Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 04:25 PM

18 posts, read 93,399 times

Advertisements

hey! I'm also thinking about moving to LA. My fiance and I are thinking either about Tempa FL, or LA? We make a pretty good living, his a doctor and I'm still in school. So what you guys say? We have few months to make the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 07:08 PM

644 posts, read 3,322,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway6 View Post
hey! I'm also thinking about moving to LA. My fiance and I are thinking either about Tempa FL, or LA? We make a pretty good living, his a doctor and I'm still in school. So what you guys say? We have few months to make the move.
You make a good living? Great. Move to Santa Monica and find a great apartment near Montana Ave. Fantastic shopping. Near the beach. Very cool area. If he gets a job a Cedar Sinai, then Beverly Hills near Robertson and third is cool. Great neighborhood. Chaya has happy hour every night.

Artie

Old 03-19-2007, 10:42 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,040,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpatt View Post
Thanks for that. I was on here for guidance. I am not an idiot. I have 5 children and I didn't just pack up and drive out there not knowing anything. I wanted to weigh all the options before I moved and see what people would be like there and where is the best to go. My husband really wants to go so I am trying to get information to help us. Thanks to all the good people that have replied and given me good information. We only live once and if you don't dream you don't live. Oh and by the way, I am not escaping Florida. I was just trying to support the person I love.
If you have $3000 a month to spend then Burbank, Santa Monica, Malibu, Beverly Hills, and Sherman Oaks are very good choices. You won't be disappointed with the neighborhoods or the schools.

I wish you and your family all the best. Like you said, you only live once.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:19 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,028,647 times
5 kids and renting, yikes! As much as I love LA, I would not recommend moving into a LAUSD neighborhood unless you are affluent and can afford private school. If public schools are your only option, you should probably stick with some of the smaller cities in and around LA. Burbank is a good suggestion and very convenient to the studios and Hollywood. Glendale is another option, adjacent to Burbank. You might also consider Pasadena which is east of Glendale. Pasadena can be expensive, but area north of the 210 is more affordable and the schools are decent. You might also consider Agoura, Oak Park or Simi Valley. Very clean and safe. Good schools, but a longer commute into city. Culver City is more centrally located in the middle of LA, although a separate city. In the South Bay, there is Torrance and portions of Long Beach near downtown LB and Cal State Long Beach are some good areas, but your husband would be dealing with a longer commute into LA. Bottom line, traffic is a way of life here, so you will have to deal with it. But living in more distant areas like Agoura, for example, is worth it to ensure your kids are in the best possible living environment.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:28 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,028,647 times
ccpatt, since you've never been to LA, here are some pictures of your future home. Enjoy!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=421270

Old 03-20-2007, 12:15 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,640,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
You make a good living? Great. Move to Santa Monica and find a great apartment near Montana Ave.
To live by Montana Ave. in SM one would have to be quite rich - that is amongst the most expensive areas in all of LA County. Even Beverly Hills is cheaper.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:50 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,212,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpatt View Post
Please help if you can. My family has decided to relocate to LA from Florida. My husband is dying to move there so I am trying to be positive and supportive. He lived there in the 90's and loved it. Of course that was when he was living single so you don't need the same things when you are a family. I have never been to California. I have looked all through the web to find out where to live that is safe, reasonably priced with good schools. The rent doesn't seem that far off. We are coming from Naples where the housing pricing is crazy. We want to find a nice place to rent that is safe with good schools. One site says no LAUSD others say not too bad. I don't know where to move to. We want to live where the commute to North LA is not bad. Our kids education is of upmost importance to us. We were looking for something renting for under $3000 but with good schools and parks for the kids plus safe. We really want to make the decision so we can move over the summer. Can anyone PLEASW help me with some ideas? Our family would really appreciate it.
Hi ccpatt, Take a deep breath and know that it will be ok. I have moved with my husband and son to follow my husbands dream two times across country, originally from Ca. Left out families for a new adventure and that is how you should put it to your kids to make it less traumatic.
My suggestion to you for a place to live with an excellent public school system, wonderful parks with recreation activities, great libraries, very safe and gang free, 15 miles from Malibu and twenty minutes to Ventura Harbor beaches, 45 minutes to Santa Barbara, in your prices range nestled in a lovely bedroom community....look into Westlake Village, Oak Park and Thousand Oaks being the fartherest from L.A. but doable. I have lived and raised my 13 year old son here and think it is the perfect place to raise a family. You have major stores here, movies, mom and pop stores, lots of parks,horseback riding, hiking trails, yoga, fitness centers, smog free, not too crowded, public transportation and areas to just walk to. The elementary schools here would be Blue Ribbon schools...Westlake Elementary, Westlake Hills Elementary, Red Oak Elementary, Brookside Elementary, Colina Middle School, Medea Creek Middle School, Agoura High, Oak Park High, Westlake High (highest scores) just to name a few. Go to Craigslist for these areas, realtor.com and The Acorn newspaper on line for rentals. You won't be sorry or around any of the negative elements you hear so much about on this site. PM me for further questions.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:35 PM

8 posts, read 30,194 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your input even the not so positive. The pictures were wonderful. I have deduced from the postings to go for Burbank, Thousand Oaks, Oak Park or Westlake. I saw a property in Shadow hills which I stated earlier my husband had lived in the 90's. Is that still a good area? He has some old friends that he heard live in Sunland. What about that area? I would appreciate if someone could let me know so I can mark that area off the list. Thanks again to all.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,200 times
I lived in Marina del Rey for 7 years and recently relocated back to Texas. The schools in "Marina del Rey, Playa Del Rey, Westchester, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, El Segundo, Ladera Heights, Windsor Hills" you are close to the water and housing will be ridiculous. I would look to the north and consider all the options like Burbank, Sherman Oaks, Calabasas, or Woodland Hills. Another area to consider that is a great family community is Stevenson Ranch- reasonable housing, a commute to downtown LA, and great schools. Hope this helps!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:54 PM

644 posts, read 3,322,891 times
It's not that expensive. Trust me, I've looked and I live in Beverly Hills.

Artie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles