Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
I've always believed that, when I've walked down a sidewalk with somebody that's only wide enough for two people, and somebody approaches from the opposite direction, it's impolite to not fall back into tandem so that the person walking in the opposite direction can pass. However, more often than not, people insist on walking two abreast even when somebody is trying to pass from the opposite direction, and as a result, make the passerby barely squeeze by. Isn't this rude?
It is rude and I have wondered if I or my friends were being "challenged" at times (as the people doing it will sometimes have an angry look on their face for no good reason). I'm noticing this more often now, so I guess I'll just blame it on the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 10:15 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
when I walk towards them they never move, I always have to jump off the sidewalk or walk on the grass to make room for them.

same thing happens in places like WALMART, they know your trying to walk past but they wont move unless you say something, so I usually go around to another aisle to get around them.
Ha! I thought I was the only one that did that at Walmart. Some of those people that won't move are not worth losing a few teeth over in saying "excuse me".

I can't stand that place but I still shop there. I guess I'm a 'glutton for punishment'.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:08 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
yes its rude, but i keep on walking by, if i brush shoulders with them i dont acknowledge them. but this depends on the situation.
dont get yourself in a predicament with the wrong people. if you dont live in the hood then i guess you have nothing to worry about.
but you never know.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:02 PM

956 posts, read 3,002,402 times
Thanks for the replies. What's strange is that, although I'm just average in height for a Caucasian male, I work out and I'm kind if heavy set, and nobody generally screws with me (unless they're in a moving vehicle and they can make a quick escape after telling me how I should cross the street, et al...). However, a lot of these people I come up against in sidewalk challenges aren't particularly large; in fact just yesterday I almost ran into a 110 lb. female who I could have probably knocked over with just my index finger. Rather odd creatures in this city...

Old 10-28-2008, 06:50 PM

236 posts, read 789,355 times
It's extremely rude! Even more rude when you are walking behind them trying to pass, and they are walking 0.2 miles per hour. I've just started knocking people down and feel much better now...

Old 10-28-2008, 07:01 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
even worse are those who don't share the road with opposing traffic on narrow streets. just the other day, an ******* in a giant truck came barreling down the road at me, when it was clear the neither he nor i could pass if we didn't both move to the right. i pulled over as far as i could given the parked cars, and he just drove straight down middle of the road until he had to swerve at the last second to avoid hitting me. i really don't understand why someone would do that.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:18 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
even worse are those who don't share the road with opposing traffic on narrow streets. just the other day, an ******* in a giant truck came barreling down the road at me, when it was clear the neither he nor i could pass if we didn't both move to the right. i pulled over as far as i could given the parked cars, and he just drove straight down middle of the road until he had to swerve at the last second to avoid hitting me. i really don't understand why someone would do that.
I think it's an ego thing with the Truck.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:25 PM

513 posts, read 897,058 times
Yes I agree, that is rude and I do find it annoying when it happens. It's almost like a power hungry control thing for the person doing it. The next time it happens you could stop in your tracks and prentend to bend down and tie your shoe or fix your pant leg. This forces them to single file it and walk around you while you ignore them. I think I will try that the next time that happens to me.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
I've always believed that, when I've walked down a sidewalk with somebody that's only wide enough for two people, and somebody approaches from the opposite direction, it's impolite to not fall back into tandem so that the person walking in the opposite direction can pass. However, more often than not, people insist on walking two abreast even when somebody is trying to pass from the opposite direction, and as a result, make the passerby barely squeeze by. Isn't this rude?
Absolutely! But it's also rude to spit, to blow your nose onto the sidewalk (yes, I've seen this), to exhale your cigarette smoke into my breathing space, to talk so loudly on your cell phone that I can't hear myself think, etc., etc., etc.

I find it's best to just put it in the "Whaddya gonna do?" column and move on .....

Old 10-28-2008, 09:58 PM

12 posts, read 29,752 times
the best way to deal with this is to have good manors yourself and ignore those who do not.Be an example and perhaps others will see it and maybe they decide they should do this to.If they dont they are really hurting themselves as those who know better will think they are stupid.I have noticed many people who are what you would say self absorbed they are also secretly within themselves the most concerned with what others think about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles