Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 07:20 AM

7 posts, read 7,284 times

Advertisements

Hi I’m moving from the U.K to Los Angeles to take a job in Playa Vista.

I’m looking commute 2-3 days a week but want to live in a diverse, safe metropolitan neighbourhood with other young professionals in their 30s.

Here is my criteria:
Close to the Arts (museums, theatres, filmmaking & music)
Not too far from the beach and outdoor activities (sports)
Strong Black and Afro-Latino Culture (important)
LGBTQ+ friendly and very liberal
Great food and nightlife focused on the arts (not partying)
Opportunity to make friends
Less than 45 mins commute to Playa Vista
$2500+ per month rent
Not too far from other British expats (optional)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 07:25 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
How large of an apartment do you need for $2500?

FWIW, Santa Monica has a "large" British expat community, and likely checks the rest of your boxes (except rent, maybe).

Old 09-16-2022, 12:01 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmetoots View Post

I’m looking commute 2-3 days a week but want to live in a diverse, safe metropolitan neighbourhood with other young professionals in their 30s.

Here is my criteria:
Close to the Arts (museums, theatres, filmmaking & music)
Not too far from the beach and outdoor activities (sports)
Strong Black and Afro-Latino Culture (important)
LGBTQ+ friendly and very liberal
Great food and nightlife focused on the arts (not partying)
Opportunity to make friends
Less than 45 mins commute to Playa Vista
$2500+ per month rent
Not too far from other British expats (optional)
I recommend that you rank those things, because you're going to need to make some compromises.

Cheerio.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:45 PM

28 posts, read 49,554 times
Check out these areas:

West Adams, Baldwin Hills, Village Green, Crenshaw, Leimert Park (getting a bit far out).

For example, there is a 50,000+ square foot film studio coming to this area called The Stocker Street Creative that is for black led projects. To find it on the map, look up the streets: Stocker St. and Don Felipe Drive. The studio will extend all the way to Stocker St. and Santa Rosalia drive.

"Destination Crenshaw" is coming as well, which will is on Crenshaw Blvd. spanning from 46th st to Slauson, 1.3 miles highly focused on black artistry.

Then you got the Leimert Park Art Walk https://www.facebook.com/leimertparkartwalk/

And "Taste of Soul" a giant street fair centered around food in October. on Coliseum street, if I'm not mistaken

You are also closer to LACMA than you are from Santa Monica, and LACMA is a must for the free jazz concerts every week during concert season.

You can find and see a lot of stuff that much different from West LA in this general area, though not sure about commute to playa vista.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:20 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmetoots View Post
Must be a pretty big company if they are hiring you all the way from the U.K. even though there are LOTS of talent here.

This huge company, are they offering relocation assistance in terms of either signing bonus, relocation bonus, house hunting trips? What area did they recommend for you to consider housing?

Why not just move into one of those huge complexes in Playa Vista off of Jefferson and Lincoln? You are close to work (if you really are going to be reloing and working here), close to the beach (Marina Del Rey and Venice) and close to popular A.A. frequented shopping at Westfield Culver City.

Old 09-16-2022, 07:41 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Crenshaw/Leimert checks the most boxes.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:07 PM

295 posts, read 245,782 times
Probably the area around the Westfield Culver City mall. Also, going east from the mall on Slauson Avenue, there are other communities. Fox Hills, Ladera Heights, Windsor Hills, View Park.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
How large of an apartment do you need for $2500?

FWIW, Santa Monica has a "large" British expat community, and likely checks the rest of your boxes (except rent, maybe).
That’s very good to know. I just need a one bedroom apartment with a balcony and maybe a pool. Nothing fancy just something comfortable. I really like the look of east central L.A. It seems to have a Shoreditch feel. Is that doable or no?

Old 09-17-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I recommend that you rank those things, because you're going to need to make some compromises.

Cheerio.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmilton View Post
Check out these areas:

West Adams, Baldwin Hills, Village Green, Crenshaw, Leimert Park (getting a bit far out).

For example, there is a 50,000+ square foot film studio coming to this area called The Stocker Street Creative that is for black led projects. To find it on the map, look up the streets: Stocker St. and Don Felipe Drive. The studio will extend all the way to Stocker St. and Santa Rosalia drive.

"Destination Crenshaw" is coming as well, which will is on Crenshaw Blvd. spanning from 46th st to Slauson, 1.3 miles highly focused on black artistry.

Then you got the Leimert Park Art Walk https://www.facebook.com/leimertparkartwalk/

And "Taste of Soul" a giant street fair centered around food in October. on Coliseum street, if I'm not mistaken

You are also closer to LACMA than you are from Santa Monica, and LACMA is a must for the free jazz concerts every week during concert season.

You can find and see a lot of stuff that much different from West LA in this general area, though not sure about commute to playa vista.
This is an amazing recommendation. What’s the safety of the area like? If I recall correctly Crenshaw wasn’t that safe in the 90s/00s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles