Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:26 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times

Advertisements

My dog has trapped and killed two possums in the last few months and I just saw another one tonight walking on the neighbors fence. And its not like Im out in the burbs, I'm in Gardena. A relative in West LA had a similar problem with raccoons where it battled with her dog, and won.

Anyone else having issues? How do I get rid of these little critters, without using my dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,557 times
We don't have possums, although we do have several kinds of animals (raccoons, squirrels, and a pretty skunk). Possums do carry rabies - please be careful.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:51 PM

47 posts, read 150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
We don't have possums, although we do have several kinds of animals (raccoons, squirrels, and a pretty skunk). Possums do carry rabies - please be careful.
The correct name is Opossum not possum, but they are docile in nature and it would extremely rare for an Opossum to carry rabies, their body temperature is not a good incubator for the rabies virus to survive. Opossums are extremely common in southern california and left alone they will never bother you, in fact I have seen animal control officers pick them up with bare handed. Most people think the are rodents but they are actually the only marsupial that is native to North America and are related to the kangaroo and koala bear.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:11 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,557 times
Well, of course we all know that there are two variant spellings for the cute little things. Is there some reason you felt compelled to post a rebuttal?

The OP asked what to do about them. I agree that they don't do much harm. I have always left them alone to do their scavenging work. I have been told in the past that they carry rabies - since you posted the above, I looked it up and I do see several articles supporting your remarks about their low blood temperature. Very interesting. I still wouldn't pick one up.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:13 PM

38,885 posts, read 22,870,508 times
Opossums are fairly common in my area. In fact, last year during the summer, I saw one on my back patio eating my cat's food. It scared me a little when I saw it at first, because it looked like a giant rat. They also like to scurry across the tops of the block wall fences here, and that always makes all the dogs start barking! I was told the best thing to do is leave them alone and they will leave on their own.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:21 PM

47 posts, read 150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Well, of course we all know that there are two variant spellings for the cute little things. Is there some reason you felt compelled to post a rebuttal?

The OP asked what to do about them. I agree that they don't do much harm. I have always left them alone to do their scavenging work. I have been told in the past that they carry rabies - since you posted the above, I looked it up and I do see several articles supporting your remarks about their low blood temperature. Very interesting. I still wouldn't pick one up.

No it's not a variant, it's opposum, possums are not in North America. Do nothing about them, let the food chain handle it, they are everywhere.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:33 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
My dog has trapped and killed two possums in the last few months and I just saw another one tonight walking on the neighbors fence. And its not like Im out in the burbs, I'm in Gardena. A relative in West LA had a similar problem with raccoons where it battled with her dog, and won.

Anyone else having issues? How do I get rid of these little critters, without using my dog?
Since your dogs could acquire fleas from a dead opossum, there are a couple of things you could do to avoid attracting these critters to your yard.

If you have the galvanized steel trash cans, make sure that the lid is secure, as opossums love to scavenge for treats like food residue in tin cans. Don't leave any pet food outdoors, and remove fruit from your trees ASAP. Raccoons and opossums love to nest in certain trees, like the Italian Cypress, and will nest under your home or in your attic, if given an opportunity.

Opossums are very strong. I've used 23 gauge hardware cloth to seal an attic opening, only to find it torn away the following morning. Also, if you seal an opening in the daytime, you may trap a family of opossums inside, where they will starve to death. Inspect the area to be sealed prior to sealing.

They can be handled (with a gloved hand) by the tail and, if you want to transfer them out of the neighborhood, using a metal cage or container placed in the back of a truck will provide a few degrees of separation between you and its fleas. However, it makes more sense to call a pro when you have a problem like this.

Last edited by JustPassinThru; 11-10-2008 at 10:47 AM..

Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think that they are living in a neighbors yard and they get all of the dogs in the neighborhood barking come sundown.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:57 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,223 times
I only see them once in a while wobbling across the street at night usually.

Sounds like you have a happy, working dog.

Did he drag them into the house? I had a dog that would present all his hunting successes, but it was usually birds and mice.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:09 PM

I have a little cockerpoo who is not more larger than the possums. He got upset each time that I made him drop his "find" which he held proudly in his mouth. Didn't have a chance to drag into the house though, thank God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles