Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 01:23 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,384,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROMCATOGA View Post

I live currently in Ventura County, and in my area a 4 bedroom, 2 bath home sells between $680K to $750K.

Yeah, SoCal is a great place to live, but only if you can really afford to have the quality of life, that one would expect to lead out here... Even the gas prices are the highest in the nation here... I was in Atlanta about two weeks ago, and their gas prices was between $2.49 and $2.65, and their housing prices are incredible, especially compared to SoCal... I'm afraid if my money doesn't get right, then I'll be relocating to the Atlanta area.

It feel like over half the people living in SoCal are not really living in Southern California, but only surviving in Southern California.

Let me hear from you all. Voice your thoughts about this.

Thanks!
What the differance a year makes. Here we are at the end of 2008 and gass is around $1.65 a gallon. It had been approaching the $5.00 mark a year ago. Housing has dropped by half. I live in Ventura County and a co-worker purchased a home in North Oxnard for a touch over $1 million. I just saw a similar home in his development going for $585,000. Things have changed and for those that are prepaired they can buy a part of the real estate and possibly enjoy the lifestyle that the state provides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 11:58 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,698,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The average person in Southern California spends 18 minutes outdoors per day during the week and 47 minutes outdoors per day during the weekend. For the vast majority of Angelenos, they wake up, get ready for work, sit in their car in traffic, walk to their office, work indoors, sit inside at lunch, walk back to their car, drive home in traffic, eat dinner, and watch TV/go online/watch movies/other indoor activities. The number of times a person visits the beach decreases in proportion to the square of the distance they live from the beach.
Houses are in the $400/sqft price range.
Ninety percent of LAUSD schools are unacceptable so now you need to pay for private schools.
Property taxes on a $700,000 home are close to $8000/year (to help pay for LAUSD that your kids aren't attending). Want to live in Ventura County with good schools? Well you better have a cool $920,000 for a 2200 sqft house (our numbers from when we left back in June 06).
In Colorado (where the job market is at least equivalent per capita to SoCal's) housing is about $200/sqft. Salaries for engineers in Colorado are about ten percent less (I checked.) Traffic is much less, practically a non-issue.
OK, Socal has "A+" weather, but Colorado has "B+" weather. (I lived in SoCal 45 years and just spent a brutal winter in Colorado, living between Denver and Colorado Springs, and my argument is still the same.) It is just as sunny and the snow (most of the time but not this past year) is pleasant and not long lasting. The frequency of clouds/snow in Colorado is about the same as clouds/rain in SoCal. Admittedly, it is more difficult for parents with kids in that there are several days, maybe 10-20, in winter when it is just too cold to go outside and play at the park. OK, it’s a trade off.
So, how much do those 184 minutes per week of near perfect weather cost? (I’ll take a snow storm over Santa Ana winds any day.) That's why we moved. We did the math. Took our equity and ran. Don't laugh, The same argument applies for Huntsville, AL: The second highest ratio of income to housing costs in the nation. Weather is the ONLY thing going for LA. Visit other areas around the country. There are just about as many ethnic restaurants, entertainment venues, clubs, alternative lifestyle opportunities, etc as there are in LA. With the internet, you don’t need (and shouldn’t use) elaborate shopping centers. In reality, how often do you really frequent the truly unique things about LA? How often? Been to a Dodger game lately? Do you want you teenage kids going to see bands in Hollywood (like I did back in the 70s and 80s)? Is it worth $400/sqft?
Great post Charles! The thing is though, I wouldn't say Southern California has A+ weather because it changes too much and there is no consistency in the temperatures. Also, there's a lot of polluted air and very little rain which is not good because it creates drought conditions.

And you are right about house prices in CA. They are too expensive.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:02 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,485,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Great post Charles! The thing is though, I wouldn't say Southern California has A+ weather because it changes too much and there is no consistency in the temperatures.
Are you kidding? Coastal SoCal has some of the most stable temperature in the country. How many times have you see the 10 day forecast that reads H:75 L:65 plus or minus a degree for the entire 10 day period? If you want to see inconsistent weather, go to Denver or the Midwest.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:11 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,698,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Are you kidding? Coastal SoCal has some of the most stable temperature in the country. How many times have you see the 10 day forecast that reads H:75 L:65 plus or minus a degree for the entire 10 day period? If you want to see inconsistent weather, go to Denver or the Midwest.
I still stand by what I said. I don't like to see something like 81 degrees in February. That's how hot it was in my area on the day of the Super Bowl! That's just crazy. And also, the dirty air in LA really ruins my sinuses and my nose is always stuffed up. What's the point of having nice sunny weather if you cough when you go outside because the air is so filthy. If you doubt what I said, just look up the American Lung Association's rankings on their web site. LA has the worst air quality in the country. Even cities like Las Vegas and Cleveland have better air quality than we have here in southern CA.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I still stand by what I said. I don't like to see something like 81 degrees in February. That's how hot it was in my area on the day of the Super Bowl! That's just crazy. And also, the dirty air in LA really ruins my sinuses and my nose is always stuffed up. What's the point of having nice sunny weather if you cough when you go outside because the air is so filthy. If you doubt what I said, just look up the American Lung Association's rankings on their web site. LA has the worst air quality in the country. Even cities like Las Vegas and Cleveland have better air quality than we have here in southern CA.
Yeah the air is definitely bad and I don't really care for 81 in February either but our weather is known around the world for being mild and stable. In fact, many people complain they don't like our weather because its so unchanging. Like I said, if you want randomly changing weather, go to some place like Denver where it can be 70 one day, snow the next, and be 60 the day after.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:40 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,622,487 times
It's funny to read people complain about the weather in SoCal [ask 90% of Americans if they would like 81F on a winter day! California has one of the most mild climates in the world. Where else would one find a city like San Diego that is in the 60's-70's year-round? LA is hot but is also quite nice in winter. I personally don't like temps pushing 90F in winter but would rather have that then Chicago\ New York staying below freezing for weeks on end.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:31 PM

93 posts, read 188,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgaunt View Post
Hey everyone... I currently live in Chicago and absolutely need to get out of here. . The weather sucks horribly and for those of you who think SoCal is more expensive then Chicago... think again. Living in Chicago is NOT cheap. About 3 years ago my husband and I bought a 2400 sq. ft. condo in Chicago (not downtown about 15 miles away from downtown) for $430K. When the weather was good we couldn't enjoy the weather either during the summer months (fyi... there is no Spring or Fall, the season goes from Summer to Winter from Winter to Summer) we would be sitting behind the desk working away too. I would rather live in LA than Chicago anyday... Hope to pack up our stuff in Chicago to be out in LA very soon. . Oh yeah one more thing... gas prices were the most expensive here in Chicago then anywhere in the United States. At the high point it was at $4.85 a gallon. SICK SICK SICK.

Hate Chicago... Love LA...
I currently live about 10 minutes outside of downtown Chicago, and I get the point. Its interesting, because everyone I know says "its expensive to live in LA". Yet they dont realize that some places are just as pricey. A friend of mine and his wife were living in a central northside apartment before they got married. It was a nice place, but nothing spectacular. They were paying $1,200 a month for a one bedroom. I look online, and a decent one bedroom in Santa Monica or West Hollywood goes for around the same price. Not to mention that out in LA you have more apartment complexes. So you get free access to a pool, hot tub, or gym. And trust me, its worth it. With all the big gym charges here in Chicago, you would be paying upwards to $75 for what you would be getting for free in your LA complex.

This is a good example of one of the quotes that I wanted to touch on here. "live free or die trying". Just because you cant afford a so cal lifestyle, doesnt mean you have to be dirt poor and depressed, or fake and in debt. You guys lie in the entertainment center of the world. If you want to go see a movie, there are various small festivals going on each weekend. If you want to go out drinking, find out where the events within your career are, and RSVP. Typically its going to be a open bar, and you will only have to pay for tips. Plus what the heck, you might do some great networking and raise to that high end position that everyone wants.

There are so many different loopholes like this, that no one realizes exists, or they think they are too good to take adantage of them. If you love the stuff at the top designer Beverly Hills shop, go there. You dont have to buy anything. Just window shop, look at the people, and have a good time just getting out and seeing things that you enjoy. I know as a kid here in Chicago, my family didnt have tons of money. So what we would do is go downtown, go to all the free things (like Sears Tower), and walk down Michigan Ave to just look at the things in the different shops, or go see the big storefront decorations during Chistmas Time. It was fun, and trust me .. unless you make an effort to let a kid know that there is a difference in culture, they wont know the differences. They might even have just as much fun as you will.

If you have kids, I know its difficult to find the time, but there are so many neat and creative things to do for little to no money. What does it cost to take your kid to the beach on a Saturday afternoon? What is it, $15 bucks a person to get into the main section of Santa Monica Pier? In the SMDP, I see events for kids all the time at the local libraries and meeting spots. I even hear about random free concerts for more of the teenage crowd. It might not be good music, but i its a really nice night, its better than staying in on a Saturday night.

My other point being, my parents always told me that the more money you make, the more money you spend. And really, you just need to role with the punches. Everyone here seems to assume that if you are older, you are going to be more happy in a house than an apartment. They also seem to be saying that while things are cheaper in other areas, LA is still the place to be. So think about it, would you rather be depressed in a house outside of LA, or depressed in an apartment in LA? Even then, I just dont see the point. I know its slightly getting of topic here, but is there some written law here that everyone needs a house, or everyone should have kids? I think everyone has to evaluate their lives, and do what either works for them, or is more of a priority to them. If you are very career driven to the point that you would have to pay someone to raise your kids, chances are that maybe that isnt the correct road for you. Or if you love your live but want a house, it comes down to whats most important.

I just cant see someone saying that their life isnt satisfying because they rent. Whats the difference between a rent payment and a house payment? Your money is still flying out the window.

If your tired of road rage and gas prices, take the bus. If you are somewhat patient, its cheaper and less stressful.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:38 PM

485 posts, read 1,705,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
I currently live about 10 minutes outside of downtown Chicago, and I get the point. Its interesting, because everyone I know says "its expensive to live in LA". Yet they dont realize that some places are just as pricey. A friend of mine and his wife were living in a central northside apartment before they got married. It was a nice place, but nothing spectacular. They were paying $1,200 a month for a one bedroom. I look online, and a decent one bedroom in Santa Monica or West Hollywood goes for around the same price. Not to mention that out in LA you have more apartment complexes. So you get free access to a pool, hot tub, or gym. And trust me, its worth it. With all the big gym charges here in Chicago, you would be paying upwards to $75 for what you would be getting for free in your LA complex.

This is a good example of one of the quotes that I wanted to touch on here. "live free or die trying". Just because you cant afford a so cal lifestyle, doesnt mean you have to be dirt poor and depressed, or fake and in debt. You guys lie in the entertainment center of the world. If you want to go see a movie, there are various small festivals going on each weekend. If you want to go out drinking, find out where the events within your career are, and RSVP. Typically its going to be a open bar, and you will only have to pay for tips. Plus what the heck, you might do some great networking and raise to that high end position that everyone wants.

There are so many different loopholes like this, that no one realizes exists, or they think they are too good to take adantage of them. If you love the stuff at the top designer Beverly Hills shop, go there. You dont have to buy anything. Just window shop, look at the people, and have a good time just getting out and seeing things that you enjoy. I know as a kid here in Chicago, my family didnt have tons of money. So what we would do is go downtown, go to all the free things (like Sears Tower), and walk down Michigan Ave to just look at the things in the different shops, or go see the big storefront decorations during Chistmas Time. It was fun, and trust me .. unless you make an effort to let a kid know that there is a difference in culture, they wont know the differences. They might even have just as much fun as you will.

If you have kids, I know its difficult to find the time, but there are so many neat and creative things to do for little to no money. What does it cost to take your kid to the beach on a Saturday afternoon? What is it, $15 bucks a person to get into the main section of Santa Monica Pier? In the SMDP, I see events for kids all the time at the local libraries and meeting spots. I even hear about random free concerts for more of the teenage crowd. It might not be good music, but i its a really nice night, its better than staying in on a Saturday night.

My other point being, my parents always told me that the more money you make, the more money you spend. And really, you just need to role with the punches. Everyone here seems to assume that if you are older, you are going to be more happy in a house than an apartment. They also seem to be saying that while things are cheaper in other areas, LA is still the place to be. So think about it, would you rather be depressed in a house outside of LA, or depressed in an apartment in LA? Even then, I just dont see the point. I know its slightly getting of topic here, but is there some written law here that everyone needs a house, or everyone should have kids? I think everyone has to evaluate their lives, and do what either works for them, or is more of a priority to them. If you are very career driven to the point that you would have to pay someone to raise your kids, chances are that maybe that isnt the correct road for you. Or if you love your live but want a house, it comes down to whats most important.

I just cant see someone saying that their life isnt satisfying because they rent. Whats the difference between a rent payment and a house payment? Your money is still flying out the window.

If your tired of road rage and gas prices, take the bus. If you are somewhat patient, its cheaper and less stressful.

Well said! I agree with you - for me, having kids and owning a fancy house doesn't = happiness. I am originally from the Midwest, and all of my high school friends own homes and have at least two kids. My husband and I rent a small apt. in L.A. and are childless. Are my friends happier than me because they did things the so-called "normal" way and settled down, bought a house, had kids, etc.? I don't really think so. I don't believe that there are rules in life - you should just do what feels most comfortable to you. I love the fact that my husband and I are "free" and can move to wherever we want, whenever we want. I couldn't stand being tied down to a house, but that is just me. Some of my friends probably think I am missing out by not owning a house. Follow your own happiness.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:08 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,422,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
Whats the difference between a rent payment and a house payment? Your money is still flying out the window.
A rent payment pays someone else's mortgage; a house payment pays your own. It's the difference between being "rich" or "wealthy".

Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
A rent payment pays someone else's mortgage; a house payment pays your own. It's the difference between being "rich" or "wealthy".
Yeah after 30 years of mortgage payments, you own a house. After 30 years of rent payments, you get a 3 day notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles