Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:57 AM

21 posts, read 68,767 times

Advertisements

After much flip-flopping, I've finally settled on an apartment in Glendale. I really, really appreciate the feedback from everyone on this board! The schools make it worth the drive for me, as my son is more important than a couple of hours in traffic. Additionally, I will only be in Santa Monica for a few months, and then I'll be moved yet again closer to Glendale, so the horrible commute won't last forever.

I've tried mapping out a rail and bus route on the Metro websites, but I'm not familiar enough with California to be able to find the right route. Can anyone here tell me what would be the fastest, most reliable way to get from Glendale to Santa Monica? Specifically I need to get to W Pico and Overland.

I'll be living 20 miles from my job initially. I plan to try public transportation for one month, then use my car for one month and see what is the most cost effective. I don't mind spending a long time in transit, and the traffic doesn't scare me (I live in Houston right now - UGH).

Thanks again for all the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 09:20 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
I'm not sure what part of Glendale you'll be coming from, but if you can hop on the 780 rapid bus somewhere in Glendale, this will bring you into LA. Take this bus to Pico where you will hop on the Big Blue Bus line 7 or Super 7. Line 7 will drop you off at Overland and the Super 7 will drop you off at Westwood which is just a short walk from Overland. Check metro.net | Transit Services and Information for Los Angeles County to get more info.

Also, so you know, the Pico/Overland location of your job is not in Santa Monica. I'm not quite sure of the exact neighborhood name, but it's actually in the city of LA (probably West LA neighborhood). This actually is really beneficial to you because those extra 5 miles or so to Santa Monica can be pretty awful.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:24 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
I hope you have a lot to do during your commute. It's will take you a minimum of 2 1/2 - 3 hours to get from Glendale to Pico and Overland.

To clarify the directions you were given, from Glendale you can take the 92,93 or 94 into downtown to Broadway. You want to get off anywhere south of 1st. Then take the 30 or 31 all the way to the MTA station at Pico and Rimpau. Then take the 7 or super 7 to Pico and Overland. If you want to take the rail, you would have to start in Pasadena. I don't know how close you are to Old Town Pasadena, but you could take the Gold Line to the Red Line exit Civic Center and walk to Broadway and take the 30 or 31. I'm not 100% on the number maybe 330, but there is a limited (supposedly faster) line on Pico.

btw, you'll know you're at Pico and Overland when you see the Westside Pavillion it's shortly after Twentieth Century Fox.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:30 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
Also, check to see if your company will reimburse you for your bus pass. I don't drive my car to work, so my company also offers me an extra amount every month for not using a parking spot at my building. Your firm may offer both or just one, but it could certainly save you a few dollars.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 AM

21 posts, read 68,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Also, check to see if your company will reimburse you for your bus pass. I don't drive my car to work, so my company also offers me an extra amount every month for not using a parking spot at my building. Your firm may offer both or just one, but it could certainly save you a few dollars.
That is a GREAT idea; one I hadn't considered. They pay for parking 100%, so I'll definitely check and see if they'll consider giving me that stipend toward bus fare. THANKS!

Old 03-26-2008, 12:25 PM

If you insist on going through with the three hour (one way) commute, know that you are dealing with two different bus sytems and will need a regional pass. It's $71 per month.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:30 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
definitely go to metro.net. the estimation for your trip would be

Ride Metro Bus 780 ( WASHINGTON/FAIRFAX) heading west
To: FAIRFAX/PICO(SW corner) Ar: 03:41PM
Pay $1.25 + $0.30 for Transfer., Monthly Pass: $62.00, (EZ Pass accepted)
Ride Santa Monica 7 (SANTA MONICA) heading west
To: W PICO BL/OVERLAND AV(NE corner) Ar: 04:04PM
Use Transfer or Media , (EZ Pass accepted)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ending at PICO BLVD/OVERLAND AV
Total cash fare = $1.55
Trip time is about 1 hour and 22 minutes.
Trip distance is about 15.68 miles.
*Driving cost: is about $8.81 (based on AAA's formula at 56.2 cents/mile)

check this out, you might want to alternate week by week to check it out. two weeks bus, then two weeks car. gauge your time and gas.
as for the train forget it. makes no sense. and really commuting from GLNDL into the west side is not pretty regardless of mode of trans.
good luck.
also my work place offers us the option of a parking pass, or a monthly buss pass. most places that offer free parking do so for public trans. look into it and welcome to LA

Old 03-26-2008, 05:44 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times
The Rail is being built to connect to Santa Monica right? When is that supposed to be finished?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:46 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,697 times
Don't try to make it somewhere on time, as you are at the mercy of the bus drivers (some really ghetto ones too).

And rail? I remind you, this is LA.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Don't try to make it somewhere on time, as you are at the mercy of the bus drivers (some really ghetto ones too).

And rail? I remind you, this is LA.
First, before taking the route as gospel, please note the times that are listed are traveling the opposite (time and direction). You are going to have to try to contact MTA for directions relevant to you and your situation.

When please heed King of the Hill's warning: MTA buses are notoriously late, get a route for at least half an hour before you need to be there, to get there on time.
The only saving grace in this is that your second bus will be a Santa Monica Big Blue Bus. SMBBB is a very good company. Their buses are clean and more importantly, RELIABLE. The Pico bus runs every 5 min in the morning. So when MTA is late, and it will be, there won't be a long wait for the Blue Bus.

Though I do think it's cool that MTA rerouted the 780 to go to the Washington/Fairfax hub. I wonder what part of the original 180/181 line was cut to make that happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles