Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 03:44 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,721 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Deliverance in 60 Seconds

Old 11-03-2008, 03:56 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,964,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
to "reclaim" land that was "stolen" (as opposed to won, fair and square, in an international conflict).
And paid for, in gold. 28.25 million dollars worth, which combined the land in the Treaty Of Guad. Hidalgo (15 mil), the Gadsden Purchase (10 mil), and 3.25 million in Mexican debt payment.

A tidy sum for what it was, in the mid-1800s.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
The South shall rise again!!!
In some ways it already has; hardly any real estate bubble to deflate, lower unemployment, tax friendly for new businesses and....

Alabama tops BCS standings - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/football/la-spw-bcs3-2008nov03,0,4996976.story - broken link)

Tennessee remains unbeaten

Old 11-03-2008, 06:31 AM

233 posts, read 701,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Having Mexican influence and being part of Mexico are two different things. And yes, there's plenty of people who believe its their right to live in California today because it was once part of Mexico.

Aztlán - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I wouldn't bet against it being part of Mexico again in 2030.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:07 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,608,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardius View Post
...I actually advocate LA becoming more hispanic because I think it creates more options for more people in this country. As AlmightyZeus pointed out if a black man, wants to live in predominantly black city, he can move to Detroit, I would add Altanta and DC to that list. He choose not to exercise that option, but at least he had the option. My own feeling is hispanics should have some options about living in a region with a majority of hispanics. When you have cities with majority hispanic populations you also have city mayors and city councils with hispanic majorities. Basically you are creating a cadre of hispanic leaders and that is probably necessary....
This is one of the most prejudiced and un-American posts I ever had read on these forums. Basically the poster is advocating that everyone from Los Angeles who isn't latino should move away from Los Angeles because a sole demographic "needs" it. By the by edwardius, this isn't how democracy is supposed to work. Remember "E Pluribus Unum?"

Even with southwestern roots intact, L.A. shouldn't be a city with laws skewered towards a foreign country's belief system with a foreign language used exclusively there, any more than Milwaukee should be transmogrified into an oldtime German principality because its ancestry came from there a century and a half ago. The sole reason why the American experiment, historically peopled with folks from other countries, works is because in every other city than Los Angeles, citizens both born and naturalized were proud to embrace American laws, values, culture and ways, with the common lingua franca of the English language so that they could all understand one another.

There are naive posters from elsewhere thinking diversity means ethnic restaurants. I know it means my optical surgeon, originally from India, is one of the best in the world, and explains all technical details to me in the language spoken in the U.S., English. What it shouldn't mean is my daily life in L.A. wherein most of my immediate neighbors fly flags of foreign countries without a U.S. flag alongside (which would have denoted friendship) and consider themselves to be separate from the U.S. forever, in language, thought and deeds, plus the innumerable aspects posters here detail.

Los Angeles generally devolved from its true diversity after the mid-1980's "amnesty" and its ensuing ease for illegals' entry. We now see 300 enter daily. For those unfamiliar with the nuts and bolts of L.A. and its magnetism for illegals, illegals live in residences owned by legal relatives and acquaintances, and L.A. remains a so-called sanctuary city wherein apprehended suspects cannot be asked their legal status. This changes neighborhoods of born and naturalized citizens from everywhere on the globe into those of lawbreakers with no consideration for American values, laws, culture and peoples. Generations proceed without entering mainstream American society in defiance of past statistics on assimilation; they will not and do not consider themselves Americans, and remain suspicious, resentful and antagonistic towards American citizens around them here.

If edwardius thinks the American city I wherein I was born is only fit for one race and that everyone should embrace allegiance to a foreign country, that truly is scary. I will be moving before the Ku Klux Klan analogies to one-race/raza advocacy come to pass for real.

Last edited by fastfilm; 11-03-2008 at 08:17 AM..

Old 11-03-2008, 08:20 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,471,219 times
I used to live in the North side of the city of Los Angeles (I still live in L.A. County). When I started to look into statistics for the schools I was surprised to find VERY little diversity. 98% of the students were of one race, 67% of the students parents had no high school diploma, and the test scores of the kids were a "d" average (this was about 4 years ago) - doesn't sound very diverse to me. I love Los Angeles but it's disheartening to see such a bleak future and it's not so much the race of the people that are moving in as it is their attitudes towards education.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:16 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,141,076 times
I don't get why they can't ask if a person is a citizen? Also, I don't get why California just doesn't make a fortified wall on the border as well. Immigrants are cool, as long as they are not illegal immigrants.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:20 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,642,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
And paid for, in gold. 28.25 million dollars worth, which combined the land in the Treaty Of Guad. Hidalgo (15 mil), the Gadsden Purchase (10 mil), and 3.25 million in Mexican debt payment.

A tidy sum for what it was, in the mid-1800s.
yes, thank you for reminding me of that minor detail.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:41 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,670,791 times
LA is great! its not a pile of $hit, its not a cess pool. its a great place with less than half the population being latino or hispanic. the fact that hispanics are the largest single group does not scare me one bit or threaten diversity.

you all fail to realize that within latino culture there are many many different sub cultures. just like with asians. they are not all just "asian". they are korean, filipino, japanese, cantonese, etc. likewise we have salvadorans, mexicans, bolivians, cubans. and we also have lots of arabs. lebanese, syrian, iraqi, etc. its very tellign that none of you really recognize this as diversity. like if there was a Latino monolith, or asian monolith.

what LA has is real diversity. this is the los angeles of today. what it will be in 20-25 years is unknown. populations ebb and flow. why worry your pretty little head about that. you dont know what it will be. its pure conjecture.

lets look at the currents sitiation. latinos in LA city or LA county are only about 45% of the population. and within that there are many different cultures. thats diversity.

some of you dont think so, but it is. we have asian diversity. hispanic diversity. white diversity.

LA has a lot to offer.

you can either complain about it, or relish it.
I LOVE IT HERE AND I AM VERY HAPPY TO SEE HOW DIVERSE IT REALLY IS.

where else can i go from koreatown to j town to filipino town to litle guatemala and el savador on the same bus line?

this is much ado about nothing really.

its not as bad as you people think.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:33 PM

188 posts, read 920,681 times
I read somewhere, (I'm thinking City of Quartz, a good read for all LA doomsdayers), that at one point LA was the waspiest major city in the US. Makes sense, since it lacked the ethnic catholic immigration wave that the Northeast had. Think of the fuss a 1930 angelino would make of today's current diversity. I understand and see where a lot of your frustrations comes from, the middle class valley of the 1950s and 1960s is long gone and South LA's African American vibrancy and leadership may be in their last throws. I also don't doubt that the cheapened labor brought by illegal immigration has come at a cost to the greater community. (Im sure politicians from both parties could have acted much tougher if they or some of their supporters didnt find something beneficial in allowing them over in big numbers) However LA today is second only to NYC in attracting new immigrants, who come from all over (iran, armenia, korea, thailand) and it will for sure look different in the future, but theres no reason to believe the whole city will look like Cudahy, or Tijuana by 2030. The one place I find intriguing is the San Gabriel Valley, where with white flight, numerous suburban towns have turned nearly entirely hispanic and asian. In the future I think more areas will appear more like this, both inside the LA area and out (Bay area, seattle). I also feel that a white presence and majority will exist in the Westside and South Bay within the next succeeding generations. I have relatives that have left to Colorado, seeking a quieter, more familiar setting, which I wouldn't fault someone for doing if they truly believe they'd be happier elsewhere. I just think that the city has too unique an energy and vibrancy to write it off in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles