Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 PM

8 posts, read 42,400 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am finishing up school soon and interviewed and was offered a job in my field in Los Angeles. I have been to the city many times and love it, and would like to take the job because it seems awesome. The salary would be 65,000 a year, and I am trying to determine if it will be enough for me to live on without struggling. I am single with no dependants, would like to live in a relatively safe neighborhood, decent size one bedroom apartment (not a studio though), already have a car that will probably last me forever, however, I have 50,000 in student loans to pay off. I would also like to save every month toward retirement. What are your thoughts and about how much should I put towards rent in the city if I take this job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,699 times
Where in LA is the job located? And how much would per month would you be paying towards your student loans?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 PM

8 posts, read 42,400 times
The job is in East Los Angeles. My loan payments would probably be around 800 a month.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:39 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,191,740 times
I survived on less for years but had a roommate.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:02 AM

8,311 posts, read 13,442,156 times
So, it is almost like you will be making $55K before taxes which is still above median household income in the country so as a single person, even in LA, you shouldn't have any problems unless you get hooked on partying, gambling, hookers, drugs or booze.

Congrats on the new job! Sounds like a solid career path if you were able to get a job paying that much fresh of the school.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfantsterrible View Post
Hello All,

I am finishing up school soon and interviewed and was offered a job in my field in Los Angeles. I have been to the city many times and love it, and would like to take the job because it seems awesome. The salary would be 65,000 a year, and I am trying to determine if it will be enough for me to live on without struggling. I am single with no dependants, would like to live in a relatively safe neighborhood, decent size one bedroom apartment (not a studio though), already have a car that will probably last me forever, however, I have 50,000 in student loans to pay off. I would also like to save every month toward retirement. What are your thoughts and about how much should I put towards rent in the city if I take this job?
Yes, 65K is more than doable here, IF you don't "buy-in" to what some say one MUST have for the "LA life-style"......

You could live in the 'burbs closer to the east side of Los Angeles as well: Downey, Whittier, Cerritos, La Mirada are the best of that lot but some parts of Montebello and Pico Rivera would be ok as well (and they're literally right next door). Not excitement central for a single person (well, Whittier has something of a nightlife scene) but you can definitely enjoy life in these places and be a tad removed from some of the craziness that characterizes a huge city such as LA.

What's the nearest big street intersection to your company's address in case the cities mentioned above don't exactly "line-up" conveniently so perhaps we can redirect you?

Old 03-15-2013, 11:45 AM

672 posts, read 2,174,946 times
If your job is in East Los, if you lived in Boyle Heights or some other place near the East LA light rail line, you could survive for a while without a car, which would free up a lot of money. Cars end up costing quite a bit, with insurance and gas and repairs. Boyle Heights or East Los are not the nicest parts of the city, but, they are good enough, and fairly cheap.

They are almost 100% Latino, though, with all the good and bad that entails.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,708 times
OP prepare yourself for a hard life. you will be living hand-to-mouth, paycheck-to-paycheck, always stressing about how to make next month's rent. and don't forget utilities, too.

if i were you, i would forget about a car. figure out the bus or subway routes now if you can. take up a part-time job on the side if you can pull it off.

$65k is a poverty level wage in LA.

/end sarcasm.

EDIT: ok, in all seriousness, $65k in a big city like LA or NYC isn't much. you can definitely get by and live decently, but if you want to live in a nice neighborhood, i think you'll need a roommate. you will also need to watch your expenses, try cooking at home more often if you can, and avoid wasting money on gas whenever possible.

Last edited by ElysianEagle; 03-15-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 PM

108 posts, read 254,475 times
$65 is kinda harsh. I would use this as a way to budge another offer in texas at this level. You will do well with this pay.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:54 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,060 times
65k is plenty of money. That's a great salary for LA. You'll have plenty of neighborhoods to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles