed to the fact that NYC has far more wealth and higher paying jobs than LA and Asians are statistically more qualified for these jobs.

I'd rank NYC and SF above LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles