Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:43 PM

14 posts, read 30,504 times

Advertisements

We are moving to California from Utah. We are looking into Orange County, but my husband will be working out of an office in Long Beach. What are the best neighborhoods for schools and a 1st grader in LA county?? I know nothing about this state so any help would be appreciated. i did get input in the OC forum, but I would like info on this area as well.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 07:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 94,038,751 times
"Best" can be interpreted in many ways. "What a first grader is supposed to learn" is vague - also could be student dependent as much as school dependent. Some people place diversity (whatever that really means) over quantified assessment results.

Here's a tool that may provide some ideas:

School Performance Maps

Old 01-27-2009, 07:53 PM

That map doesn't help me with neighborhoods. I moved to Utah a few months ago from Maryland, who has the best schools in the nation and this is what I am comparing my son's learning experience too.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:08 PM

26,329 posts, read 94,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydoo70 View Post
That map doesn't help me with neighborhoods. I moved to Utah a few months ago from Maryland, who has the best schools in the nation and this is what I am comparing my son's learning experience too.
Did you zoom in a look at the individual scores?

Like this:

http://www.schoolperformancemaps.com...3%2C12%2C1%2C2

Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 PM

Yeah I did, but i don't understand the neighborhoods. I have only been to San Diego and no place else in California. My husband is from Garden Grove originally so he wants to come back. This is all new to me. I just want an idea of a neighborhood with exceptional schools is all. Like where do all the families reside?? lol. I am not LDS so don't recommend any of those if possible. I have had enough of that culture to last me 1000 years being in Utah.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:30 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,072,763 times
Here is another tool: LA Life - Find Your Place in Los Angeles. It shows schools, safety, and pricepoint for all of Los Angeles County.

Generally, I would say that if your husband is going to be in Long Beach and is FROM Garden Grove, then Long Beach would be good. I have heard good things about La Mirada schools, although their scores are not spectacular. Very family-oriented area.

What sort of area do you like? Urban or suburban? Shiny new; older with character; or whatever is affordable? What is your budget? Is your first grader your only child?

Old 01-28-2009, 05:16 AM

yep my 1st grader is my only child. I have heard bad things about long beach. What neighborhoods in LB? I checked out the other site that people have provided and I wasn't impressed with the safety or the school score. our budget is 1900 for a rental. We aren't going to buy just yet. I don't really care if it's an older neighborhood, I just want safe.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:15 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,258,829 times
Good luck finding a good and safe school in an area where you can rent for 1900 unless you want a 1 bedroom apt.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:22 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,072,763 times
OK, how about Cerritos? That has good safety and schools, is close to LB and GG (and your child will be glad to hear that it is close to Disneyland!), and it has a really VERY good public library with a phenomenal children's section.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding things in your price range. I did a quick check on Craigslist, and found apartments WELL within your range, as well as a few single-family homes. Rents seem to be coming down. Here is a sample from Cerritos:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/apa/1009824860.html (broken link)

Back to Long Beach:
If this were any other state, Long Beach would have its own forum. It's a large city of 500,000 with good and bad areas. There are several regular posters on this forum who talk about Long Beach, and it seems that they always say that the Bixby Knolls area is good, as well as Belmont Shore and a few others. Seriously if you search, you'll find lots of threads on this topic.

Last edited by timelesschild; 01-28-2009 at 08:32 AM..

Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 AM

916 posts, read 3,712,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydoo70 View Post
yep my 1st grader is my only child. I have heard bad things about long beach. What neighborhoods in LB? I checked out the other site that people have provided and I wasn't impressed with the safety or the school score. our budget is 1900 for a rental. We aren't going to buy just yet. I don't really care if it's an older neighborhood, I just want safe.
You have heard bad things because Long Beach is a huge city and some people don't know enough about the city but they draw conclusions anyway based on one part they may have seen or heard about. There are some bad parts of Long Beach. But if you live in the good parts (and there are vastly more good parts than bad), you'd never experience the bad parts. There are a lot of distinct neighborhoods.

Go look at Naples, Lowell, Kettering, etc. and you'll see some of the best elementary schools in southern california and you'll see some of the nicest neighborhoods as well.

Long Beach is great because it has all the amenities of a big city but feels small because of all the distinct neighborhoods. It has something for everyone. There are beach, suburban, urban and estate neighborhoods. It is older which means the houses don't all look exactly alike which I think gives the neighborhoods some great character.

It's a city of 500k people but you'll feel like you're in a small town. It's a great dynamic.

As for specific neighborhoods I like:

Naples, Belmont Shore, Belmont Park, Belmont Heights, Park Estates, El Dorado Park Estates, Bixby Knolls, Virginia Country Club, the Peninsula, and University Park Estates to name a few.

And unlike a lot of people on this board, I'm not a realtor and I have no vested interest in people moving here. I just like the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles