Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 06:34 PM

49 posts, read 200,881 times

Advertisements

As a new, first-time parent, I am spending more time planning and researching on what would be a solid plan of attack once my children are of the age to begin attending elementary school. The sentiment I have been getting from parents of young children is that if you can reside within the boundaries of a solid public elementary school, then plan on sending the kids to private middle and high school, you can save a little bit on tuition. Mucf of the "real benefit" to private schools comes after 6th grade, is what I am hearing.

I found a nifty website which lists every public school in LA County. It also shows statistics on API scores, parents education, student body ethnicity, etc, number of students, teacher ratios, etc.

A couple of questions:

Is there a public resource on private schools in LA, the similarly breaks down statistics, etc? For example, if I am living in the Pacific Palisades and want to find a good private high school within a certain radius from my home, what is a good source to find out what schools are available/popular? It seems like many of the "name brand" privates (such as Harvard Westlake, Buckley, Milken, etc) are up in the Mulholland/Valley area. But if I was living in, say, Santa Monica, that would be one heck of a commute to shuttle my kids to and from those schools, wouldn't it?

Also, for example, living in Westwood near UCLA, here is the list of schools in LAUSD a resident of the area would be eligible for:

Westwood Charter Elem (902 API)
Emerson Middle (701 API) or Webster Middle (633 API)
Uni High (659 API)

Based on the dropoff in educational quality after elementary, and also noticing that the ethnic makeup seems to indicate that white students (70% of Westwood Elem) seem to be the minority at the middle or high schools, should I assume that parents of caucasian children are sending them private after elementary? What else could explain the ratio going from 70% white to 13% in middle school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 06:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egold70 View Post

Is there a public resource on private schools in LA, the similarly breaks down statistics, etc?
I am pretty sure Greatschools.net has some private school data but I don't think it is as comprehensive as what it provides for public school.

Quote:
For example, if I am living in the Pacific Palisades and want to find a good private high school within a certain radius from my home, what is a good source to find out what schools are available/popular?
School Performance Maps

Quote:
It seems like many of the "name brand" privates (such as Harvard Westlake, Buckley, Milken, etc) are up in the Mulholland/Valley area. But if I was living in, say, Santa Monica, that would be one heck of a commute to shuttle my kids to and from those schools, wouldn't it?
Check Sigalert.com Los Angeles Traffic Map during the times you might be commuting.

Quote:
Based on the dropoff in educational quality after elementary, and also noticing that the ethnic makeup seems to indicate that white students (70% of Westwood Elem) seem to be the minority at the middle or high schools, should I assume that parents of caucasian children are sending them private after elementary? What else could explain the ratio going from 70% white to 13% in middle school?
Could be that three elementary schools feed one middle school. If one ES was 70% white (for example your school) and the other two ES were low percentage white, then when they all attend the MS, the ratio would necessarily be less than 70% white.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:17 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
There could be multiple factors at work, but I do know many people (and not just white) who have gone public for elementary, then switched to private for junior high and high school.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:23 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
I went to private for elementary and public for middle and high school. I was a year ahead when I went to middle school in most subjects. I would imagine that your kids will be behind if they did the reverse.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:30 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
In fact I wouldn't suggest going the reverse route because it hurts your kids socially as they grow up. I was ahead academically but woefully behind socially when I hit public school in middle school. It was a million miles away from the sheltered life of private school. Keeping your kid in private school through high school, imho, will give them a severe crutch in college.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:26 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
at those westside prep schools maybe.

otherwise, i know plenty of people who ended up at catholic [high] schools and were just as socially adjusted to life in college and in the streets.

in more urban areas it doesnt matter too much if you go to private school or not. you are not sheltered. you are still in the same neighborhood as everyone else. if you go to verbum dei [in watts] or salesian [in boyle heights], both all boys schools, you still have to deal with the fast life associated with urban living. you dont have the PRIVILEGE to escape social ills behind an ivy covered wall and car service.

i think it really depends on where the schools are at.

since the OP is considering west side, b. hills schools, there could be a whole set of problems that snooty kids deal with (pharming[popping pills] versus smoking a bag of weed).

i think if the OP is this invested in their childs education, they will do well in most schools. and the option still exists to send them to public sharter schools.

dont fret young parent or parent to be. it will all be ok. just stay involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
In fact I wouldn't suggest going the reverse route because it hurts your kids socially as they grow up. I was ahead academically but woefully behind socially when I hit public school in middle school. It was a million miles away from the sheltered life of private school. Keeping your kid in private school through high school, imho, will give them a severe crutch in college.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
at those westside prep schools maybe.

otherwise, i know plenty of people who ended up at catholic [high] schools and were just as socially adjusted to life in college and in the streets.

in more urban areas it doesnt matter too much if you go to private school or not. you are not sheltered. you are still in the same neighborhood as everyone else. if you go to verbum dei [in watts] or salesian [in boyle heights], both all boys schools, you still have to deal with the fast life associated with urban living. you dont have the PRIVILEGE to escape social ills behind an ivy covered wall and car service.

i think it really depends on where the schools are at.

since the OP is considering west side, b. hills schools, there could be a whole set of problems that snooty kids deal with (pharming[popping pills] versus smoking a bag of weed).

i think if the OP is this invested in their childs education, they will do well in most schools. and the option still exists to send them to public sharter schools.

dont fret young parent or parent to be. it will all be ok. just stay involved.
I agree with you full heartedly, how a child performs and what they learn depends on the family as much as the school. I think if I did have kids entering school right now and especially in a huge school district with both good and bad schools I would opt for Charter schools. This is a good compromise.

Nita

Old 09-02-2009, 01:13 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,830 times
i am a teacher and personally, i believe it is better to have them go to elementary at a private (if you can afford it), and public starting with 6th grade. just my 2 cents.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:10 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
We sent our kids to public from K through 8th and were planning to continue through high school.....and then switched them to private. In CA you still have reduced class size for public schools in grades K-3 (although I understand that some of those class sizes are up now). You also have easy access to teachers and administrators in elementary schools (through volunteering) and open PTA positions in middle schools to gain acesss to what's going on academically. After that, you're really taking a risk due to size of high schools, massive budget cuts, inexperienced teachers and less accountablity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles