Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 02:55 PM

787 posts, read 1,946,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
After reading a number of the responses, herein lies this country's major problems.

As Abraham Lincoln so sagely observed, “A house divided against itself cannot stand."

From one white guy to another (I assume Curmudgeon is white):
Lincoln was referring to the issue of slavery....not ethnic idenfitication within the context of a pluralistic society.

Did you read these guys (I assume they were all males) posts?

Nothing anti-american or pro-secession in this thread.

Just guys trying to pursue the American dream in the way that best suits their needs and desires. Not any different than an Irish or Italian American circa 1920 or 1930, etc. trying to decide where best to pursue their profession and lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 11:11 PM

92 posts, read 351,988 times
I'd say Hawaii is the most accepting of Asian people, and especially Asian males, in general. I'm an Asian guy, mixed *** and Korean, and grew up in the islands.

Okay, for L.A., yes, it's a better place for an Asian to live compared to NYC.

I've been to NYC area couple of times, and boy is it a damn rough area for an Asian male to live in! That's just how I viewed things when visiting a relative living in Flushing.

In terms of L.A., there may be a huge East Asian population there. But in terms of acceptance of Asian males, I found L.A. to be an Asian-unfriendly city. Of course, there is that nasty institute called hollywood that perpetuates the stereotype that we're not successful,..you know what I'm saying.

I'd say if you want to check out Cali, you should move to the Bay Area, as there is a bigger Asian community there with a large influence in many of the Norcal communities.

I'm originally from the Seattle area, and I'd also say that Seattle is also an Asian-friendly city that goes untapped by some of the Asians. Seattle is more accepting to the Asian males in terms of the dating arena.

At least you guys aren't stuck in the mid-west attending school like me.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:38 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,425,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRickShawMan View Post
I'd say Hawaii is the most accepting of Asian people, and especially Asian males, in general. I'm an Asian guy, mixed *** and Korean, and grew up in the islands.

I've been to NYC area couple of times, and boy is it a damn rough area for an Asian male to live in! That's just how I viewed things when visiting a relative living in Flushing.

In terms of L.A., there may be a huge East Asian population there. But in terms of acceptance of Asian males, I found L.A. to be an Asian-unfriendly city. Of course, there is that nasty institute called hollywood that perpetuates the stereotype that we're not successful,..you know what I'm saying.

I'd say if you want to check out Cali, you should move to the Bay Area, as there is a bigger Asian community there with a large influence in many of the Norcal communities.

I'm originally from the Seattle area, and I'd also say that Seattle is also an Asian-friendly city that goes untapped by some of the Asians. Seattle is more accepting to the Asian males in terms of the dating arena.

Your kidding me right? Can you give me examples of not being accepted? Can you give me ideas on why you think that the area is unfriendly to Asians? Also your idea that Asians are not thought of as successfull is interesting to me. Look to medicine, science, Engineering, Computer Science and you will find many Asian people in those fields. I work in a hospital and if I see an Asian I can bet on the fact that they are working in Nursing, as a Doctor, or in some other knowledge based dicipline. When I see Asians I have nothing but the highest reguard for their work ethic and desire to improve upon their situation. I respect that and think for the most part most of us respect that.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,425,610 times
Quote:

Your a troll who has never lived in LA. Why not stay in the Indiana forum where you belong!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:30 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,202,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Your a troll who has never lived in LA. Why not stay in the Indiana forum where you belong!
I agree. No freakin' way could anyone 1/2 Korean have written that post.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 PM

327 posts, read 883,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
a lot of us feel there's more of a racial hierarchy in place on the east coast, which i guess is not surprising since the east is more rooted in tradition and european cultural/political dominance.
agree with many points made here, especially the above - it's subtle but oh boy, it's alive and well.

my major concern is promotions down the line with the firm - of course, ANY firm will have its politics, but it's the combination of that and how the social culture in general (outside of work) differentiates quite glaringly b/w LA and NY which makes me question any long-term motives (if any at all). so i guess it wasn't in my head at all or the drinks (as i'm usually in pseudo vacation mode in LA)?

pbergen, you pretty much read my mind about the situation.. question why'd you end up staying here in NY - is it bc of a better job situation here? family? you can answer me via PM if you feel more comfortable - thanks dood

Old 06-01-2010, 07:35 PM

287 posts, read 548,311 times
Quote:

Have you ever watched Americas Best Dance Crew? I have to say Asians are STRONGLY represented on that show .

YouTube - ABDC Season 5 West Regional Poreotics Taylor Swift Love Story

Old 11-06-2010, 10:26 PM

110 posts, read 589,430 times
But what kind of jobs are there for professionals in California? He wasn't just asking about where Asians have the highest population, his question included being a professional.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,302,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
okay, so im based out of NY (now Upper East), love it here (originally from overseas however).

I come to LA every now and then for some R&R and work and have to say that I feel generally "more accepted" and shown respect as an Asian male when in LA.

Now that's a HUGE generalization and of course there are many exceptions but I feel that the social climate for Asian males in greater LA is more accepting than most east coast cities (Boston, NY, DC, NJ, FL) as I've had to travel to said locales for work..

is this just in my head or does anyone else feel this?

is this due to just a large representation of Asians in LA and California due to it's closeness to Asia and ease of migration. Look forward to others' takes. Thanks.
There is a great big Asian community where the 60 freeway meets the Fullerton offramp and that is a nice upper class Asian area with some of the best Asian food in the world as well.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:53 PM

437 posts, read 813,225 times
how about college educated tanned skin Burmese guy that looks like Indian can he fit in LA ? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles