Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 08:37 AM

21,906 posts, read 16,649,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Actually, they do. If they believed an angry mob of people would chase them down and engage in unpleasant acts towards them, they'd think twice about this sort of behavior. But as it is, they know the consequences are minimal and therefore there's no palpable deterrent for their anti-social behavior. That's psychology 101.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
An angry mob? So vigilante justice is your new plan huh? Do you understand that chasing a person down after they are suspected of having committed a crime makes you a criminal too? Civilians can act to defend themselves, not to dole out "justice"

You're not dumb, but when you post something like that I sit here and read it 3 or 4 times to make sure that I understand what you are saying and quite frankly unless you say stuff like that to get high 5's from your buddies here, it's appalling that you would suggest what you did.
Hmmm. To Exitus’ credit he has more creative plans than just mob justice. He also advocates pushing them out of helicopters, abandoning them at sea, and herding them with electric cattle prods ... all suggestions he has previously posted, archived forever in this thread.

So, if you are wondering if he “understands what he is saying”, seems likely he does indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 03:35 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,843,516 times
Quote:
An angry mob? So vigilante justice is your new plan huh? Do you understand that chasing a person down after they are suspected of having committed a crime makes you a criminal too? Civilians can act to defend themselves, not to dole out "justice"

You're not dumb, but when you post something like that I sit here and read it 3 or 4 times to make sure that I understand what you are saying and quite frankly unless you say stuff like that to get high 5's from your buddies here, it's appalling that you would suggest what you did.
You're attributing things to me that I never wrote. I do not condone "street justice". What I am stating is that, there was not long ago in this country, an intrinsic fear of behaving in a criminal manner for fear of how bystanders would react. That fear is now gone for the most part, due to a variety of reasons. I am stating no more than that.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:51 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,668,258 times
Quote:
You're attributing things to me that I never wrote. I do not condone "street justice". What I am stating is that, there was not long ago in this country, an intrinsic fear of behaving in a criminal manner for fear of how bystanders would react. That fear is now gone for the most part, due to a variety of reasons. I am stating no more than that.
When was that? I'm old as dirt and that never happened when I was alive. Maybe Dodge City in 1870?

Old 02-07-2019, 07:38 PM

Here’s how it’s done, for those actually interested in getting the chronic homeless off the streets affordably. San Diego Housing First Program has just announced it has achieved a 3-year goal of creating 3,000 housing opportunities ... for which it spent $79.8 million dollars. That averages out to $26,666 per unit.

https://www.sdhc.org/news-release/hf...opportunities/

Old 02-08-2019, 11:27 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,629,519 times
Wow , one citycouncilman that is finally honest about the homeless situation in this city

How refreshing !

——
But Councilman Joe Buscaino drew his own connection between a 2016 court injunction, which limited how and when the city can seize and destroy the property of homeless people on skid row, and the City Hall rat infestation and recent cases of flea-borne typhus.
“Rats are a symbol of this injunction,” said Buscaino, who represents Watts and the harbor area. “They are emblematic of how we lost control of the homeless, trash and encampment issue. And if we can’t protect the greatest symbol of our own democracy, our own City Hall, if we can’t protect our own staff from this medieval disease, then we should all pack up and go home.”

Branimir Kvartuc, a Buscaino spokesman, said his boss wants L.A. to challenge the injunction. Buscaino later added in a written statement that city lawyers have advised city workers to interpret the injunction “very conservatively, which is resulting in giant mountains of trash.”

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...208-story.html

Old 02-09-2019, 06:49 AM

26,959 posts, read 27,236,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Wow , one citycouncilman that is finally honest about the homeless situation in this city

How refreshing !

Yet from the next paragraphs in your article, above:

Pete White, executive director of the Los Angeles Community Action Network, countered that the injunction has “nothing to do with a typhus outbreak — nor does it have anything to do with rats." Under the injunction, the city can still destroy property that poses an immediate threat to public health.

The injunction "in no way prohibits a robust rat extermination plan," he said.

White, whose organization advocates for poor people on skid row, said his group has repeatedly called for more trash pickup and other measures to deal with rodents. City leaders should take those steps instead of trying to blame legal protections for skid row residents and their property, he said.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,239,721 times
Quote:
When was that? I'm old as dirt and that never happened when I was alive. Maybe Dodge City in 1870?
So you are saying that decades ago there was not a stigma associated with being justice-affected; that there was no embarrassment for any of it. If no, perhaps you were detached from reality.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 02-09-2019 at 06:12 PM..

Old 02-09-2019, 05:56 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,239,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

How refreshing !

——
But Councilman Joe Buscaino drew his own connection between a 2016 court injunction, which limited how and when the city can seize and destroy the property of homeless people on skid row, and the City Hall rat infestation and recent cases of flea-borne typhus.
“Rats are a symbol of this injunction,” said Buscaino, who represents Watts and the harbor area. “They are emblematic of how we lost control of the homeless, trash and encampment issue. And if we can’t protect the greatest symbol of our own democracy, our own City Hall, if we can’t protect our own staff from this medieval disease, then we should all pack up and go home.”

Branimir Kvartuc, a Buscaino spokesman, said his boss wants L.A. to challenge the injunction. Buscaino later added in a written statement that city lawyers have advised city workers to interpret the injunction “very conservatively, which is resulting in giant mountains of trash.”

Councilman Joe Buscaino is engaging in a demographic denigration of the unhoused, is failing to show humanity, is failing to look at scientific research conducted by intelligent people in the unhoused business that has been posted by extraordinarily well informed persons, and is failing to understand that typhus is a cakewalk and has nothing to do with the unhoused -- nothing, WHATSOEVER! [Insert Dean Scream here]

Old 02-09-2019, 06:03 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,668,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
So you are saying that decades ago there was not a stigma associated with being justice-affected; that there was no embarrassment of any of it. If no, perhaps you were detached from reality.
"justice affected"? WTH? This is the post of yours that I initially responded to, you've twisted it up a bit and changed the wording since you wrote it, but it is what it is:

Quote:
Actually, they do. If they believed an angry mob of people would chase them down and engage in unpleasant acts towards them, they'd think twice about this sort of behavior. But as it is, they know the consequences are minimal and therefore there's no palpable deterrent for their anti-social behavior. That's psychology 101
And I will repeat for your benefit, no I have never seen angry mobs chasing an offender down and engaging in unpleasant acts. You want to keep claiming that happened 'decades ago', well it didn't and if was widespread anywhere in the US I would have heard about it. Lynchings had pretty much stopped by the time I was born

And no, I am not detached from reality...nice try though

Old 02-09-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Councilman Joe Buscaino is engaging in a demographic denigration of the unhoused, is failing to show humanity, is failing to look at scientific research conducted by intelligent people in the unhoused business that has been posted by extraordinarily well informed persons, and is failing to understand that typhus is a cakewalk and has nothing to do with the unhoused -- nothing, WHATSOEVER! [Insert Dean Scream here]
Basically, yes. Except for the typhus being a cakewalk, of course.

... and no Dean Scream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles