Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 13,424 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone out there who has not liked living in South Pasadena, and if so, why? Thinking about moving there -- all we have heard so far is good stuff, but know there must be some negatives -- wondnering what they are for a family of 5 (mom, dad, 3 school age kids).... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 11:10 AM

332 posts, read 2,149,324 times
for a family, the only negative I can think of is that there might not be any grocery stores or restaurants within walking distance... other than that I don't think there's anything wrong with South Pas.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:10 PM

27 posts, read 136,715 times
The very southwest corner is a little too close for comfort to Highland Park. Also quite industrial (and ugly). This applies to about 3 blocks along the southwest portion. I find the southern hill portions to be too inaccessible. Also, the eastern half of the hills I find to be ugly in terms of housing style. Lots of that 70s ranch stuff going on. The rest of the city is very quaint.

Fair Oaks, Fremont, and to a lesser degree Monterey, have very heavy traffic.

Since it is inland, you will have to deal with hotter summers. The air quality, as all inland areas are, is bad for you, but it's better than it used to be. You won't have noticeable problems from it, but you might have long term effects from it (increased risk of heart disease, etc). The only way to get away from that is to live on the coast. South Pasadena has the 110 cutting through the middle of it, which probably means quite poor air quality near that corridor.

The town shuts down early at night, but you can take the metro line to Pasadena which is always busy.

It is not extremely well located, so your commute usually goes up by 10 minutes. Less so if you are going south along the 110 route.

Also, you may have increased allergy problems, as California sheds pollen all year long. But this is a California problem, not exclusive to South Pas.

People without families usually find South Pasadena to be too slow and tame. Also, there was a no cussing "ordinance" recently (just for show), and some people feel like that's a little too "cutesy" or "Beaver Cleavery" for their taste.

If it weren't for the air pollution issue, South Pasadena would be my first choice to live in Los Angeles (with a family). Without a family, Old Town Pasadena.

This is without giving commute any consideration whatsoever.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:13 PM

108 posts, read 290,662 times
I totally agree with absolutely everything the last poster mentioned, and I was born and raised in So Pas. I moved out when I went to college, but my mom still lives there, and I still have friends who moved back there to raise their kids. I'm now 33.

Since the other poster covered it so well, the only other "bad" thing I can think of is that since So Pas is now on the radar map as one of the best places to live in LA, the demographics of the city are changing. Very rich folks from LA's westside have discovered it and are moving in. So I now see some people who wear designer clothes and expensive accessories. And a couple more expensive botique stores and a botique restaurant or two have popped up as well. You never used to see that, because So Pas really was (and for the most part still is) a Norman Rockwell painting. Although these folks for the most part seem to be nice and family oriented, (hence they're moving there) it seems to bring a touch of "hollywood". And I'm not sure how that will play out for the future of So Pas in the years to come.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:44 PM

108 posts, read 290,662 times
Since you mentioned you are "thinking" about moving to So Pas, another great city on equal par is Sierra Madre. It is a city thats smaller than So Pas, perhaps a 15 minute drive going east down the 210 freeway. Not too far from Pasadena. The city forbids most big-box retailers and chain-stores from setting up shop there. A very small but charming downtown with mom & pop stores exists. The city is up against the San Gabriel mountains so it has a woodsy feel to it. Tree-lined streets, with very nice houses that must adhere to certain criteria set by the city. Although it may sound controlling, the city does a very good job of maintaining a small-town feel and nice aestetics. Home prices are similar to So Pas, perhaps from $650K - $950K for the most part, but you probably won't find many for sale. Sierra Madre is more sleepy than So Pas, as So Pas is next door to old town Pasadena, Alhambra, and close to downtown LA.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,241 times
We love living here, worked really hard to get a house here for the schools. Only negatives I see are the housing prices and some of the local attitude from long time residents. The attitude is mostly present in city politics and runs along the lines of "I've lived here all my life and I know best for the city." Some of the long time residents seem to forget that South Pasadena is not Mayberry. We are a small community surrounded by the whole of LA (not the city of LA but the metro area) and we need to remember what affects the whole affects us.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 7,365 times
For schools you cant beat it. It was the reason we settled her 12 years ago, the feel of the city is small town though you have Fair Oaks avenue where Vons n Pavillion are located. as well as small mom and pop stores a rite aid and soda shop that also serves as a pharmacy along Mission Street which is considered our little Old town. Antique stores line the blocks that are located near the Gold line on Mission along with some smaller stores. The only thing negative I will say about it is the restricted parking all along the Gold line for blocks where they have 2 hour parking only on regular neighborhood streets. and the way they try and charge mechants for everything even putting a chair outside there shop they want money money money. I dislike Pasadena for this and South Pasadena isnt too far behind them in this respect. Our police force is wonderful however as is our Fire Dept both residing on and around Misson Street. all is all it is the ideal place for living with school age children with places to shop within walking distance. while still having that small town feel to it

Old 09-15-2009, 03:45 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Only downsides are what others mentioned. Expensive and location makes for a long commute to most work centers.

That said, I'd gladly own a house there if I could afford it.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayolm View Post
...another great city on equal par is Sierra Madre. It is a city thats smaller than So Pas, perhaps a 15 minute drive going east down the 210 freeway. Not too far from Pasadena...
Sierra Madre is one of the most charming cities in the San Gabriel Valley, but usually only an option for someone with a family who can send their kids to private schools, since it's served by the Pasadena USD.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Love how these threads magically pop back up after years and years. This one is 2 years old. As for Sierra Madre versus So Pasadena, yes, the school district would be the number one difference plus Sierra Madre is or used to be on the liberal side and So Pasa is extremely conservative overall.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles