Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM

6 posts, read 22,010 times

Advertisements

hi.

i have a few interviews in the l.a. next week & i'm trying to determine what to ask for in terms of salary. i know what the averages are for my field where i live now & KIND OF in l.a., but i want more of a specific idea in terms of what i need to live on in general, regardless of career, so that i may avoid dying destitute and homeless at the tender age of 29.

so:
.one person in los angeles area (not inland empire or the valley - entirely too far from the jobs) in a studio or 1br, but probably the former (studios run $900+ and 1br are $1100+, right?)

.not living in a crappy neighborhood where i or my belongings will be thieved away into the night (i'm a tiny female. this is sort of crucial)

.living "comfortably". this is relative, i know, but basically: not extravagant, but i'd still be able to save some extra money for emergencies, pay bills, and have the ability to do stuff if i wanted to on a semi-regular basis. ex., go to a bar, buy non-designer clothes, go to shows or museums, or out to eat to places that a single person would go to buy themselves (so basically, really chi-chi stuff that's prix-fixe or $30 a plate for just me wouldn't be applicable.)

would i be ok on $50,000? $55,000? $60,000? obv, the more the better, but this is the range for the positions.

so, crush my dreams of escaping my current state if you must, but thanks for any info in advance. :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 02:23 PM

20 posts, read 85,967 times
I think 60k is very low in come for living in LA....seriously....I moved here recently and everything is so expensive, housing is terrible....old appartments without even refregerator and they are above $1400 for one bedroom....I'm telling you....If you want to live in a decent neighborhood then you need more money....I'm making 80k....but it's not enough for one person...it's not...and everyday, I swear at myself why I didn't ask for more money....I'm sure they would hire me for at least $100k....I was out of job and so scared.....
just my own experience!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:24 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,785,424 times
I know people who live comfortably on less than that. Assuming you don't have a lot of other debt, and assuming that your benefit package includes at least some of the costs of health insurance, then I think you could do fine on that amount. It sounds very reasonable.

Also, depends on the company (and many perks have been cut in the past year) but if you get an offer then also check into things like money to offset commuting costs. My husband's job gave him money above and beyond basic salary to help with either parking or public transportation costs. I assume that's more common with downtown jobs, though, although I may be wrong.

Good luck with the interviews!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:29 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,785,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmar121 View Post
I think 60k is very low in come for living in LA....seriously....I moved here recently and everything is so expensive, housing is terrible....old appartments without even refregerator and they are above $1400 for one bedroom....I'm telling you....If you want to live in a decent neighborhood then you need more money....I'm making 80k....but it's not enough for one person...it's not...and everyday, I swear at myself why I didn't ask for more money....I'm sure they would hire me for at least $100k....I was out of job and so scared.....
just my own experience!
I think it depends on where you're coming from. Housing is expensive if you're looking to buy, but rentals aren't particularly expensive when compared to many other major American cities. As far as things like food go, I actually found that cheaper in LA than in many places.

Again, all depends on what you're comparing it against and your own personal expectations.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:33 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,424,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmar121 View Post
just my own experience!
You must be terrible at budgeting. I make less then that, and I live very comfortably here in LA.

To the OP, what do you have against the valley? Parts of North Hollywood, Studio City and Burbank should absolutely be considered (depending on work location). That valley has many great neighborhoods and not only is rent a little cheaper, usually you get more for your dollar.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,407,095 times
Check out some of the rental sites online and see what places are renting for close to your prospective job. Many will tell you the closer to work the better. I for one don't know how I handle my long 15 minute commute. If i could I would move closer. Maybe I could walk to work then. You could base your pay on what the rents are going for, meaning ask for at least 3X the rent in the area near your employer. You should be fine then. If they pay more then take more.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:30 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,293,308 times
Wow
I made 55k/year approximately when I moved here and lived very comfortably. I paid for all my benefits/401k/etc...and still took home a bit less than $3,000/month.

My bills were something like this:
Rent - $1,100
Insurance - $75
Cell - $50
Cable/Internet - $75
Student Loan $150
Gas/Electric - $50
Gas for car - $100
Food - $200
So that totals $1,800 in expenses with $1,200 left per month for entertainment, random expenses (shopping @ target/walmart for things), and a car payment if your car isn't paid off.

Some people in this thread must really have elegant lifestyles or be in tons of debt or just are horrible with money.

I managed to save almost $1,000/month when I first moved here on my $55k/year budget.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:31 PM

4,539 posts, read 10,649,047 times
OP, you will be ok on that salary range $50-60K.

Obviously there are certain areas you cannot live and will need to commute if you work in those areas.

Also, you will save lots of money on rent if you have roommates or rent a guest house. The guest house thing will get you into a better neighborhood and I've seen situations that are outstanding...the best of which was an older couple on a huge range style home property in Sherman Oaks(Nicest neighborhood in the valley). It was $1200 a month for a 1300 sq foot place and the couple traveled a LOT so they were not around much.

The renters that run into problems are the ones that have pets or if there are multiple people.

So long as you budget propertly, you should have no problem affording your rent, a car, insurance, basic living costs, a small savings, and entertainment. The extent of savings and entertainment will depend on what you wind up paying in rent.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 PM

6 posts, read 22,010 times
yay! i feel much, much better now.

like i said, it's just me and i'm pretty low-maintenance. so, i'm totally fine with a studio. i just didn't want to end up eating ramen noodles over the sink, listening to the world pass me by through my thin apartment walls.

i don't have anything against the valley, per se. it's just a touch far in terms of where the jobs are + trying to avoid as much traffic as possible (ha). BUT, cheap rent + good neighborhoods = BIG incentive.all of what was said was an enormous help.

thanks so much, guys!

Last edited by jesuis.vivante; 10-07-2009 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: the formatting sucked on the original message and i'm more literate than implied.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,293,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuis.vivante View Post
yay! i feel much, much better now.

like i said, it's just me and i'm pretty low-maintenance. so, i'm totally fine with a studio. i just didn't want to end up eating ramen noodles over the sink, listening to the world pass me by through my thin apartment walls.

i don't have anything against the valley, per se. it's just a touch far in terms of where the jobs are + trying to avoid as much traffic as possible (ha). BUT, cheap rent + good neighborhoods = BIG incentive.all of what was said was an enormous help.

thanks so much, guys!
good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles