Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:20 PM

4 posts, read 18,236 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job at Kaiser Permanente in Panorama City. We have 2 boys (ages 12 & 8) & have zeroed in on Sherman Oaks as a potential place to live. According to the "CA School Performance Map" it appears that the public High Schools serving this area have poor ratings. Any information on public school options would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by dkburnham; 08-02-2011 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: More description
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 08:56 PM

120 posts, read 480,139 times
like nearby Encino, Woodland Hills, and other LAUSD hotspots such as West LA, the high schools are not that good. Sherman Oaks folks are districted to N Hollywood high I believe, so I would recommend Notre Dame High School on Woodman, which is a private school. Most people that live in "desirable" LA areas like Woodland hills, rancho park, encino, hancock park, sherman oaks, mar vista, westchester send their kids to private high schools.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2006 View Post
like nearby Encino, Woodland Hills, and other LAUSD hotspots such as West LA, the high schools are not that good. Sherman Oaks folks are districted to N Hollywood high I believe, so I would recommend Notre Dame High School on Woodman, which is a private school. Most people that live in "desirable" LA areas like Woodland hills, rancho park, encino, hancock park, sherman oaks, mar vista, westchester send their kids to private high schools.
Just wanted to add in that Notre Dame is a CATHOLIC school just so the OP would know.

Depending on which part of Sherman Oaks you live, your kids could be zoned to any one of these high schools:

Van Nuys High school
Birmingham High School
North Hollywood High School
Grant High School

None of these are good schools.

Will you guys be renting or buying? What is your budget? What made you decide on Sherman Oaks?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:57 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Northridge is another area that is plenty nice, but suffers from poor public high school(James Madison).

Your best options I think are Burbank, Simi Valley and Santa Clarita. Your commute to Panorama City Kaiser from Sherman Oaks in the morning will be 15-30 minutes depending on where you live, so the other cities won't involve too much more of a commute. A bit further(but largely reverse commute), La Cresenta and South Pasadena are good options as well.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Northridge is another area that is plenty nice, but suffers from poor public high school(James Madison).

Your best options I think are Burbank, Simi Valley and Santa Clarita. Your commute to Panorama City Kaiser from Sherman Oaks in the morning will be 15-30 minutes depending on where you live, so the other cities won't involve too much more of a commute. A bit further(but largely reverse commute), La Cresenta and South Pasadena are good options as well.
Add Agoura, Westlake Village and Thousand Oaks to that list.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 18,236 times
NICK 2006- I read about N. Dame HS, thank you. We are on a public school budget.

LAOTZUMINDFU- Bad news on the HS's in SO! We thought the commute from SO-PC would be short, that's why we had chose it. Will have to rethink all this. Buy $650,000 range.

JOHNG72- We initially looked at Burbank but w/ our budget thought it would not work? We have looked into Simi Valley & Santa Clarita but thought the commute would exceed my husbands 25 minute commute goal???? Your thoughts. Will look at La Cresenta & South Pasadena.

LAYSAYFAIR- Agoura, Westlake, Thousands Oaks- Could you guess as to those commute times?

Can't thank you all enough for your time!

Last edited by dkburnham; 08-03-2011 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: spelling errors, hate that!

Old 08-03-2011, 05:55 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
el camino real HS in woodland hills is probably the last Good HS in LAUSD and houses in the area are definitely in your price range. the commute would probably exceed 25 minutes though. you'd probably be better off in simi valley for better schools and a shorter commute.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:19 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkburnham View Post
JOHNG72- We initially looked at Burbank but w/ our budget thought it would not work? We have looked into Simi Valley & Santa Clarita but thought the commute would exceed my husbands 25 minute commute goal???? Your thoughts. Will look at La Cresenta & South Pasadena.
Simi, SC, LA Cresenta, & S. Pasadena will all exceed a 25 minute commute, though not by much. Up to about 40 minutes I believe.

As to Burbank vs Sherman Oaks, rental prices should actually be higher in Sherman Oaks. As to purchasing, not sure what you are looking for, but Burbank also seems to be less expensive in that regard.

For instance, this turnkey 3/2 1700 sq ft house in Burbank sold for $545K recently:

700 North LAMER St, Burbank, CA 91506 | MLS# B2108009

While this in Sherman Oaks is a bit bigger 3/2 at 2100 sq ft and sold at $630K
5349 ALLOTT Ave, Sherman Oaks, CA 91401 | MLS# F11067839

You know, one thing to keep in mind about Sherman Oaks is that the areas between Burbank Bl and Magnolia Bl were Van Nuys until about 2 years ago, when they were renamed Sherman Oaks. They are nice areas, but no way are they worth any kind of price premium, and they are very close to scuzzier areas of Van Nuys. They bear very little resemblance to upscale Sherman Oaks south of Ventura Bl. The only other homes I see in SO with comparable prices to Burbank are those next to the 101.

I'm not hating on Sherman Oaks at all....I like it....but overall for a family with school age kids, Burbank should be nicer and slightly less expensive IMO.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkburnham View Post
NICK 2006- I read about N. Dame HS, thank you. We are on a public school budget.

LAOTZUMINDFU- Bad news on the HS's in SO! We thought the commute from SO-PC would be short, that's why we had chose it. Will have to rethink all this. Buy $650,000 range.

LAYSAYFAIR- Agoura, Westlake, Thousands Oaks- Could you guess as to those commute times?

Can't thank you all enough for your time!
40 minutes or so.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:03 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
el camino real HS in woodland hills is probably the last Good HS in LAUSD and houses in the area are definitely in your price range. the commute would probably exceed 25 minutes though. you'd probably be better off in simi valley for better schools and a shorter commute.
The commute from Burbank to Sherman Oaks would be far less than the communte from Simi to Sherman Oaks. Burbank schools would be better than El Camino Real even though it is the best LAUSD comprehensive (remember best LAUSD comprehensive is like saying best terrorist group)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles