Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:37 PM

4 posts, read 20,209 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I are in our early thirties and would like a nice but still enjoyable place to live. At first we looked at Marina Del Rey but the places are so huge and impersonal. What is Playa Vista REALLY like? Safety issues? The agents wouldn't even answer our safety questions straight on. But mostly, we would LOVE to live in Manhattan Beach. We would like to find a 2 bedroom place for under 2700 if possible. Do you think we could find this? OR should we stick with MDR, PV? Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 10:30 PM

4 posts, read 20,209 times
oOOps meant to really highlight my QUESTION --> Is Playa Vista a nice place to live? If you had to rank Marina Del Rey, Playa Vista, Playa Del Rey, and Manhattan Beach (keeping in mind the 2500/month rent approx.), which order would you put it in? thank you

Old 10-07-2007, 01:46 AM

83 posts, read 220,941 times
2 bedrooms is a bit small for Manhattan Beach. I'd look elsewhere.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:06 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
playa vista is one massive planned community. all the locals hate it. it is a fun little city inside a city with movie theaters, restaurants, a retirement home, and a couple of office buildings, but its built on a huge methane gas pump underground. before that was built, methane used to rise up with no problem, along with other gases. but now, the buildings are holding it in and the buildings, along with the surrounding area, could possibly explode. i'm sure they don't tell people that when asking about buying a place.

i would rather live in marina del rey if i were you. there are more shopping areas and you will get more space for your money. also, MB has extremely bad traffic, while MDR only has traffic along Lincoln Blvd. you can live a lot closer to the beach by going with MDR also.

this would be my favorite place since it's within walking distance of two movie theaters, a couple of grocery stores, and several different kinds of restaurants. also, it's about 1-2 miles to the beach and there is a bike path that goes to the Venice Beach Pier and is where the beginning of the Venice Beach Boardwalk is.
Marina Pointe in Marina del Rey, CA

here is a search of apt. there.
Rent.com: Search Results

Old 10-07-2007, 03:34 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kali2004 View Post
My spouse and I are in our early thirties and would like a nice but still enjoyable place to live. At first we looked at Marina Del Rey but the places are so huge and impersonal. What is Playa Vista REALLY like? Safety issues? The agents wouldn't even answer our safety questions straight on. But mostly, we would LOVE to live in Manhattan Beach. We would like to find a 2 bedroom place for under 2700 if possible. Do you think we could find this? OR should we stick with MDR, PV? Thank you!!!!
You only live once. Manhattan Beach.

Playa Vista is a nice new development. Tailored to to meet the needs of
X and Y. A results of scientific research, to provide quality housing in a dense enviroment. Tree lined streets within walking distance of Home depot.
All made possible by the developers who would not live there. Guess where they live.....Ocean Front, Newport, Malibu etc.

Take manhattan beach, sand district, a smaller unit, and the beautiful outdoors at your doorstep. I just went to El Porto this Morning and returned for an evening session. It was great.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:57 AM

1,072 posts, read 845,235 times
Well, you've got your choice of disaster-related documents to base your choice for beach living:

Manhattan ,could, I suppose in 50 years , be "underwater" beach living if you listen to Al Gore.

Playa Vista, could , sink you into the ground with liquafaction (the first geologists predictions if housing was built there)
or you could POW !
right to the moon with a methane bomb under your pillow.

Regardless, the developers get their $$$$ , so, if you are a futurist I would choose Westchester , a bit East of Sepulveda , which in either case would get you beachfront property, eventually

I drove past that Playa Vista yesterday ...so sad.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:06 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,995 times
I lived in the South Bay all my life. Taking into consideration location, safety, etc. below is my recommendations. Others may not agree, but that's OK, we all have our own preferences.

This would be the areas I would look into:

Manhattan Beach
El Segundo
Hermosa Beach
Redondo Beach (North & South)
Torrance (West & South), not (North or East)

I would not look into these areas:

Mar Vista
Marina Del Rey
Palos Verdes
Playa Del Rey
Playa Vista
Santa Monica
Venice

You can check out southbayrentals.com under a guest search to see what is currently available in your price range. Or westsiderentals.com.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:09 AM

124 posts, read 734,137 times
My Rankings:

1.Manhattan Beach (Best city in LA County)
2. Playa Vista/Playa Del Rey
3. Traffic Jammed Marina

Old 10-07-2007, 09:09 AM

200 posts, read 915,138 times
I lived in Marina Del Rey for a while and liked it a lot. It is close to Venice Bch; close to Santa Monica; nice restaurants. I have 2 young children & found it to be very safe...there were quiet a few 'characters' around, but it made our walks interesting.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:20 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I lived in the South Bay all my life. Taking into consideration location, safety, etc. below is my recommendations. Others may not agree, but that's OK, we all have our own preferences.

This would be the areas I would look into:

Manhattan Beach
El Segundo
Hermosa Beach
Redondo Beach (North & South)
Torrance (West & South), not (North or East)

I would not look into these areas:

Mar Vista
Marina Del Rey
Palos Verdes
Playa Del Rey
Playa Vista
Santa Monica
Venice

You can check out southbayrentals.com under a guest search to see what is currently available in your price range. Or westsiderentals.com.
why are you so against west LA and so for south bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles