Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 02:02 PM

126 posts, read 678,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sierra Madre is or used to be on the liberal side and So Pasa is extremely conservative overall.

Nita
I lived in both places and found the people in So. Pas. were far more liberal. Funny how that works. Nita may be right about the city overall, though, as I can only attest to the people I met and knew.

As for So. Pas. negatives, it is very hot in the summer, very quiet after 10:00 pm, you will probably get a speeding ticket or two unless you are really careful, and it is rapidly turning into one of the trendiest and most expensive places to live in LA. There is more than one baby boutique that just popped up on Mission, as well as a cupcake place, and that pretty much says it all.

Living in South Pas: 9/10.
Living in Sierra Madre: also 9/10 (assuming you don't send your high school aged children to PHS).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 04:03 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,518,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domsey View Post
I lived in both places and found the people in So. Pas. were far more liberal. Funny how that works. Nita may be right about the city overall, though, as I can only attest to the people I met and knew.

As for So. Pas. negatives, it is very hot in the summer, very quiet after 10:00 pm, you will probably get a speeding ticket or two unless you are really careful, and it is rapidly turning into one of the trendiest and most expensive places to live in LA. There is more than one baby boutique that just popped up on Mission, as well as a cupcake place, and that pretty much says it all.

Living in South Pas: 9/10.
Living in Sierra Madre: also 9/10 (assuming you don't send your high school aged children to PHS).
I think you might have witnessed the liberal side, I am thinking of the voting records and overall reputation. Yes, it is extremely family oriented and trendy for family life particularly..

Nita

ps: I probably should add, conservative for Ca might be liberal to someone coming from the mid west!!!

Old 09-15-2009, 06:35 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,878,117 times
Not to go off-topic, but plenty of the Midwest is extremely blue territory; as a native Minnesotan (Paul Wellstone territory!) who lived in South Pasadena (and very liberal myself), I found it overall a pretty liberal place. It wasn't, however, an extremely political place, or rather I should say political energy was mostly channeled towards fighting the 710 freeway.

I'm not in South Pasadena currently, but in 2008 there used to be a group of people who stood on the corner of Fair Oaks and Mission with political signs; can't remember exactly what they said, but I think they were of the "honk if you want to impeach Bush" variety. My more conservative boss has made comments about how South Pas has changed over the years; maybe politic leanings are one of those changes?

For those who are worried, though, I think both conservatives and liberals will be happy in South Pasadena.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:15 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,518,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Not to go off-topic, but plenty of the Midwest is extremely blue territory; as a native Minnesotan (Paul Wellstone territory!) who lived in South Pasadena (and very liberal myself), I found it overall a pretty liberal place. It wasn't, however, an extremely political place, or rather I should say political energy was mostly channeled towards fighting the 710 freeway.

I'm not in South Pasadena currently, but in 2008 there used to be a group of people who stood on the corner of Fair Oaks and Mission with political signs; can't remember exactly what they said, but I think they were of the "honk if you want to impeach Bush" variety. My more conservative boss has made comments about how South Pas has changed over the years; maybe politic leanings are one of those changes?

For those who are worried, though, I think both conservatives and liberals will be happy in South Pasadena.
yep, much of the midwest does lean toward Blue, but I think I was referring more to the lower midwest instead of upper. I consider Mi more in the Great Lakes territory, same with Chicago. I guess it is how you look at things. To me midwest is Iowa, MO, Kansas, even the Dekotas and Ne. In fact here in AR many consider the NW part to be more midwest, same with much of OK. Maybe we need to change our definition of midwest from geographical to cultural.

Nita

Old 09-15-2009, 07:20 PM

637 posts, read 3,247,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey290 View Post
Is there anyone out there who has not liked living in South Pasadena, and if so, why? Thinking about moving there -- all we have heard so far is good stuff, but know there must be some negatives -- wondnering what they are for a family of 5 (mom, dad, 3 school age kids).... Thanks!

I'll give you two; it's in PISD, and its too close to North Pas

Old 09-15-2009, 10:02 PM

689 posts, read 2,593,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Conroe resident View Post

I'll give you two; it's in PISD, and its too close to North Pas
What? South Pasadena Unified School District (South Pasadena Unified School District), distinctly different from Pasadena Unified School District (Pasadena USD - Index). Not sure where "North Pas" is, unless that's Altadena.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,249,845 times
A real boon to So Pas is the train station @ Mission. It connects you to downtown Pas or Los Angeles. That station is probably the best sited in the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles