Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 08:53 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,953 times

Advertisements

Like if someone was moving to an apartment or condo, how much would it cost?

Venice seems like a nice area, although there are some struggling areas like Oakwood. Hopefully, the problem would be gone in the next 10 years. But Venice is in the far west/southwest of Los Angeles. I love the far west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 10:07 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Have you tried looking on Craig's List? Or even just Googling apartments in Venice? C'mon now, we can't do all the work for you!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Have you tried looking on Craig's List? Or even just Googling apartments in Venice? C'mon now, we can't do all the work for you!
There's too much on Craig's List, I don't know where to go.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:59 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
Venice's area code is 90291, for those calculations online. We don't know your budget. I lived there for 12 years back when modest salaries could buy a small house there. Be street savvy (try the crime maps of the lapd site) and enjoy all of it with the exception of Oakwood.

Oakwood is the most contradictory enclave in L.A., viewed by locals as the rare slum by the sea, and despite the occasional and well-fortified trendies, quite resistant to gentrification for the last 95 years. So don't count on it changing demonstrably at any other than a glacial pace.

An aside: In celebration of Venice and to remember the late Charlton Heston, I watched "Touch of Evil" the other night, with director Orson Welles' fabulous, cinema-historic opening shot of an uncut, 4-minute travelling panning shot of Venice in the late 1950's, sinewing in and out of the then extant, entire collonaded arcade on Pacific. Wowza!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:18 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
When I lived in Venice last years we were paying $2400 for a two bed/one bath. We were 1/2 from the beach. If your "safe" threshold is 80%, Venice will work for you. As far as day-to-day necessities as concerned (i.e. groceries, etc.), everything is on Lincoln Blvd. So the further you are from Lincoln, the further you are from amenities.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:55 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
I have a friend who lives in the oakwood area and although its mostly run down, I've never had any issues with safety. I find myself riding my beach cruiser through the area in the wee hours of the morning every now and then and have never once had an issue. I live just up the street from him in Ocean Park and they are two different worlds. Also, once you get south of Abbott Kinney, Venice changes drastically for the better, especially as you get closer to the canals. I'm sure you would be fine there, its just very expensive. I recently saw a 700sf unit going for $2200. You can find others for closer to $1600 or $1700, but those will either be in the oakwood area or east of lincoln. Before you decide on Venice, make sure you check it out first, both during the day and at night. It is a fun place with a great central location to coastal LA, but it still has gangs, crack heads and drug dealers wandering the streets.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Venice's area code is 90291, for those calculations online. We don't know your budget. I lived there for 12 years back when modest salaries could buy a small house there. Be street savvy (try the crime maps of the lapd site) and enjoy all of it with the exception of Oakwood.

Oakwood is the most contradictory enclave in L.A., viewed by locals as the rare slum by the sea, and despite the occasional and well-fortified trendies, quite resistant to gentrification for the last 95 years. So don't count on it changing demonstrably at any other than a glacial pace.

An aside: In celebration of Venice and to remember the late Charlton Heston, I watched "Touch of Evil" the other night, with director Orson Welles' fabulous, cinema-historic opening shot of an uncut, 4-minute travelling panning shot of Venice in the late 1950's, sinewing in and out of the then extant, entire collonaded arcade on Pacific. Wowza!
Well since I'll be moving to my future career, I might move there maybe in the next two years. I can hope the section will be 95% safe by then.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:01 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,634 times
How do you define "percent safe"?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:21 PM

422 posts, read 1,819,086 times
80% safe? If you don't get mugged, it's 100% safe; if you do, it's 100% unsafe.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 21,991 times
i have lived here all my life (in l.a.) and have heard things about everywhere. its as safe as you make it. you cant be foolish. no place is perfect, look at that upscale place in fla. the girls that beat that other girl. you have to be safe. it a wonderful fast paced , exciting and wonderous place. watch out at night, and be smart you will love it. great experience.

Last edited by bkbonnieking; 04-09-2008 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: spell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles