Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:43 PM

8 posts, read 30,190 times

Advertisements

Please help if you can. My family has decided to relocate to LA from Florida. My husband is dying to move there so I am trying to be positive and supportive. He lived there in the 90's and loved it. Of course that was when he was living single so you don't need the same things when you are a family. I have never been to California. I have looked all through the web to find out where to live that is safe, reasonably priced with good schools. The rent doesn't seem that far off. We are coming from Naples where the housing pricing is crazy. We want to find a nice place to rent that is safe with good schools. One site says no LAUSD others say not too bad. I don't know where to move to. We want to live where the commute to North LA is not bad. Our kids education is of upmost importance to us. We were looking for something renting for under $3000 but with good schools and parks for the kids plus safe. We really want to make the decision so we can move over the summer. Can anyone PLEASW help me with some ideas? Our family would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 03:54 PM

12 posts, read 47,770 times
Hi there. I'm also moving to LA from the east coast in the summer with two kids. Schools and neighborhood are also most important to us as well. So far I've determined that the LAUSD is not that good (look on Greatschools.net) BUT that you can always find a few schools that have good ratings and a diverse student body. Are you going out to look around before you decide on a place? We're going in a few weeks with the family for a week; I can let you know more when we come back. People are helpful on this board to help you with the neighborhoods that sound right for you.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Thanks for the Reply!

That would be great if you could let me know what you find out. We are trying to find a good time for my husband and I to go out and take a look around. Probably next month. All the postings on school info is so confusing. I really appreciate your help.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:04 PM

989 posts, read 5,928,294 times
1st- Where is "North LA?"

The San Fernando Valley is the northernmost part of Los Angeles. In this case, you should look into the surrounding communities of Calabasas, Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks, La Canada, Simi Valley, Santa Clarita, or West Hills.

2nd. LAUSD is HORRIBLE!

You do not want to live in the city of L.A. unless you are living in a place like Encino, Pacific Palisades, West Hills, or parts of Northridge.

Malibu High School is in the top 1% in California. Calabasas HS is also known for it's excellance. La Canada isn't too far behind.

Good Luck in your search,

Old 03-18-2007, 05:40 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,342,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
1st- Where is "North LA?"
Northeast L.A. is Echo Park, Mt. Washington, Montecito Heights, Lincoln Heights, Boyle Heights...

I'm not sure this is where she means. Tell me where your husband will be working and I can help.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:52 PM

Default North Hollywood? Burbank?

My husband wants to go back to LA and try his acting and writing. He has a lot of contacts there that are celebrities now so that might help hopefully. Just trying to support his dream. He actually had a pilot when he left LA in the early 90's so has never gotten that out of his system. He has always wanted to go back and see what happens. If I had a dream I would want him to support me so I am trying. We met had five kids and just started going through life. Now our kids are getting older (12, 9,twins 7 and 3) and we think it is now or never. If nothing else I want a place that is safe, lots for them to do and foremost a great education. Thanks to all of you for helping me.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpatt View Post
My husband wants to go back to LA and try his acting and writing. He has a lot of contacts there that are celebrities now so that might help hopefully. Just trying to support his dream. He actually had a pilot when he left LA in the early 90's so has never gotten that out of his system. He has always wanted to go back and see what happens. If I had a dream I would want him to support me so I am trying. We met had five kids and just started going through life. Now our kids are getting older (12, 9,twins 7 and 3) and we think it is now or never. If nothing else I want a place that is safe, lots for them to do and foremost a great education. Thanks to all of you for helping me.
Burbank is lovely and a great place to raise kids. I prefer the side by Disney Studios and the Equestrian Center that's near the 134 fwy. Most of the architecture is from the 40's leading to smaller scale. There are lots of trees, grass, etc. Most people keep their houses and yards beautiful. You have Media Center nearby and Universal Citywalk within very easy driving distance. Hollywood is of course right over the hill, very easy drive. Burbank up by the airport is ratty looking. Oh...Burbank Airport is my silver bullet for quick out-of-town getaways...no LAX clog and you're through the security line usually in 15 minutes or less.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Burbank

My husband said he liked that area but didn't know what it was like now. Do you know if the schools are good? Thanks so much for your help.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpatt View Post
My husband said he liked that area but didn't know what it was like now. Do you know if the schools are good? Thanks so much for your help.
It's still beautiful. You can walk your little whatever any time of day or night, no fears. Since it's not part of Los Angeles, it's not LAUSD. Regarding specifics on schools, maybe someone else can help.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:35 PM

25 posts, read 213,220 times
As a former teacher for LAUSD, I'd say avoid it altogether. Yes, there are great schools within the district but they are few and far between. You must factor private school into you budget with you are considering a move here.

Secondly, LA city is not ALL bad. I've lived here for 30+ years, I should know. Consider Marina del Rey, Playa Del Rey, Westchester, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, El Segundo, Ladera Heights, Windsor Hills. With all these areas, again, consider private school costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles