Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to California: Los Angeles, safe area, traffic, transport system, university.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:24 AM

149 posts, read 568,083 times

Advertisements

Hi City Data Forum I am the dude who will probably move to California very soon. I am going to move there for many reasons which I posted on another thread. I have posted many threads about moving to Southern California. So I am going to ask a list of questions here.

How is the Santa Monica area? What is the environment like?

Is Montebello a dangerous area? Is Cudahy a dangerous area?

How is Bakersfield? I want to visit the Buck Owens palace.

How many degrees will it be in January?

I heard driving is horrible I don't know how to drive yet but I will learn when I get there. Being from New York how is the public transportation is it really that horrible.

Is there a White Castle in California? I looked it up and found out there is none. My uncles friend said there is one I bet he is wrong.

What is Metro PCS thats a California based Cellular phone provider?

I know these are random questions just a little curious. Answer whatever you want. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 12:28 PM

20 posts, read 127,506 times
Greetings - I responded to your other post also. I'll answer the questions that I feel I am qualified to answer:

Montebello is a middle-to-upper middle class community about 8 miles southeast of Downtown LA. Like virtually every community in the region, it has its nice neighborhoods and some that are tired and a little rougher. Cudahy is considerably different - lower-middle class, grittier neighborhoods. Close to LA, but a significantly different character than Montebello.

Public transportation is nothing like NY or other major East Coast cities, primarily because the LA region developed in a sprawl pattern and at a much later time than cities in the East. There is public transit (bus lines, light rail, and regional rail) but they are rarely within a convenient walking distance, with a few exceptions. If you move here, you will need a car. And you will likely get used to the traffic.

To my knowledge, there are no White Castles in CA. But we have In-N-Out Burger. Be prepared to wait in line.

Metro PCS is one of several wireless phone carriers in CA.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-07-2009, 12:45 PM

422 posts, read 1,820,160 times
Miranda, I think it's time you stopped asking all these endless nitpicky questions and just get out here and start living.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:55 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,142,104 times
Bro, about the weather, you had a whole thread about it! Google LA's average temps during the winter. Santa Monica should be mid 60's in January.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,372,800 times
I like the Santa Monica area. Some have joked about the communist city government of Santa Monica but I have never had any dealings with them. I prefer the beach area and the pier. My kids love the rides on the pier.

For all the bad that some say about Bakersfield I like it. It has a country feel. Lots of good ol boys living there. During the past few years the city has transformed as many have moved to the area for affordable housing. It is considered a good place to raise a family. The air quality is far worse there than in Los Angeles.If you like country music and you know about Buck Owens then you should like your stay. Bakersfield at one time was the Nashville of the west. Even the pop group Journey recorded there for a while.

Drinving is not as bad as some think. I have come to find out that where ever you are in the nation the people living there are the greatest drivers in the world and the visitors are terrible drivers. When those people visit another community they feel that the drivers from their community are the best drivers and all others are bad drivers. Driving is something that someone needs to learn the local customs. Out here we drive a way that suits us and maybe only us. When I am in Arizona I drive the way that suits the people there. If you learn how to drive in one geographic location don't think that is the only way to drive. We have people that move here that think that we don't know how to drive in the rain. Most of us drive slow when it rains and are friends from areas that have more rain are not accustomed to that. Here we know that because we are lacking rain the oil from cars builds up on the roadway and when it rains it is slick. Other parts of the country may not understand that. But the locals do.

Not sure about a White Castle. Used to be this Castle overlooking Pepperdine University in Malibu but I don't think it was white. As far as I know it burned down during the last fire. Anyone remember that place?

(Joking about the White Castle. Try In and Out as has been discussed allready. Think you will like it.)

Old 01-07-2009, 02:20 PM

Thanks guys yes CubanCoffe I should hurry and get over there I really want to but I am still in the air about the move. I should be there sometime next week if things go well. I know the weather will be great and when I get there I will take off my heavy winter coat and run on the beach. I will also make fun of the people I know in New York about the awesome weather in Santa Monica. I also really like Buck Owens and Bakersfield sounds like a great place My cousin has a friend in Bakersfield. My uncle also told me that there are great fishing spots in Bakersfield. If anyone else out there knows of other great fishing spots in California please tell me. I like Echo Park it is a nice place to fish. I cannot wait to eat some Jack in the Box and In and Out Burger. When I get there I am going straight to Jack in the Box then over to Anaheim for some Sonic's. Okay guys keep my loser threads alive.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:12 PM

Hi City Data Forum People!

I would like to thank everyone who replied to the threads and kept it all alive. I am on my way to the west FINALLY! After months of writing threads just asking questions about life in California I am finally going. I would like to say that I am glad that I am going and I am glad that it will be 75 degrees in Santa Monica Friday WOW! thats fantastic! From 25 Degrees to 75 I am so exited I have all my stuff packed and I am ready to leave New York once and for all. Thank you all for the replies whether they were negative or positive none of you changed my opinion about me moving but I thank all of you for your insight. It was a long couple of months but I am about to be on my way. When I get there in January for the first time I will reply my opinion about the weather when I am actually there. I cannot believe the time has finally come to get out of this sub zero over crowded place. I am not saying New York sucks I am just personally tired of it if anyone wants to move to New York or visit come on down you will probably love it. If I survived 19 years in the crazy town then anyone can survive trust me when I say that. Thank you City Data Users Thank all of you. I think I will stop posting threads asking about life in California and just live it myself. My uncle and I will travel the whole state in the spring. I am on my way to Burbank then Santa Monica then Pasadena. In the Spring we will take a trip up Northern California. Thank you all thanks so much now if you would excuse me I have to go start living life in California. See you Space Cowboy .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles