Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2020, 01:17 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Are local restaurants required to report to the county when an employees tests positive for COVID-19?
Apparently they need to do so if there are 3 employees who test positive at a restaurant. I wonder why it's 3 and not one.

In the event that the owner, manager, or operator knows of three (3) or more cases of COVID-19 within the workplace within a span of 14 days the employer must report this outbreak to the Department of Public Health at...

Protocol for Restaurants Opening for On-Site Dining: Appendix I:
http://www.ph.lacounty.gov/media/Cor...estaurants.pdf

Old 06-28-2020, 01:57 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Apparently they need to do so if there are 3 employees who test positive at a restaurant. I wonder why it's 3 and not one.

In the event that the owner, manager, or operator knows of three (3) or more cases of COVID-19 within the workplace within a span of 14 days the employer must report this outbreak to the Department of Public Health at...

Protocol for Restaurants Opening for On-Site Dining: Appendix I:
http://www.ph.lacounty.gov/media/Cor...estaurants.pdf
That's better than no requirement, but I wonder the same. I guess the penalty for not reporting is a citation or closure. It doesn't even state that the report must be made quickly. The local government just isn't being strict enough.

Do you know how to contact a reporter at ABC 7 to pass the subject along to the Mayor when he takes questions this week? Edit: it dawned on me that his news briefings never take questions submitted by members of the public

Last edited by goodheathen; 06-28-2020 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
The local government just isn't being strict enough.
It looks as if Newsom is cracking down now on bars and nightclubs.

Citing the rapid pace of coronavirus spread in some parts of California, Gov. Gavin Newsom on Sunday ordered seven counties including Los Angeles immediately to close any bars and nightspots that are open and recommended eight other counties take action on their own to close those businesses.

The decision, a sign of growing concern about new COVID-19 cases, was announced in a statement issued by the governor’s state public health director, Dr. Sonia Angell. Bars in seven counties are immediately affected by the state order: Los Angeles, Fresno, Kern, San Joaquin, Tulare, Kings and Imperial.

Eight other counties have been asked by state officials to issue local health orders closing bars: Contra Costa, Santa Clara, Sacramento, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, Santa Barbara and Stanislaus

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...navirus-spread

Old 06-28-2020, 03:55 PM

That obviously needed to be done, and I'm happy he stepped up on a weekend.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:57 PM

"Meanwhile in my county (Marin). Hispanics (a combo of Mexicans, Central American and many illegals and citizen children of illegals) account for 16% of the population and 75% of the cases. In the past 45 days 95% of the cases. Most are crowded in an area called the Canal District. Simple. Do you really want to make an impact solving the problem? Quarantine the entire district. Geographically it would be easy to do. But politically incorrect so the rest of the county suffers with lockdowns, restrictions, suffering and economic catastrophe. Nice, huh. Thanks for paying attention Gavin."
That's a comment someone posted in response to an article about the closure of bars.

East Los Angeles now leading by a lot
https://www.latimes.com/projects/cal...king-outbreak/

Old 06-29-2020, 04:12 PM

Los Angeles County confirmed 22 additional coronavirus-related deaths and 2,903 new COVID-19 cases Monday, the largest single-day number of new infections the county has reported since the pandemic hit the U.S.

The daily tally brings the total number of coronavirus cases in L.A. County to more than 100,000.

The alarming spike in cases is not just the result of increased testing, county Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said. The surge is proof that community transmission has “definitively” increased, with the rate of those testing positive for infection nearing 9%. Officials are now warning that 1 in 140 residents are likely unknowingly infected with virus, a huge increase over last week’s projection of 1 in 400.

In addition, health officials revealed that on June 20 — after Los Angeles County gave the green light for bars, breweries, wineries and similar businesses to reopen — more than 500,000 people visited the county’s newly reopened nightlife spots.

Officials said that 49% of bars and 33% of restaurants in the county were not adhering to social distancing protocols in the last week. Additionally, inspectors found that workers at 54% of bars and 44% of restaurants were not wearing face masks or shields.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...spike-in-cases

Old 06-29-2020, 05:39 PM

This is both terrible and not surprising. Almost nobody listens to the wimpy mayor. Newsom might be the one who makes LA halt indoor dining. After that, gyms? And the beach before July 4th? Private mixed-household gatherings is up to the mayor, and I doubt he's willing to do the necessary punishing of people who flout that. I'd fine homeowners large amounts for hosting big gatherings, and yes the government can legally limit capacity in a private property, though I presume a change first has to be made to building codes. I'd also implement a policy that anyone with a known, major exposure who won't get tested will be court-ordered to stay home. Lastly, more medical-grade masks required of public-facing employees, please.

Last edited by goodheathen; 06-29-2020 at 05:54 PM..

Old 06-29-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Newsom might be the one who makes LA halt indoor dining. After that, gyms? And the beach before July 4th?
It looks as if it's beaches for the 4th of July weekend (which starts Friday).

L.A. County beaches will close Fourth of July weekend after coronavirus spike:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...onavirus-spike

Old 06-29-2020, 06:19 PM

Yeah.

I think the county should be locked down on Thursday through the weekend, mostly to prevent spread at gatherings. If the numbers are fairly stable through the weekend, let some of the non-essential businesses open on Monday. (I guess about 10% of businesses were going to close for the holiday weekend anyway.)

It does not sound like Garcetti will do that, but he is talking about taking away business licenses for non-compliance and he stated that mixed-household gatherings are not allowed.

Last edited by goodheathen; 06-29-2020 at 06:36 PM..

Old 06-29-2020, 07:55 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Do restaurants in LA have sit down inside eating? I haven't seen any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles