Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2018, 11:17 PM

21,906 posts, read 16,649,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
They are everywhere. I know this because I live here.
Exitus. I just calculated.

Given that:

there are an estimated 16,000 chronic homeless living on the streets ...

About 2500 in the .4 square miles of skid row alone ...

There are maybe 2.6 homeless per square mile wandering about in LA county.

Since we know - by your own incessant recounting - that many many many live in group encampments ...

... uh, no. They’re not “everywhere”. Man.

I know this because it’s math ... and the same in San Diego, San Francisco, Honolulu, Portland, Seattle, ...

You can avoid them, bubba. I know you can do it. I have great faith in your resourcefulness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 11:26 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,236,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

Given that:

There are maybe 2.6 homeless per square mile in LA county.

Since we know - by your own incessant recounting - that many many many live in group encampments ...

I know this because it’s math ... and the same in San Diego, San Francisco, Honolulu, Portland, Seattle, ...

You can avoid them, bubba. I know you can do it. I have great faith in your resourcefulness.
Why don't you drive that old van to LA and check it out yourself instead of reading stats. They are everywhere... at off ramps, under underpasses, all over parks, at every liquid store and 7/11. Tents all over. Downtown, Venice, faiffax, Hollywood, out door shopping areas, the SM pier, you have no idea how bad it is. I've spent time in SD it's no comparison. And the aggression level is way higher in LA too.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Why don't you drive that old van to LA and check it out yourself instead of reading stats. They are everywhere... at off ramps, under underpasses, all over parks, at every liquid store and 7/11. Tents all over. Downtown, Venice, faiffax, Hollywood, out door shopping areas, the SM pier, you have no idea how bad it is. I've spent time in SD it's no comparison. And the aggression level is way higher in LA too.
Unfortunately, I do drive my old van through LA. And I see the homeless in areas such as Venice. I also know that math doesn’t lie. It is not possible for them to be everywhere ... especially when they are clustered as they tend to be.

I have described where I lived in San Francisco and in San Diego. It can be intense. And avoided. I am on the streets of these cities as much as you at least ... and almost certainly a hell of a lot more. And I experience none of what Exitus describes happening to him and you describe of your own experiences.

Zero.

Am I denying it happens? No. Just pointing out it is avoidable.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:14 AM

13,587 posts, read 15,843,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

Given that:

There are maybe 2.6 homeless per square mile wandering about in LA county.

They are everywhere, as stated, and I know this because I live here.

I'm tired and I just want to sip my merlot and watch the Downton Abbey Christmas special. Good night.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:51 AM

26,959 posts, read 27,236,188 times
Quote:
They are everywhere. I know this because I live here.
Exitus, I thought you lived in Brentwood; I didn't realize there were so many homeless there. And while I've been "hit up" (as you put it) for money from homeless people, I have never had a homeless person approach me aggressively. And I don't know anyone who has.

I remember stepping over sleeping homeless people on my way to work in downtown L.A. many years ago. There were fewer in the mid-Wilshire area back then.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
They are everywhere, as stated, and I know this because I live here.

I'm tired and I just want to sip my merlot and watch the Downton Abbey Christmas special. Good night.
You never know who might be embellishing, exaggerating, or even outright tall-tale-ing on the fora ... but math never lies.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:39 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,629,519 times
Another one ... donut shop owner had hot coffee thrown in her face by a homeless woman

I’ve been to this shop several times and the people working there are very hard working and nice people . A real shame .

https://abc7.com/video-canoga-park-s...-face/4864526/

Old 12-09-2018, 11:49 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,629,519 times
More likely she’ll receive a gift basket .. because “homelessness isn’t a crime “

“Cindy said she has a number of homeless customers and believes everybody should be treated equally, but after the experience she may be more cautious.

"This is kind of a hard situation to deal with when you feel compassion for people and it kind of backfires," she said.

The woman was able to get away, but if arrested she will likely face serious charges.”

Old 12-09-2018, 12:02 PM

Meanwhile, horrific crimes committed by housed persons continue all across LA county:

Quote:
Sexual Assault Suspect Arrested
Detectives from the Los Angeles Police Department's Robbery-Homicide Division (RHD), Special Assault Section (SAS), arrested 22-year-old Andres Pascual, a resident of the Los Angeles area, for Burglary and Rape in LAPD's Northeast Area.

On November 4, 2018, around 5:00 a.m., the victim was asleep in her apartment located in the 1800 block of Sunset Boulevard. The suspect entered her apartment building through the fire escape. Once inside, the suspect pried open the victim's bedroom window and sexually assaulted her as she slept. The suspect is unknown to the victim. The victim woke up and pushed him away. After the assault, the suspect exited through the front door. Sexual Assault Suspect Arrested NR18304dm - Los Angeles Police Department
Quote:
Armed Street Robbery Suspects Wanted
The two suspects exit their vehicle, approach and rob pedestrians of their valuables at gunpoint. One suspect is armed with a black revolver. The suspects also claim gang affiliation.

The suspects are a driving a white late model four-door Toyota Camry with paper plates, possibly with the word "GLENDALE".

Detectives have identified two males as persons of interest in these robberies. Armed Street Robbery Suspects WantedNR18305ti - Los Angeles Police Department
Quote:
Suspect Arrested for Assault with a Deadly Weapon Hate Crime Enhancement NR18303ml
Los Angeles: The Los Angeles Police Department's Major Crime Division detectives are releasing the arrestee information of the person responsible for an Assault with Deadly Weapon with a Vehicle which included a hate crime enhancement.

On November 23, 2018 at 9:35 p.m.,Mohamed Mohamed Abdi, was arrested for ADW with a Vehicle. He was booked on Saturday morning, November 24, 2018 at 3:50 a.m. and bail was set for $55,000.00. Abdi is a male, Black, 32 years old, black hair, brown eyes, 6 feet 2 inches tall and 180 pounds. Suspect Arrested for Assault with a Deadly Weapon Hate Crime Enhancement NR18303ml - Los Angeles Police Department
Quote:
Arrest in Double Homicide of Two Siblings

Los Angeles: The FBI and LAPD Fugitive Task Force has made an arrest in the double homicide of two siblings from Westchester.

On November 21, 2018 at about 9:45 a.m. FBI-LAPD Fugitive Task Force members arrested an unnamed 17year-old juvenile for the November 17, 2018 murders.

The victim's were found after a call of a structure fire in the 8600 block of Belford Avenue.

Both victims had suffered gunshot wounds.

The suspect was arrested in the 1900 block of 22nd Street in Los Angeles. Double Homicide in Westchester NR18295jl - Los Angeles Police Department
There are dozens and dozens and dozens of these reports coming out one after another these days. Be very afraid of housed persons!

Old 12-09-2018, 12:09 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,338,481 times
WOW that is horrific. It's a shame the society in CA does not demand that the government do something about these mentally ill homeless. They are a danger to society and you never know when they are going to snap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles