Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 05:44 PM

38 posts, read 148,206 times

Advertisements

Are you tired of paying 4.50 and feel something should be done.the following link will take you to sean hannity where you can sign a petition that will be presented to congress to demand that we drill for our own oil in Alaska,California,Florida, and Nebraska and quit giving our money to middle eastern dictatorships that want to kill us.Quit complaning about the high price of gas and do something by signing this petition

American Solutions - Petitions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 05:47 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,224,788 times
or, you could drive less. thats what i do anyways. lower demand = lower prices.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:49 PM

715 posts, read 2,088,878 times
Share rides are also effective. I also agree, lower demand will be more fruitful.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:15 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,906,303 times
Lower demand will NOT be more fruitful. Foreign energy costs are not solely based on US consumption. Energy requirements by China and India will drive up energy prices far more than any offset from reduced US demand. Until we eliminate the NIMBY mentality, we'll always be defendant on foreign energy sources. I don't want to destroy the environment anymore than the next guy, but we have to start looking for additional energy sources in our own backyard. And we need to do it with minimal impact to the environment.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:48 PM

Additional energy resources from what exactly?

In the mean time what do you propose for joe public to preserve his resources??

Old 06-12-2008, 07:02 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,874,623 times
I better learn how to drive a standard. I heard they drink up less gas.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:39 PM

100 posts, read 443,103 times
lower demand will never equal lower prices=because the oil companies want to make the same regardless so the less people drive the higher the prices will go-it has always been that way=in Germany in 2001 i was paying about 8 dm per gallon and demand is lower there than here....they have us by the stones as most american cities force you to have a vehicle by having grade school designed mass transit...I'm a car nut but when I lived in Los Angeles--Redondo Beach exact and worked in Santa Monica I tried the bus a few times work at 8am leave at 5;30 to be on times half the time...Americans are not pissed yet because they still believe the evening news is fact.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,906,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Additional energy resources from what exactly?

In the mean time what do you propose for joe public to preserve his resources??
Nuclear power. Oil off the coast. Oil in Alaska. Natural gas. Coal, where appropriate. The US needs to figure out what we have and figure out how to cultivate it in the safest and cleanest manner possible. But, no one wants to hear anything about it if they live within 1000 miles.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 PM

236 posts, read 1,142,216 times
I'll sign that petition!

It's only a matter of time before environmentally friendly cars are widespread and affordable for all... in the meantime, is it less of a "sin" against our environment to drill for oil in Alaska than it is in Saudi Arabia? It doesn't make sense to pay so much for oil on the other side of the world when we have loads of it in our own backyard.

I don't see how such an initiative will make it past this congress that we have now or the one we will likely have in November.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Lower demand will NOT be more fruitful. Foreign energy costs are not solely based on US consumption. Energy requirements by China and India will drive up energy prices far more than any offset from reduced US demand. Until we eliminate the NIMBY mentality, we'll always be defendant on foreign energy sources. I don't want to destroy the environment anymore than the next guy, but we have to start looking for additional energy sources in our own backyard. And we need to do it with minimal impact to the environment.

REALLY???...

And the highlighted stuff below is your answer??

LMAO.... Such fallacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Nuclear power. Oil off the coast. Oil in Alaska. Natural gas. Coal, where appropriate. The US needs to figure out what we have and figure out how to cultivate it in the safest and cleanest manner possible. But, no one wants to hear anything about it if they live within 1000 miles.

Coal, oil, nuclear is hardly clean nor safe. Wouldnt you say??

Hows about Solar, wind, hydro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles