Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:12 PM

51 posts, read 333,424 times

Advertisements

I have decided to commute to work on my bike. Most of my biking will be on Santa Monica Blvd through LA, West Hollywood and Beverly Hills. When I biked in Chicago we did not have to pay attention to red lights. As long as you slowed down to see if nobody is there, cops did not care. What about here. I will be going to work early, around 5:00am. I will be slowing down for my and others safety. But Is it OK to run a red light/stop sign when intersection is empty, or will I get a ticket if cop sees me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 01:30 PM

219 posts, read 609,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxgrzesx View Post
I have decided to commute to work on my bike. Most of my biking will be on Santa Monica Blvd through LA, West Hollywood and Beverly Hills. When I biked in Chicago we did not have to pay attention to red lights. As long as you slowed down to see if nobody is there, cops did not care. What about here. I will be going to work early, around 5:00am. I will be slowing down for my and others safety. But Is it OK to run a red light/stop sign when intersection is empty, or will I get a ticket if cop sees me?
Bicyclists have to obey the same rules that drivers do. That includes traffic signals. California Driver Handbook - Sharing the Road with Other Vehicles - Slow Moving Vehicles, Animal Drawn Vehicles, and Cycles I don't think it's worth risking your life to save 30 seconds waiting for the light.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:41 PM

672 posts, read 2,176,441 times
I know cyclists who have been ticketed for running red lights.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:48 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times
Quote:
But Is it OK to run a red light/stop sign when intersection is empty, or will I get a ticket if cop sees me?
Getting a ticket may be the least of your problems. Most accidents take two people not paying attention before they become accidents. If one person is paying attention and the other is distracted and makes a mistake, the person paying attention may be able to avoid having an accident.

In the case of a bicycle crossing against a red light, you are taking full responsibility of being struck by a car that you may not have seen. The driver on the other hand sees his green light and he assumes there is no cross traffic. This is made even worse because most drivers are looking for other cars, not bicycles. (Ask any motorcycle enthusiast about this.)

So if you cross against a red light you are taking full responsibility for your life, and if you make a mistake you may die for it.

Incidentally, in California bicycles are required to obey all the same traffic laws as autos, although they may not necessarily be ticketed, but they could be.

By the way, how often do you hear of a pedestrian being struck by a hit-and-run driver? It's not unusual, and watching the TV news stories these accidents often happen in darkness and the pedestrian was jaywalking rather than crossing at the intersection. In many cases those pedestrians would be alive today if they hadn't scoffed the law requiring them to use crosswalks.

Have fun with your bicycle! You should rent the movie Final Destination.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:07 PM

I know that I can be struck by a car when crossing on a red light. From my experience you can be hit when crossing on a green light or passing the intersection without lights when you have right of way. When I bike I pay attention to surroundings even to what's happening behind me. I would not ride through red lights without looking first, most of the time I basically stop, look around and continue. My point was if cops actually give tickets here to cyclists who cross red lights, not if they have the right to do so.

Also I have noticed that many cars just turn right and make U-turn in 20 feet. Is it OK to do that?

Old 02-01-2009, 02:56 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:

Please be EXTREMELY careful when riding your bike down Sta Monica Bl. It really is not designed for bicycles. You need to stop at red lights, period if there is auto traffic. When you get to Weho, you might want to use the sidewalks as they are broad in some areas and little ped traffic. When you get to Beverly hills, you might want to use the treed areas or "little sta monica" since there is much less traffic there. Depending on where your job is, you might find that pico, san vicente and wilshire bl are much broader and bicyle friendly than sta monica bl. Find yourself some surface street shortcuts wherever possible. You must be very guarded b/c the areas that you mentioned are very congested and NOT bicycle friendly. I used to ride my bike from weho to will rogers bch a lot and know some of the shortcuts and safe paths. DM if you'd like to know more.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:12 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
I know that I can be struck by a car when crossing on a red light. From my experience you can be hit when crossing on a green light or passing the intersection without lights when you have right of way. When I bike I pay attention to surroundings even to what's happening behind me. I would not ride through red lights without looking first, most of the time I basically stop, look around and continue. My point was if cops actually give tickets here to cyclists who cross red lights, not if they have the right to do so.

Also I have noticed that many cars just turn right and make U-turn in 20 feet. Is it OK to do that?
They can give you a ticket but will they depends. Bicyclists will often ride on the sidewalk, on the wrong side of the road in the opposite direction, without all safety gear, etc. and I never seen them get a ticket. Also, figure if an LEO is in a car and sees you run a red light and he's stuck in traffic, then he probably will have to let it go. Also, if there are other things going on, you're last on the list. Traffic violations occur everwhere. It is about prioritizing. I don't think you'll get a ticket unless it is a lazy Sunday midmorning.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:18 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,289,437 times
They can give you a ticket but I doubt they will. I walk home everyday from work on the sidewalk and I almost get rundown everyday by someone on a bike who gives me a nasty look when I don't move out of THEIR way. I really want to throw a shoulder into them sometimes. It's incredibly rude and dangerous to come at me with their bike when the sidewalk is a few feet wide.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:25 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,244,841 times
Cops will give you a ticket for running a red light or stop sign. For riding the wrong way and on the sidewalk they wont unless you are being reckless or dangerous in some way.
My experience.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:43 PM

Thanks for all responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles