Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 04:25 PM

7,015 posts, read 4,981,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

So I ask you again -- do you have a solution in mind, CA4Now?
There are several solutions that would work. Thing is, they all have to be implemented pretty much at the same time and they all cost money.

1) Those who are mentally unstable need to be placed in institutions that can care for them.

2) Mandatory group homes for those who have drug and alcohol problems. These would be SROs with ideally a mentor or counselor to report to on a daily basis as a requisite to keeping their rooms.

3) Tiny homes that can be built like the earthquake shacks or Katrina homes for families with members who are working but can't afford the current rents (these people can pay a portion of rent).

4) Tiny tiny homes that consist of one room and cluster around a main building with garbage and kitchen facilities, showers, bathrooms, and an office for mentors and social workers keeping in daily contact with the residents.

5) A tent city with water, bathroom facilities, garbage pickup, and an office for social workers and mentors to keep in daily contact with the residents.

6) A parking lot with bathroom facilities, garbage pickup, and water for those in cars, vans, RVs, etc, and a central office for mentors and social workers to keep in daily or weekly contact with the residents. Possible electricity hookups for those who can afford it.

7) Youth hostels to take in the runaways and dumped kids with special emphasis on mentoring, education, vocational training, college, and jobs.

A centralized location for all services in one place in the city: social services, food stamps, housing, clothes closets for job interviews, job training opportunities, etc.

Bus lines that run between social services and the people who need them.

Grocery stores and food banks on the bus line.

Low cost health clinic on the bus line.

Computer access as needed so people can look for jobs and fill out job applications.

Some form of rent control in the city.

------------------------------

Not all the homeless are alike in their problems and they're homeless for different reasons. Throwing a blanket solution on them isn't going to work. Even if all the above could be done, it might not work for everyone either. But it would drastically lower the homeless population on the streets.

Everything is geared to get people from #3 to out in their own place and working. Some people who are homeless in tents and vehicles only need to get a place of their own or a better paying job. People who are addicted can stay indefinitely in the group home until they can transition out of them.

Those who are unable or unwilling to address their addiction problems go to #4. #4 is probably going to be a permanent type of housing with most of the hardcore and non-compliant homeless.

Anyone who can think of anything to add to this is welcome to do so.

Everyone should keep in mind that all this will cost money. Only one of these things will be done at any given time, so the effect will be like trying to herd cats into a pen with three fences down. So nothing will change and everyone will continue to complain.

But you wanted a solution. These are the solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 04:30 PM

21,901 posts, read 16,637,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I know I noticed that too . I always thought that mentality was strange as working people/families do live in these areas and commute to work .

The way some people make it sound it’s like we were suggesting inhabitable place .
Since these people seem to not even be from the SoCal area it’s possible they don’t even realize people live in places like San Bernardino or Lancaster .

If your goal is to House the highest number of people then it makes sense to do it in affordable areas .
City of L.A these days isnt that place with median home prices over $550,000 today.
No common sense .
You refer to the 3 contributors who have actually worked to support homeless solutions and relief ... and who most commonly expose your posts as lacking knowledge and constructive purpose ... and counterproductively spreading myths?

1. Lived in San Berdoo years back, so yeah, knows people live there
2. Lives in LA County now
3. Lives in San Diego ... with friends and relatives in LA

So, jm ... where do YOU live?

Old 09-16-2018, 04:34 PM

639 posts, read 1,080,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
There are several solutions that would work. Thing is, they all have to be implemented pretty much at the same time and they all cost money.

1) Those who are mentally unstable need to be placed in institutions that can care for them.

2) Mandatory group homes for those who have drug and alcohol problems. These would be SROs with ideally a mentor or counselor to report to on a daily basis as a requisite to keeping their rooms.

3) Tiny homes that can be built like the earthquake shacks or Katrina homes for families with members who are working but can't afford the current rents (these people can pay a portion of rent).

4) Tiny tiny homes that consist of one room and cluster around a main building with garbage and kitchen facilities, showers, bathrooms, and an office for mentors and social workers keeping in daily contact with the residents.

5) A tent city with water, bathroom facilities, garbage pickup, and an office for social workers and mentors to keep in daily contact with the residents.

6) A parking lot with bathroom facilities, garbage pickup, and water for those in cars, vans, RVs, etc, and a central office for mentors and social workers to keep in daily or weekly contact with the residents. Possible electricity hookups for those who can afford it.

7) Youth hostels to take in the runaways and dumped kids with special emphasis on mentoring, education, vocational training, college, and jobs.

A centralized location for all services in one place in the city: social services, food stamps, housing, clothes closets for job interviews, job training opportunities, etc.

Computer access as needed so people can look for jobs and fill out job applications.

#1 and #2 aren't possible, since the laws prevent people from being committed to institutions or drug treatment involuntarily unless they are proven to be a threat to themselves or others, and being an addict doesn't qualify.

The other options sound reasonable to me. I don't really know why #3 thru #6 have not yet been implemented to any significant degree. Probably a question of cost, effort, and finding a place to build the shantytowns. I have a feeling that even if such solutions do materialize more, it will be hard to keep up with the number of homeless people out there.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Not all the homeless are alike in their problems and they're homeless for different reasons. Throwing a blanket solution on them isn't going to work. Even if all the above could be done, it might not work for everyone either. But it would drastically lower the homeless population on the streets.

Everything is geared to get people from #3 to out in their own place and working. Some people who are homeless in tents and vehicles only need to get a place of their own or a better paying job. People who are addicted can stay indefinitely in the group home until they can transition out of them.

Those who are unable or unwilling to address their addiction problems go to #4. #4 is probably going to be a permanent type of housing with most of the hardcore and non-compliant homeless.

Anyone who can think of anything to add to this is welcome to do so.

Everyone should keep in mind that all this will cost money. Only one of these things will be done at any given time, so the effect will be like trying to herd cats into a pen with three fences down. So nothing will change and everyone will continue to complain.

But you wanted a solution. These are the solutions.
Excellent summary ...

Old 09-16-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
#1 and #2 aren't possible, since the laws prevent people from being committed to institutions or drug treatment involuntarily unless they are proven to be a threat to themselves or others, and being an addict doesn't qualify.

The other options sound reasonable to me. I don't really know why #3 thru #6 have not yet been implemented to any significant degree. Probably a question of cost, effort, and finding a place to build the shantytowns. I have a feeling that even if such solutions do materialize more, it will be hard to keep up with the number of homeless people out there.
Bold above is technically true, Genghis ... however, there are conservatorship options for severely mentally ill ... which conservatorships can work with courts and agencies to either institutionalize or place in supervised housing. Very few even severely mentally ill will turn away from a private safe-room if guided by professional care.

And almost no addicts will turn down a safe room with a lock either. So, while they can’t be forced, they can be accommodated just the same IF treatment is NOT a requirement. In other words: allow the addicts and alcoholics to use and drink themselves to death if they so choose ... at least they do so off the street and where they can be body bagged without calling the fire department. A fair number of addicts and drunks WILL turn eventually to treatment if not forced.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:38 PM

26,957 posts, read 27,222,932 times
Quote:

One of many good ideas. Scroll back (Sporty didn't feel like it, apparently) and look up posts in which both Mutt and I brought up the tiny pods that students in USC's School of Architecture have created. A good concept but apparently very difficult to get through all the city's red tape, and there's the hurdle of getting the units state certified, which costs over $100K. There's progress being made, though.

Homeless Studio – MADWORKSHOP

Old 09-16-2018, 10:17 PM

3,817 posts, read 4,740,204 times
Default Ventured into Skid Row By Accidant

I'm on vacation visiting LA area & I was near Skid Row. I wasn't sure where it started but GPS took me through a part of it and I realized this when I started to see tents.

Suddenly it went from cars on the road (driving) to hardly any at all to seeing people randomly walking in the street. I knew I was here.

I get to a certain intersection and I don't even think the stop lights were working & next thing I know I see a guy walking fast to me almost running and motioning for me to roll my window down. I quickly turned the opposite direction but as I left that intersection I see two guys on bikes riding right in the middle of the road towards me. I then got scared for a few seconds because what do I do if they literally come at me and force me to stop? They were also trying to wave me down.

Luckily I kept my speed and they rode away. As I got past them another guy walking yells "*******" to me and my passenger.

I kept going but only crap. I've seen videos of people driving through Skid Row and nobody comes out at them. I don't know if it was because I was in an SUV that was nice (Toyota nothing special),

I'm not going to lie. I got a little scared at first until I was out of there because if they had literally pulled in front of me I probably would've stopped and there was enough people around where who knows if they would rush at me.

I actually know somebody who does work down on skid row and I've given him money and things to pass out to help anyway I can. I've even thought about going out there to help but after this I don't want to be anywhere near it.

Is this common to see people aggressively go after drivers?

Old 09-16-2018, 10:27 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,838,237 times
I'm glad you're okay. I've never been to skid row so I'm not certain if your experience is normal, but I would not be surprised if it is. I'm truly sorry for your negative experience, but unfortunately this city has gone mad and the powers that be refuse to clean up this garbage, mostly due to the seemingless endless armies of attorneys waiting for any excuse to sue the city and steal our tax dollars in the name of "social justice".

BTW, there are people on this forum who will say otherwise, but they don't live here and they just like to troll this forum with their dissent, so simply disregard any further posts from people who claim what you experienced is anything short of absolutely disgusting.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:31 PM

3,817 posts, read 4,740,204 times
^^ thanks
I really try and avoid the highways while traveling around the city because it's so much stop/go and I'd prefer to just view the city. So I think that's part of the problem. I ignore the command to get on a certain freeway and it takes me to the next closest route.

Looking at google maps skid row is right by Union Station too and that is one place I'm thinking of meeting some friends. I'm sure I'll be okay but not going to l lie I wish it was a little bit further because I'm still not used to the area and if some how I miss a street I could end up right by there again. I'm going to have to literally study and make notes on which streets to avoid completely.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:36 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,176,474 times
I was in LA in March, and I too drove through Skid Row. It is very close to Little Tokyo, and the nice parts of DTLA. I did not feel like I was in danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles