Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 PM

5 posts, read 24,953 times

Advertisements

My wife and I grew up in LA, but have been working in San Francisco all of our adult lives. My wife recently got a job near Westwood so we're relocating to LA shortly, but we're having trouble finding an area to live in. We grew up in the South Bay and Valley when we were young, so we would like to live in a similar upper middle class area now. However, because we only had those perspectives as high school students, it has become quite a dilemma for us because those locations are painful 1+ hour commutes to West LA. We're looking to rent a townhouse style place first before committing ourselves to an area by purchasing. What are potential areas to consider with mid-30s professionals ready to have children, while also within a reasonable commute?

I've looked at Manhattan Beach, but other than the million dollar homes, the rental/affordable area east of Sepulveda is packed with 70s style buildings on tightly gridded blocks. Are there Irvine-like areas commutable to West LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 01:32 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
the thousand oaks and santa clarita areas are probably what you are looking for if you like irvine. however, as you mentioned, they are close to an hour commute. new and nice anywhere near the westside is going to cost in the millions for a house. i'm a bit confused though, do you want to live in the city and have a short commute or are you looking for newer developments? you could also provide your housing budget (mortgage/rent), which would also allow people to help you a bit more.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:15 PM

749 posts, read 1,863,561 times
Culver City might offer what you are looking for.....not as expensive as say SM or Brentwood. But well located and not too far from Westwood.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrapples View Post
job near Westwood
grew up in the South Bay and Valley
would like to live in a similar upper middle class area
those locations are painful 1+ hour commutes to West LA.
What are potential areas to consider with mid-30s professionals ready to have children, while also within a reasonable commute?

I've looked at Manhattan Beach, but other than the million dollar homes, the rental/affordable area east of Sepulveda is packed with 70s style buildings on tightly gridded blocks. Are there Irvine-like areas commutable to West LA?
What do you think your purchase price range will be when it is time to buy? (I am not familiar with rents so I'm asking this instead.) I would imagine you'd factor in one or two working parents. If you can afford Brentwood, Bel Air, Rancho Park, the northern side of Santa Monica like near San Vicente, then you have no problem.

Manhattan Beach is on the other side of the 10/405 interchange so a commute from there is likely to be nasty.

Is there any way you/she can work flexed hours like 630AM-300PM?

A carpool lane is under construction on the 405 through the Sepulveda Pass. This may make things better for people commuting from the valley but its completion is two or so years away and it seems when the freeways back up the carpool lanes back up too.

If it were me I'd go
Conejo Valley (Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks, Oak Park, Calabasas, Westlake Village)
Simi Valley/Moorpark
Santa Clarita

Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 PM

89 posts, read 215,116 times
Quote:
However, because we only had those perspectives as high school students, it has become quite a dilemma for us because those locations are painful 1+ hour commutes to West LA. We're looking to rent a townhouse style place first before committing ourselves to an area by purchasing. What are potential areas to consider with mid-30s professionals ready to have children, while also within a reasonable commute?
I know this is an off-the-wall suggestion, but have you thought about... West L.A.?

It might not be where you end up when you're ready to have kids, but there are always units to rent in the area. You can use the time you'd otherwise spend commuting to investigate the places you might want to commit to.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 24,953 times
Interesting, I would have thought that the Valley cities you guys mentioned would be an equally nasty or more nasty a commute as the South Bay. Our budget for a home would likely be around $900k-$1m.

We struggled really hard with living in West LA, but we found that the main reason we would live there is purely for the sake of a commute. I analogize it as living in a dorm. West LA, being more urban, crowded, trafficky, tough parking, etc. is not what we had in mind for where we want to live, but we were really tempted because of the commute.

Where are the nicer areas of Culver City? We drove around the Downtown CC and Sony Studios area, but there weren't any obvious pockets/blocks that were newer or nicer.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
more urban, crowded, trafficky, tough parking, etc...not what we had in mind
Be careful, you might be accused of wanting a non walkable, not liberal or funky, cookie cutter, non artsy, unhip, sprawl contributing, non public transit, corporate square peg in a square hole, no diversity, conservative, SUV minivan lifestyle.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:40 PM

109 posts, read 204,773 times
Quote:
Interesting, I would have thought that the Valley cities you guys mentioned would be an equally nasty or more nasty a commute as the South Bay. Our budget for a home would likely be around $900k-$1m.

We struggled really hard with living in West LA, but we found that the main reason we would live there is purely for the sake of a commute. I analogize it as living in a dorm. West LA, being more urban, crowded, trafficky, tough parking, etc. is not what we had in mind for where we want to live, but we were really tempted because of the commute.

Where are the nicer areas of Culver City? We drove around the Downtown CC and Sony Studios area, but there weren't any obvious pockets/blocks that were newer or nicer.
For Culver City, there are a couple of decent pockets that come to mind. First, there is a small pocket just south of Washington, north of Culver, west of Overland and east of Elenda. Second there is another pocket near the high school, south of Culver, west of Overland, east of Huron and the whole southern part is bordered by the high school. The third area are the hills east of Overland, between West LA College and Holy Cross cemetery.

Then again, if you don't care much to live in West LA then Culver City is not much different.

Have you looked at the Playa Vista development? The bluffs just west of Loyola Marymount on the other side of Sepulveda? Both of those areas you'd swear you were in the OC if you didn't know any better.

Also possibly worth a look, there's some properties between Alla Rd and Centinela on the west and east, and between Short and Culver on the north and south with quick access to Marina del Rey.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:19 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cim303 View Post
For Culver City, there are a couple of decent pockets that come to mind. First, there is a small pocket just south of Washington, north of Culver, west of Overland and east of Elenda. Second there is another pocket near the high school, south of Culver, west of Overland, east of Huron and the whole southern part is bordered by the high school. The third area are the hills east of Overland, between West LA College and Holy Cross cemetery.
It's actually harder picking out UNDESIRABLE pockets of Culver City east of the 405 than it is picking out DESIREABLE pockets. (West of the 405 it gets iffier, there are some good streets, some bad streets, and much in between.)

Those are all good areas but the area between Washington Blvd./Place and Culver and east of the 405 is quite good too. The Veteran's Park area.

Don't know how anyone could complain about the area by the studios, that is a perfectly nice area. Some might think Eastern Culver City (Higuera, McManus, etc.) is a worse area than it actually is just because it's near some areas in the city of Los Angeles that are bad areas, but it's perfectly fine. It's just older.

Quote:
Then again, if you don't care much to live in West LA then Culver City is not much different.
There is a very big difference.
West LA - LAUSD and LAPD.
Culver City - NOT LAUSD and NOT LAPD. Better schools and more effective, albeit much more intrusive and rather intolerant, cops.

Culver City preserves more of the features of the old westside than the other westside areas. It's obviously similar to West LA in many ways, but there are differences.

Quote:
Have you looked at the Playa Vista development? The bluffs just west of Loyola Marymount on the other side of Sepulveda? Both of those areas you'd swear you were in the OC if you didn't know any better.
Playa Vista has some soil contamination issues and is LAUSD although nice. As for recommending Westchester over Culver City, I really don't see why. Yes, there are many similarities and Westchester is nice but it is LAUSD and LAPD.

Quote:
Also possibly worth a look, there's some properties between Alla Rd and Centinela on the west and east, and between Short and Culver on the north and south with quick access to Marina del Rey.
Interesting that someone would think Del Rey was nicer than Culver City. Del Rey and Western Culver City are pretty much identical. Both have good, bad, and in between.

BTW Charles recommending Santa Clarita, Simi Valley, and the Conejo Valley are pretty blatantly ridiculous. Those are VERY far from Westwood.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:24 PM

11 posts, read 34,873 times
My cousins live in a very nice, relatively new, development in Westchester, off 77th Avenue, West of Sepulveda. Not a bad commute to WLA, close to airport and nice cul-de-sacs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles