Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:31 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,119,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
If you don't want to live all the way in Pasadena (which isn't that far) check out Monrovia. It has a really cute downtown area (rent near the downtown/walkable area) and will save you 15 minutes on your commute. Plus you're closer to LA than areas further east.
Monrovia was an area I thought about as well or Sierra Madre which someone suggested. I just don't know about apartments in Sierra Madre.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 11:37 AM

8 posts, read 14,211 times
Thanks all for your great responses. I'll move to Pasadena if I can find a place.

I hear things about the air quality of LA. Is it bad in the areas we've been talking about. It seems like it's outside of LA proper.

Also, someone mentioned $50 for utilities. Did I see that right? Is that for water, gas and electric???

Last thing, what's the mood like in Pasadena? Are people friendly and open to making new friends? In Baltimore/Washington, people can be a little formal and it's tough to even get a date. People who move here are always remarking on the lack of friendliness. Will it be different in LA?

Thanks again!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,323,319 times
When people say talk about pollution in Los Angeles, they mean the whole area, including Azusa, Monrovia, Pasadena, and the other cities people have mentioned. The air quality is pretty bad in Pasadena. Afternoons are the worst, especially during hot weather.

The mountains are beautiful, though.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:19 PM

16,805 posts, read 40,057,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young east coaster View Post

Also, I keep hearing people talk about the weather. Isn't all of LA the same weather or close to it? I live in MD so I'm used to it all.
You can't officially say you're used to it all until you've experienced a few years' worth of our Fall conditions, which means hot, furnace-like, bone-dry (as in 0-1% humidity) gale force Santa Ana winds, dew point readings of negative 50°, static electricity shocks from everything, cracking skin, and raging wildland fires all at once.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:17 PM

787 posts, read 1,947,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young east coaster View Post
Thanks all for your great responses. I'll move to Pasadena if I can find a place.

Last thing, what's the mood like in Pasadena? Are people friendly and open to making new friends? In Baltimore/Washington, people can be a little formal and it's tough to even get a date. People who move here are always remarking on the lack of friendliness. Will it be different in LA?

Thanks again!
I wanted to respond to this part of your question: the cold hard facts are that people can be jerks no matter where you go. I am sure you don't need me to tell you that.

That said, I do think people in Pasadena are less snobby than in other parts of LA (read: Beverly Hills, West LA, etc.).

Also, I think So.Calif. in genral is more laid back and more open to strangers than the east coast. I say this as a person who grew up in LA County but lived on the east coast (NYC, DC) for approx. 5 years in my late 20's / early 30's.

That said, the LA metro is a big, sprawling city...so we have our share of jerks too. So I do not intend to sugar coat it or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles