Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 12:52 PM

20 posts, read 72,678 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I currently live in the Fort Lauderdale, FL (FTL) area and I recently finished my MBA here. I have been offered a job located in downtown LA. I have some connections in Manhattan beach and Hermosa Beach, so I think I would live there. I am married and 31 and so is my wife. We're pretty easygoing, we live on the beach in S. Florida now so we like that style of living. I have a couple questions though:

1. How is the commute between downtown and Hermosa/Manhattan Bch?

2. Does anyone know how the crime rate compares to that of Miami/FTL?

3. I am not sure about any culture shock, etc. I have traveled between LA and FTL during the interview process and liked the beach scene and most of the people I met. Does anyone have any insights about this maybe? I know I am not being very specific.

4. Finally, I know cost of living is a bit higher on the index, but what are the hidden costs of living associated with the areas I am going to target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 12:59 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,611,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis1110 View Post
Not fun. At all.

With that being said, you're doing a bit of a reverse commute, but its still going to suck. I would look into Pasadena, Arcadia, San Marino, etc.

Quote:
3. I am not sure about any culture shock, etc. I have traveled between LA and FTL during the interview process and liked the beach scene and most of the people I met. Does anyone have any insights about this maybe? I know I am not being very specific.
You should be fine.

Quote:
4. Finally, I know cost of living is a bit higher on the index, but what are the hidden costs of living associated with the areas I am going to target.
Public schools are uninhabitable in most of LA County*. Factor in private school cost.

Car insurance is expensive here.

Taxes are among the highest in the country in CA, if not *the* highest.

Commuting is expensive because gas is more here.

*Opinion, of course. There are always decent public schools here and there.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:52 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,902,510 times
Quote:
Hi,

It's not horrendous. The further north you are the better as you're closer to the 105. If you're in Manhattan, you're looking at 45-60 minutes at peak rush hour.

The crime rate is very low in the South Bay beach cities. Violent crime is nearly non-existent. Far more identity theft. Assaults are likely higher in Hermosa due to the bar culture.

There will likely be some culture shock. You're talking about moving to an area where the MEDIAN home price is north of $1.5M($700+ per sqft) . But, unlike Miami, there are no bad areas or areas to avoid in Manhattan or Hermosa. You'll run across a lot of plastic people and a lot of wannabe plastic people, but you find that in the affluent areas of MIA and FLT as well.

In general, you're going to have a higher cost of living. Cal & LA have some of the highest tax rates in the country. Gas is pretty much the most expensive in the contiguous US. There are not a lot of "clubs" in the South Bay, so bar hopping isn't overly costly. Restaurants are reasonably priced at all levels. As for 1200RT's comment on schools, it's not an issue in the South Bay. All the beach cities have their own school districts and are not part of LAUSD if/when the need arises for you and your wife.
In addition to Manhattan and Hermosa, you should also check out Redondo Beach and El Segundo. Housing/rental costs are considerably lower without giving up the safety, beauty and good schools.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:17 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,209,128 times
i'm sure you'll like it, the south bay is a yuppie's paradise. there's also commuting options to downtown from the southbay including express busses that use the carpool lanes on the freeway. you may also consider some of the westside beach communities (santa monica, venice, and marina del rey), which are considerably closer to downtown.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:51 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,027,122 times
^ Ditto

To the OP, Hermosa Beach was recently ranked the best place in America to live for rich and upwardly mobile singles.

Best places for the rich and single - Hermosa Beach, CA (1) - Money Magazine

Even though you are not single, this might nevertheless fit your general demographic. The South Bay is one of the best places to live in LA County. Also, if your future includes kids, El Segundo, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Torrance, Redondo Beach and Palos Verdes all have good to excellent schools.

The commute to downtown will be fine. Many people do it. You will get use to it. I worked downtown briefly last year and one of my colleagues who lived in Hermosa Beach took some sort of shuttle for folks who lived in the South Bay and she loved it. So that could be an option for you too. Don't have the name of the service but if you do some research on Google you might find more information about it.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:52 PM

23 posts, read 79,692 times
I think you will like South Bay - Beach cities for the following reasons:

1) If you can manage to have a flex work schedule, the commute is reasonable. You also need to know which way to avoid peak traffic.
2) Crime rate is very low in Beach Cities. CrimeReports | The National Crime Map is a good site to start.
3) I really don't think you will have cultural shock. We will welcome you with open arms.
4) Yes, cost of living will be high - specially at the beach. Depends on which beach you will be interested. Ranking from highest to lowest in average home price. Top from Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, then Redondo Beach and El Segundo.

But what the beach has to offer is priceless. ;-)

Old 12-06-2009, 09:20 AM

76 posts, read 357,359 times
Quote:
Hi,
I currently live in the Fort Lauderdale, FL (FTL) area and I recently finished my MBA here. I have been offered a job located in downtown LA. I have some connections in Manhattan beach and Hermosa Beach, so I think I would live there. I am married and 31 and so is my wife. We're pretty easygoing, we live on the beach in S. Florida now so we like that style of living. I have a couple questions though:

I don't think the commute to downtown from Manhattan/Hermosa is terrible. I think it can be done in about an hour depending on commute time. I also believe that there is a train that goes downtown which leaves from the lax area, which is about 10 minutes frm the beach areas.

Crime rate in Manhattan Beach almost nonexistent.

Well the beach cities are way the are,upper middle class areas and with that come the good and bad with that culture.

I don't think there are any hidden cost if you have factored in rent/home cost those are your greatest exspenses. You didn't mention if you have kids. I think Manhattan is much more family friendly than Hermosa ,it also has an explemary school district (not sure where others are getting the school info from). However I personally prefer El Segundo over Manhattan ,also excellent schools,but slightly more laid back and has a Mayberry type feel. If you don't have kids I would consider both Hermosa and Culver City both greats cities for the young adult crowd. Culver City also puts you closer to downtown as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles