Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:07 PM

215 posts, read 878,669 times

Advertisements

My scenario: I have lived in the Northwest almost my entire life. Currently in a mid-sized community. Got the "American dream": 4 bedroom house, safe & quiet neighborhood, 2 kids, nice sized yard, so on, and so forth.

So I am considering a job with Disney. I am a corporate finance guy, and this has always been a company I really wanted to work for. The job would be in Burbank, I believe.

I am wondering if there is anywhere within a reasonable distance that I could afford to put my family in a nice, safe, middle-class community. You know, the type with rows of new homes, kids playing in the streets, and lots of SUV's/minivans. Please, I am NOT looking for anything high-end, rather, the "typical" middle class suburban neighborhood where people are going to be friendly to their neighbors.

So tell me, does this exist and where would one look in the area? Please be brutally honest with me. Obviously I know that L.A. will be a world away from the Northwest community I live in now, but I've got to believe that I can find what I'm looking for - that it exists in Souther California somewhere within a reasonable distance from Burbank.

Thanks ahead of time for your help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 10:10 PM

396 posts, read 1,724,876 times
burbank would be perfect, right by disney, a lot of stuff for familes, very safe.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:22 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,421,409 times
How much can you spend?

Old 08-28-2008, 10:35 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,058,305 times
If you are wanting the new houses with 4 bedrooms, you might look out around Santa Clarita. It all depends on your budget.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:38 PM

113 posts, read 388,217 times
I'm from Seattle myself. Moved out here in '99.

As a general rule, the LA area is roughly twice as expensive. You will get far less sq. footage and you will be living in a much older house. The so-called middle class neighborhoods in Burbank are going for over $400,000. This is for a 4-bedroom 2-bath home.

L.A. for the most part is a giant **** hole. Unless you are earning $200,000/yr and you can afford to live in the hills or in the beach communities, your life will be a struggle. Don't move here unless you are willing to sacrifice quality of life for your career advancement.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,472,244 times
Disney isn't known for paying very well either. My mom works for Disney in Anaheim and everyone she's worked with that's left has done much better after Disney. People are lined up around the block to work at the "The Happiest Place on Earth" and Disney knows it so they don't have to pay much.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:56 PM

113 posts, read 388,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Disney isn't known for paying very well either. My mom works for Disney in Anaheim and everyone she's worked with that's left has done much better after Disney. People are lined up around the block to work at the "The Happiest Place on Earth" and Disney knows it so they don't have to pay much.
I was thinking of saying something similar but I didn't want to sound too negative!

I like Los Angeles for what it is. I've always been able to pay the bills but my quality of life isn't so great. I'm moving to Las Vegas next month because I can live better for less money.

L.A. is great if you are in your 20's, and you are hungry and ambitious.
If you are settled down with a family and big bills, I wouldn't recommend coming out here unless you can make at least 100K/yr minimum.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:29 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,444,956 times
Check out Santa Clarita. It is a nice and safe area with lots of families and is typical suburbia. Lots of minivan driving moms taking their kids to the park and stuff. The schools are pretty good there also.

A perfect commute would be to ride the Metrolink train from Santa Clarita to the downtown Burbank station. For example one leaves SC at 7:21AM and arrives at Burbank station at 7:54AM. You would then transfer to the pink route of the Burbank Bus which is coordinated with this train arrival and ride it to Disney headquarters arrivng at 8:04AM (assuming you are at the main studios). This same coordination works for your commute home to Santa Clarita.
Metrolink :: Antelope Valley Line
:: Burbank Bus :: (http://www.burbankca.org/burbankbus/media_district_metrolink.htm - broken link)

Santa Clarita also has some of the more affordable real estate in the area so I think you won't find it too horrible. Its a nice place and you will find lots of families. Its also very clean too.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:23 AM

66 posts, read 149,390 times
The media district in Burbank (the area around WB, NBC, and Disney) is pretty nice. But it's "LA nice." Which means, homes built in the 30s and 40s that are 1200 sq ft and selling for 500-600k.

I've experienced Disney's relatively low pay first hand, but it sounds like you'll have a nice office executive-type job. If you're pulling in over six figures, I'd look in NW Glendale (above Glenoaks, in the hills -- it's about 650k and up, but excellent, excellent quality of life) and maybe La Canada/Flintridge.

It also would be worthwhile to look in Encino and Sherman Oaks, south of Ventura blvd..

Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,123,519 times
If you are going to work in Burbank, I would recommend living in Burbank. I agree that it should suit your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles