Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2019, 06:59 PM

8,457 posts, read 6,567,182 times

Advertisements

There is a signature gathering going on now to recall Garcetti because of all the homeless while he is mayor. Liberal compassionate policies don't work obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 07:09 PM

26,959 posts, read 27,229,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
There is a signature gathering going on now to recall Garcetti because of all the homeless while he is mayor. Liberal compassionate policies don't work obviously.
Oh, wait....I thought you'd already blamed Gov. Newsom for the homelessness crisis. In case you haven't noticed, homelessness crosses political lines, and has been escalating before many of these people were ever in office.

The Homelessness Blame Game:
https://www.urban.org/urban-wire/hom...ess-blame-game

Old 11-06-2019, 07:14 AM

26,959 posts, read 27,229,118 times
"The news came in September: Long Beach Residential, a 49-bed home for adults who are mentally ill, was being sold. The residents of the converted apartment building, some of whom had lived there for decades, would have 60 days to move.

It’s a scenario that is becoming increasingly common across California, brought on by a combination of an inadequate state funding system and California’s red hot real estate market."

These homes keep L.A.’s most vulnerable from becoming homeless. Now they’re closing:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...mental-illness

Old 11-06-2019, 07:20 AM

21,906 posts, read 16,642,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"The news came in September: Long Beach Residential, a 49-bed home for adults who are mentally ill, was being sold. The residents of the converted apartment building, some of whom had lived there for decades, would have 60 days to move.

It’s a scenario that is becoming increasingly common across California, brought on by a combination of an inadequate state funding system and California’s red hot real estate market."

These homes keep L.A.’s most vulnerable from becoming homeless. Now they’re closing:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...mental-illness
Ouch ... again and again.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:51 AM

330 posts, read 181,396 times
I think it's ironic how liberals clamor for diversity and claim to be compassionate, yet in cities like Seattle, San Francisco and Portland (liberal meccas), they priced out most African-Americans and the mentally unstable.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:34 AM

8,457 posts, read 6,567,182 times
Las Vegas bans camping in public places. I just saw on TV news.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:56 PM

76 posts, read 93,008 times
I don't live in CA but I've always wanted too. Is it common out there for people on SSI and SSDI programs (social security) to be homeless, or can they receive more help with housing?

Old 11-08-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist83 View Post
I don't live in CA but I've always wanted too. Is it common out there for people on SSI and SSDI programs (social security) to be homeless, or can they receive more help with housing?
Yes.

Totally.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:42 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,660,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist83 View Post
I don't think it's common for them to be homeless, mainly because a fair number of people on those programs are able to live with friends or family but there are certainly far too many who are homeless and while there are some resources like subsidized housing there are usually long waiting lists.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think it's common for them to be homeless, mainly because a fair number of people on those programs are able to live with friends or family but there are certainly far too many who are homeless and while there are some resources like subsidized housing there are usually long waiting lists.
I should have been more specific in my answer: yes, it would be common for a person surviving on Social Security elsewhere in the nation to become homeless trying to survive on it after moving here without a support network (i.e. family to take them in).

And, by “here”, California, I mean coastal California south of Humboldt County. If you wanted to live on SS in Crescent City, or south in Slab City, or similar rural areas along and east of I-5, you could probably find subsidized housing.

But the inquiry above was placed in the LA homeless thread, so assuming the inquiry was targeting southern, coastal communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles