Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 06:25 AM

6 posts, read 29,168 times

Advertisements

Myself and two business partners have a start-up company that just got funded and we're going to be moving from Atlanta in about 6 weeks. We need to get an office so basically we can live and work anywhere we want at this point. We're moving to LA because we run a car enthusiast website and LA is mecca for that scene.

Where considering Santa Monica or maybe Orange County and they have some office space at Santa Monica Studios on Olympic that looks like it might be pretty cool.

I'm 28 and single, my two partners are 33/34 one has a little boy starting Elementary school. We all have dogs. Obviously I want to live somewhere where there are PLENTY of single women, preferably ones looking for a boy toy but we'll leave that for another thread.

We're all budgeting $3500 range for rent and want to live near the water. Preferably I want an ocean view so that I'm as far away from smog as possible. Would also prefer not to be shot at or stabbed while walking my mutt.

Considering all these facts where would everyone recommend we put an office and live? Is Pacific Palasades to Santa Monica (near I-10) that bad of a commute? How about Playa Del Rey to Santa Monica? Or should we just head down to Orange County?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by leavingtheatl; 05-02-2007 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 01:45 PM

642 posts, read 3,073,179 times
I say definately Santa Monica. Where you are considering locating your office is perfect and fun. There is so much happening on the westside. You can easily walk to/or park in the free two hour parking along 4th in SM during your lunch hour or anytime of the day or night and walk your dogs by the water, grab some great food, drink in the hotties and the palms. Hit some clubs at night.

As far as the commute from PP--perfect along the water. Even if you are held up in traffic in the AM/PM abit you are along the ocean and although I do not drive that route on a regular basis (I drive surface streets from Brentwood, which takes NO time! but the PP is further out along the water.) it should not take you too long, nor should commuting from Playa Del Ray.

The neighborhoods you mentioned are all next to Santa Monica and all along the water, so it is seamless. Don't expect no traffic though because traffic is the order of the day in Southern California, no matter where you are especially if it is a place that has ANY value and you are talking about moving to one of the most valuable places in the world. They'll be many others like yourself livin' the dream, which is both cool and annoying at the same time.

What I love about Santa Monica is you will live and work in the most amazing area that either has everything and/or access to everything and if you get bored and want some new flavor you are next to some of the most fun and amazing things to do in the world in another neighborhood--take your pick. Pick your poison here and then another and then another. You'll love it.

Orange country is amazing too, but you will be restricted to orange county (because of the horrendous traffic up and down the I-5 corridor--in LA you live closer to the variable neighborhoods and can take busy side streets as alternatives and the OC is far away from LA when you figure in traffic.) The OC thus becomes the flavor of the week and the month and the year--God forbid you should get bored and take to the freeways to get out of that town on a regular basis (although the place is lovely and you may not want to leave that often after awhile.). That one action alone will make you hate the place no matter how much you end up loving it here (AND YOU WILL LOVE IT!). You can also take trips to SD, which is bonus in the OC.

So if you want to park on the Newport coast--that will also be cool and fun, but that is where you will stay parked for your own sanity. I think it just depends on how much variety and stimulation you need. Plus Santa Monica companies are just hip. Who knows what sort of people you will meet in this town to create business synergy. But there is also huge money and business energy down in the OC too--huge. As far as the child, private school is the way to go out here no matter where you are and if the money is there the child will have access to the best.

Keep in mind too politics. I would. Do you want to spend most of your time with rich, more conservative folks or rich, very liberal folks. The OC is more conservative and Santa Monica goes without saying. But there will be many women in both areas lookin' for the toy . The boy toy that is.

Southern California is the playground for the rich. If you have your own gig, you are making money and are young this is the place for you. If you can come for a visit for even just three days and hang in both areas (suggest Newport Coast/Beach area in the OC), I think you will know right away which one.

Personally, I think you have it right living in PP or Playa Del Rey and working in Santa Monica.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2007, 05:58 PM

989 posts, read 5,925,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
I say definately Santa Monica. Where you are considering locating your office is perfect and fun. There is so much happening on the westside. You can easily walk to/or park in the free two hour parking along 4th in SM during your lunch hour or anytime of the day or night and walk your dogs by the water, grab some great food, drink in the hotties and the palms. Hit some clubs at night.

As far as the commute from PP--perfect along the water. Even if you are held up in traffic in the AM/PM abit you are along the ocean and although I do not drive that route on a regular basis (I drive surface streets from Brentwood, which takes NO time! but the PP is further out along the water.) it should not take you too long, nor should commuting from Playa Del Ray.

The neighborhoods you mentioned are all next to Santa Monica and all along the water, so it is seamless. Don't expect no traffic though because traffic is the order of the day in Southern California, no matter where you are especially if it is a place that has ANY value and you are talking about moving to one of the most valuable places in the world. They'll be many others like yourself livin' the dream, which is both cool and annoying at the same time.

What I love about Santa Monica is you will live and work in the most amazing area that either has everything and/or access to everything and if you get bored and want some new flavor you are next to some of the most fun and amazing things to do in the world in another neighborhood--take your pick. Pick your poison here and then another and then another. You'll love it.

Orange country is amazing too, but you will be restricted to orange county (because of the horrendous traffic up and down the I-5 corridor--in LA you live closer to the variable neighborhoods and can take busy side streets as alternatives and the OC is far away from LA when you figure in traffic.) The OC thus becomes the flavor of the week and the month and the year--God forbid you should get bored and take to the freeways to get out of that town on a regular basis (although the place is lovely and you may not want to leave that often after awhile.). That one action alone will make you hate the place no matter how much you end up loving it here (AND YOU WILL LOVE IT!). You can also take trips to SD, which is bonus in the OC.

So if you want to park on the Newport coast--that will also be cool and fun, but that is where you will stay parked for your own sanity. I think it just depends on how much variety and stimulation you need. Plus Santa Monica companies are just hip. Who knows what sort of people you will meet in this town to create business synergy. But there is also huge money and business energy down in the OC too--huge. As far as the child, private school is the way to go out here no matter where you are and if the money is there the child will have access to the best.

Keep in mind too politics. I would. Do you want to spend most of your time with rich, more conservative folks or rich, very liberal folks. The OC is more conservative and Santa Monica goes without saying. But there will be many women in both areas lookin' for the toy . The boy toy that is.

Southern California is the playground for the rich. If you have your own gig, you are making money and are young this is the place for you. If you can come for a visit for even just three days and hang in both areas (suggest Newport Coast/Beach area in the OC), I think you will know right away which one.

Personally, I think you have it right living in PP or Playa Del Rey and working in Santa Monica.

Good luck!
Couldn't have said it better than fair weathergolfer.

PP is closer to more things to do(and may be better for a single) while Newport Beach is less stressful with wider roads, surrounded by safe havens but with less to do. There is much less income diversity in Newport than in Santa Monica. Public schools in Newport are among the best in this country though. Everything is very upscale down here and really nothing is run-down (unlike parts of West LA). Pacific Palisades would be my first choice in the LA area. Both cities are nice but completely different lifestyles.

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 05-02-2007 at 06:09 PM..

Old 05-02-2007, 11:38 PM

6 posts, read 29,168 times
PP = Pacific Palisades, right?

Wow, thanks for the all the info, I really appreciate it. Going to be in Santa Monica in about 2 weeks checking the area out.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:29 AM

642 posts, read 3,073,179 times
Yeah, sorry about that. Pacific Palisades. Let us know how it goes!!

Don't forget the parking all along 4th Avenue between Wilshire and south to Santa Monica Blvd. (I believe). If you just think it is only street parking or really expensive underground and valet parking all the time here it may be a drag. But there is a lot of freedom in our city parking lots. Park and explore the core fun places in Santa Monica--beaches, ride a bike to Venice, the 3rd street promenade, side streets with little restaurants and shops--for not much money. I know it is a small anal detail, but sometimes as they say, the devil is in the details and here for sure parking is enforced 24/7 I believe. Which is unusual for any place that I have lived. Rich or poor we all like freedom to explore without constraint and to put money into activities, things and places that are valuable to us, which usually isn't repetitive, dasterdly, expensive parking, limited parking times, and parking tickets atleast for this gal. Just a small thing that I hope makes your visit and maybe future life blessed . If you are limo or cabbin' it well then delete, delete, delete .

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingtheatl View Post
PP = Pacific Palisades, right?

Wow, thanks for the all the info, I really appreciate it. Going to be in Santa Monica in about 2 weeks checking the area out.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 05-04-2007 at 03:52 AM.. Reason: Adjectives, adjectives, and adverbs binge. To hell with constraint! :-)

Old 05-07-2007, 03:57 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
i live in playa del rey. if you are looking a quiet environment to live in while still being close to the liveliness of LA, it's a great city. everyone has a dog around here. the only bad thing is the schools in the area. let's just put it this way-westchester high school isn't the smartest for friendliest high school. el segundo, a small town right next to playa del rey is fantastic. they are like their own small city. they have their own school system which is one of the best in the area. el segudno high school is the most filmed school in the country (Joan of Arcadia, parts of Without a Trace, Cold Case, Epic Movie, Super Bad, My Name is Earl). el porto beach is a few miles away which is the best surfing spot for miles. manhattan beach, right next to el segundo, is a classic town that everyone must see.

the only downside is that if you want to take the freeways, you must take the 405 and 10 freeways, probably the two busiest in LA, to get to Santa Monica. taking the beach route is beautiful though.

i would recommend el segundo, even though you did not mention that. my son goes to high school there and he loves it.

good luck!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 7,613 times
Default Possible contact?

Hi,
I noticed your message and now a great girl in Santa Monica that knows the SoCal area and is also a vet imaging tech who knows all of the dog parks and beaches that are good to take dogs to. She also knows some good hang outs in the area for singles! She might make a good contact for you as far as info goes for relocation, etc. You can tell her that I referred you to her. Her email addy is: jeanreichle@yahoo.com My name is Monica Barronton and I rented a room in her townhouse from her there. She was very helpful and introduced me to people to help me network. I loved it out there, the promenade and the sunset and mountains and hope to get back there for a visit or to relocate. I'm in Florida now and have relatives in the ATL. Lots of luck to you and your new business venture!

Monica
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingtheatl View Post
Myself and two business partners have a start-up company that just got funded and we're going to be moving from Atlanta in about 6 weeks. We need to get an office so basically we can live and work anywhere we want at this point. We're moving to LA because we run a car enthusiast website and LA is mecca for that scene.

Where considering Santa Monica or maybe Orange County and they have some office space at Santa Monica Studios on Olympic that looks like it might be pretty cool.

I'm 28 and single, my two partners are 33/34 one has a little boy starting Elementary school. We all have dogs. Obviously I want to live somewhere where there are PLENTY of single women, preferably ones looking for a boy toy but we'll leave that for another thread.

We're all budgeting $3500 range for rent and want to live near the water. Preferably I want an ocean view so that I'm as far away from smog as possible. Would also prefer not to be shot at or stabbed while walking my mutt.

Considering all these facts where would everyone recommend we put an office and live? Is Pacific Palasades to Santa Monica (near I-10) that bad of a commute? How about Playa Del Rey to Santa Monica? Or should we just head down to Orange County?

Thanks everyone!

Old 06-14-2007, 08:25 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times
I love Santa Monica...I was there just last week and I had a wonderful time
:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles