Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:38 PM

6 posts, read 18,204 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband's white, I'm black and we have 3 kids ages under age 8. We're considering moving back to the LA area (we lived here 4 years ago), but I'm concerned for the kids making friends. Right now we're outside of NYC and it's not an issue. Our town has a a very good racial mix. We're considering Burbank Hills or South Pasadena for the schools. I've noticed a lot more interracial couples in the LA area since we lived there 4 years ago, but still worry about the kids making friends. Any insight on South Pasadena or Burbank for an BW interracial family? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 02:46 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,868,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kebrde View Post
Hi,
My husband's white, I'm black and we have 3 kids ages under age 8. We're considering moving back to the LA area (we lived here 4 years ago), but I'm concerned for the kids making friends. Right now we're outside of NYC and it's not an issue. Our town has a a very good racial mix. We're considering Burbank Hills or South Pasadena for the schools. I've noticed a lot more interracial couples in the LA area since we lived there 4 years ago, but still worry about the kids making friends. Any insight on South Pasadena or Burbank for an BW interracial family? Thanks.
Your kids won't have any trouble with people in high school. When I was in school, people barely notice mixed kids. They were pretty much respected. My sister is married to a white man and has three kids together. The boys have no trouble makig friends in school. I'm telling from my perspective in Long Beach.

So no, your kids would fit just fine in the LA area.

PS: I have asked a similar question like this back in January.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 PM

6 posts, read 18,204 times
Thanks! I'll look up your past post.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:03 PM

Default No need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebrde View Post
Thanks! I'll look up your past post.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...s-angeles.html

Here's the link to my thread.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:59 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,241 times
Being bi-racial in South Pas is no problem. There is a large mix of family types that my kids go to school with. Most common is white/asian couples with a smaller number of latino (or latina)/white and black/white. Also lots of kids with 2 moms and a smaller number with 2 dads. South Pas is pretty liberal and it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
Being bi-racial in South Pas is no problem. There is a large mix of family types that my kids go to school with. Most common is white/asian couples with a smaller number of latino (or latina)/white and black/white. Also lots of kids with 2 moms and a smaller number with 2 dads. South Pas is pretty liberal and it shouldn't be a problem for you.
What are you mixed with?

Old 07-08-2008, 07:19 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
What are you mixed with?
I'm not "mixed with" anything (maybe a little rum and coke). I'm white and my wife is asian, so are kids are bi-racial.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
I'm not "mixed with" anything (maybe a little rum and coke). I'm white and my wife is asian, so are kids are bi-racial.
Oh, silly me.

I'm so glad I was born and now living in the LA area.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:05 PM

355 posts, read 1,478,961 times
Well, take a look at that other topic in the LA forum on South Pasadena. There are a couple of people who are claiming South Pas is very intolerant of biracial/"mixed" couples.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:55 PM

84 posts, read 297,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delron View Post
Well, take a look at that other topic in the LA forum on South Pasadena. There are a couple of people who are claiming South Pas is very intolerant of biracial/"mixed" couples.
it looks like it would depend on who your neighbors end up being. if they are the born and bred in South Pas and will die in South Pas older generation type, they might not welcome you with open arms. They've lived here when every house was White/Caucasian. They've watched neighborhoods changed and they don't necessarily like it. If you end up living near younger generation more tolerant types then your experience will -hopefully- be different and better. like any area, ya never know what you're gonna get but unlike other areas Southern California in general tends to be more tolerant of all different types so odds are in your favor.

Personally I think Orange County is more tolerant than LA. Sure LA has ALOT of diversity but the groups tend to stick with their own kind whereas in OC there are alot more interracial couples and people don't even bat an eye. As long as you don't prejudge them, they won't prejudge you. At least they wouldn't let their own prejudice (if they have some) and beliefs get in the way of treating you less than anyone else. My opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles