Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:42 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Lets see Sweetheart, 28 sure doesn't look bad to a guy that is in his early 40's. Their is a lot of 40 something guys that have spent the past 15 or 20 years building a life for themselves and are now looking for someone to share that life with. If you are an inteligent woman that is interesting and has maintained your apearance you could find one of these guys.

My younger brother turns 43 this month, has never married, is strait, and owns a very successfull business that brings him in a mid 6 figure income. I would bet someone in your age range would be perfect for someone like him. This is in no way a solicitation so please to the masses don't message me anout how your the one for him. He can work out his dating situation on his own. I am hust saying that plenty of guys are in a similar situation and if a 28 year old girl is an interesting person she could find someone in her early to mid 40's to spend her life with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:18 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
There are two things I wonder about though (when it comes to guys saying women between 28-35 have a harder time finding a guy):

1. Why do young guys (early to mid 20s) always complain about girls of the same ago being immature, but when we DO 'grow up', we're 'damaged goods'?

2. What if a woman is 28, but looks like 20? Is she still considered 'old'? What I'm saying is - is it about the looks or the age and the experience that comes with it?
Don't worry about it. The more open-minded you are, the more you'll receive in kind. If you seem less experienced at dating in general, that will help a guy let his guard down and accept you for whoever you are, versus seeing you as a dating monster on the prowl. Never look like you are jaded by the dating scene, that you have a specific type of guy in mind, and never ever ever say that you've 'learned your lessons' about certain types of men, because that conjures up pictures of certain types of men having their way with the potential woman of their dreams. Never use the word serious, in any context, ever. Just be yourself . It does help if you are cute though

Old 02-18-2010, 09:29 AM

17 posts, read 37,363 times
I met the woman who would become my wife within 7 days of arriving in L.A. I have lived in various other metropolitan areas (New York, Tampa, Seattle, Montreal, Raleigh-Durham) and never had a problem meeting women. I really don't think that L.A. is any different than anyplace else. I think it really hinges on two things.

1) Physical attractiveness is IMPORTANT. And that is true if you live on the Westside, West Palm Beach or the western plains of Kansas. Of course if you live on the western plains of Kansas the sheep might have a different take on that. Remember Baaaaa means NO !

People may be coy about this and say things like personality matters (and it does) or having similar interests (also true). But you won't get to find out about a potential mates personality or interests if one (or both of you) don't have that physical chemistry. There is really no way around this.

And it is really bull**** to say that a woman's dating potential goes steadily down after 18-24. An attractive 40 year old woman will be able to find a slew of men to sleep with just strolling down the aisle of the supermarket. Men do not command that sort of sexual power ... regardless of looks, education or wealth. It is true that with advancing age men of power and money hold and advantage. But from oh say 16 to 40 or even older if she keeps herself up, women are in the driver's seat. Men have never liked to admit that reality ... but it is true.

2) That said, in true dating as opposed to just trying to "hook-up". Personality traits are probably second most important. It don't feel it differs all that much (IMHO) between men and women. My experience has shown me that the women worth keeping like intelligent, confident men.

Women may sleep with an arrogant show-off ... but confident men that are not afraid to say what they think and are not worried if that leads to a bedroom ending or not ... those are the ones they ultimately want to date and have a future with. As a man, I have to admit that I look for the same qualities in a woman. I would not waste time with someone that I can't have a conversation with or who is always looking to me to make decisions. I have no-problem leading and being assertive. But I can't read minds. A woman needs to have the confidence and self-esteem to tell me what she thinks, feels and wants in order for me to truly be interested in here.

Guess it is all a moot point for me ... LOL.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 02-18-2010, 10:20 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
Of course looks are important... but looks are also so subjective.

I don't personally find George Clooney attractive. Does that mean he's ugly? Not at all! Just not my type. That being said, it's probably a lot harder to find someone in LA if you're very overweight. Sucks, but that's life.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:12 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Of course looks are important... but looks are also so subjective.

I don't personally find George Clooney attractive. Does that mean he's ugly? Not at all! Just not my type. That being said, it's probably a lot harder to find someone in LA if you're very overweight. Sucks, but that's life.
Loved your comments. Hard to hear for some, but dead on. People see you first, and if you are not at your best others will see that and even if your the greatest person in the world many will look the other way. Sad part of life. Not that it is a problem that has to last forever. Most people can lose weight, make changes in their appearance, change their wardrobe. Can't change everything, but only work on the things you can change. Think about it if you are doing the same thing and expecting a differant result, you are fooling yourself.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:19 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboweb View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]
And it is really bull**** to say that a woman's dating potential goes steadily down after 18-24. An attractive 40 year old woman will be able to find a slew of men to sleep with just strolling down the aisle of the supermarket. Men do not command that sort of sexual power ... regardless of looks, education or wealth. It is true that with advancing age men of power and money hold and advantage. But from oh say 16 to 40 or even older if she keeps herself up, women are in the driver's seat. Men have never liked to admit that reality ... but it is true.
Of course it's generalizing, but from about 18-24, women hold about 95% of the power, in either dating, hooking up, or in any sort of casual relationship with a guy.

-They socialize better on average, than men of this age. Their social skills are probably 2 or 3 notches higher than the average guy.
-A lot of guys have to put on a front, they don't know themselves very well (if at all). Look at all the pick up artist, seduction information out there. An entire industry has sprung up because men don't know themselves very well.
-Even an average looking 20 year old woman could find someone to sleep with in small town, kansas.

But I think it turns very quickly. There's always going to be 30-50 year old women who are attractive who can get anyone they want. But that's somewhat of a minority. How many get self conscious, have kids out of wedlock, don't pursue their career goals like they could have, etc.

-Meanwhile guys are working on their careers, socializing more, they don't need the tricks they needed at 18-24. Socializing is a big issue. How many guys are on the internet, or playing video games all the time vs women.

I met this girl in santa monica last year. She might have been 23-25, and in the first 10 minutes of our conversation, she said, "I don't have kids". I dont think men realize the stigma of what kids mean when dating.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:08 PM

293 posts, read 893,555 times
Talking Nahhh!

Those 40,000 single men are just running away from their wives from the eastcoast, because we don't want to pay child support. Hopefully, my ex-wives don't find me!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:23 PM

17 posts, read 37,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Of course it's generalizing, but from about 18-24, women hold about 95% of the power, in either dating, hooking up, or in any sort of casual relationship with a guy.

-They socialize better on average, than men of this age. Their social skills are probably 2 or 3 notches higher than the average guy.
-A lot of guys have to put on a front, they don't know themselves very well (if at all). Look at all the pick up artist, seduction information out there. An entire industry has sprung up because men don't know themselves very well.
-Even an average looking 20 year old woman could find someone to sleep with in small town, kansas.

But I think it turns very quickly. There's always going to be 30-50 year old women who are attractive who can get anyone they want. But that's somewhat of a minority. How many get self conscious, have kids out of wedlock, don't pursue their career goals like they could have, etc.

-Meanwhile guys are working on their careers, socializing more, they don't need the tricks they needed at 18-24. Socializing is a big issue. How many guys are on the internet, or playing video games all the time vs women.

I met this girl in santa monica last year. She might have been 23-25, and in the first 10 minutes of our conversation, she said, "I don't have kids". I dont think men realize the stigma of what kids mean when dating.

You sound like a man that has not had much success with women.

Maybe a gym membership might do you some good ?

Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mysterious View Post
Those 40,000 single men are just running away from their wives from the eastcoast, because we don't want to pay child support. Hopefully, my ex-wives don't find me!
Tiger! Welcome to the forum!

Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,316 times
Don't let these idiots deter you from moving here, they don't have a clue as to what their talking about. Like most American women LA girls feel as though they are entitled. Once they receive an education, and land a decent paying job, they feel as though they no longer need men. I've lived through that, as well as women feeling as though they needed to become lesbians, we also recently finished the era of girls needing the bad boys. Now with all of this experimentation, and none of it working, one thing is for certain, there are a slew of LONELY women in LA. I'm talking movie star quality! We are in the grips of the obesity crisis, and it's hit here as hard as anywhere, so where a great deal of men have decided to date, or marry the fattest women in town, that leaves a large number of DIMES available with no man in site. You can't believe the fine girls playing the third wheel role! If you have any game whatsoever you can meet one of them every day. Avoid the clubs on Hollywood Blvd, as they will have their club attitude on. Do go to the hole in the wall clubs in Hollywood, or lounges, where girls are there to socialize with men. The mall on Saturday is always the place. I've loved a ridiculous amount of women in LA. Come visit and find out for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles