Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 08:23 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,843,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Thank you !
You're very welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 08:13 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,626,141 times
OP Ed about homeless crime in L.A Times

--
I noticed a change in my neighborhood about a year and a half ago. It began to feel more dangerous, even during the day.

Scavengers regularly dig through my trash and dump what they can’t use. The remains bake in the sun. Sometimes the scavengers pass out on my lawn. In late July, a homeless man set fire to a trash can a block from my home. Flames engulfed the adjacent carport and two vehicles caught fire. One exploded.

A few weeks ago, I was awakened late on a Saturday night by gunfire. It sounded like six shots.

I decided to call the mayor’s office to describe what I’d witnessed in my neighborhood. Staffers disputed this cause and effect. And they assured me that the city was trying its best to get on top of the situation, with temporary housing and crisis shelters, among other initiatives.

Is it just me, or does Los Angeles feel a lot less safe these days?

Old 08-21-2018, 09:56 AM

21,906 posts, read 16,642,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
You're very welcome!
You guys are hilarious ...
Tip on congratulations:
Everyone on the forum gets “rep” points from various readers at times, right?
Some posters get tons and tons of them ... others, not so much.

It’s not a real good indicator when people get tons of “reps” other than they’ve got like-minded friends ... often they feed each other constantly in a circle of friendship. Which is of course nice. And, obviously, “like-minded” isn’t any indicator of quality of ideas / commentary shared: a nut job extremist will simply attract the other extremists to praise and support each other.

On the other hand, when someone gets very few “rep” points relative to the number of posts they make, it indicates that not only do they not cultivate lots of on-line friends, but they also lack much support casually.

Now then, note the specification above of “reps relative to # of posts”. As a moderate example, you, Exitus, are currently running close to even in terms of “rep” points tally relative to # of posts made. Now look at jm’s relative tally of “reps” to cumulative points.

Anyone who places as many posts as jm does is going to accumulate lots of points. As you compare jm’s points-to-reps with your, Exitus’, points-to-reps ratio you might scratch your head over why you are gushing over his total points, as jm runs at considerably less than 50%, while you, Exitus, run just slightly over 100%.

Have a nice day, both of you. And remember to rep each other at every opportunity!

Old 08-21-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
OP Ed about homeless crime in L.A Times

--
I noticed a change in my neighborhood about a year and a half ago. It began to feel more dangerous, even during the day.

Scavengers regularly dig through my trash and dump what they can’t use. The remains bake in the sun. Sometimes the scavengers pass out on my lawn. In late July, a homeless man set fire to a trash can a block from my home. Flames engulfed the adjacent carport and two vehicles caught fire. One exploded.

A few weeks ago, I was awakened late on a Saturday night by gunfire. It sounded like six shots.

I decided to call the mayor’s office to describe what I’d witnessed in my neighborhood. Staffers disputed this cause and effect. And they assured me that the city was trying its best to get on top of the situation, with temporary housing and crisis shelters, among other initiatives.

Is it just me, or does Los Angeles feel a lot less safe these days?

Great article. Thanks for posting it, jm1982 -- wish I could rep you for it.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Great article. Thanks for posting it, jm1982 -- wish I could rep you for it.
Yeah I was a bit surprised to see the article that is based in reality in the L.A Times but perhaps there has been a change with the new ownership .
If they had been honest all these years I wonder if Garcetti would be Mayor now .

Old 08-23-2018, 03:39 PM

Mayor of Santa Ana , previous a homeless advocate type has changed his tune .
Looks like more might come to L.A ...
——-
“Santa Ana should try to “harass” and “get tougher with” homeless people through law enforcement, which would push some to “move out of town and go harass another town,” Mayor Miguel Pulido said Tuesday.

“I believe we’re about to come up with a settlement,” Pulido said during the City Council’s regularly-scheduled meeting, referring to an ongoing federal civil rights lawsuit regarding homelessness.

“What I’m suggesting is that, maybe through the city attorney, the minute we have a settlement, we can have some type of an interim agreement with the court, so we can start enforcing our [anti-camping] laws again,” Pulido said.”

Pulido said some homeless people are “flat-out criminals” and “mean, mean people” who are “terrorizing our community.”

https://voiceofoc.org/2018/08/santa-...es-mayor-says/

Old 08-23-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Pulido said some homeless people are “flat-out criminals” and “mean, mean people” who are “terrorizing our community.”
I wholeheartedly agree with this. If they were all nice people, then i'd probably feel bad for them and not be so adamantly opposed to their living in my area. However, i've had so many negative experiences with them, too many to list in fact, that I really want all of them gone.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:03 PM

21,906 posts, read 16,642,660 times
Quote:
Mayor of Santa Ana , previous a homeless advocate type has changed his tune .
Looks like more might come to L.A ...
——-
“Santa Ana should try to “harass” and “get tougher with” homeless people through law enforcement, which would push some to “move out of town and go harass another town,” Mayor Miguel Pulido said Tuesday.

“I believe we’re about to come up with a settlement,” Pulido said during the City Council’s regularly-scheduled meeting, referring to an ongoing federal civil rights lawsuit regarding homelessness.

“What I’m suggesting is that, maybe through the city attorney, the minute we have a settlement, we can have some type of an interim agreement with the court, so we can start enforcing our [anti-camping] laws again,” Pulido said.”

https://voiceofoc.org/2018/08/santa-...es-mayor-says/
Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree with this. If they were all nice people, then i'd probably feel bad for them and not be so adamantly opposed to their living in my area. However, i've had so many negative experiences with them, too many to list in fact, that I really want all of them gone.
You guys are so funny. ”Pulido said some homeless people are “flat-out criminals” and “mean, mean people
That describes a significant percentage of the general population as well, of course. But aside from that, yeah? Kinda obvious that a lot of ex-cons would end up homeless. Especially in today’s internet age where everyone can be vetted on-line by landlords, so even if a person can afford rent in tight inventory markets, they still can’t qualify.

The question isn’t whether these problems are real ... question is: “what are you proposing be done to resolve them?”

How will you support clearing the streets of the undesirable?

Or are you two just loving the venue to kvetch and ridicule endlessly?

Old 08-23-2018, 05:13 PM

872 posts, read 606,560 times
Great first article Jim! I was surprised the staffers made any comments but yeah they see the money coming in and don't want to jeopardize their chance at some - big liberal cities have their sights set on the billion dollar mark for sure.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:18 PM

872 posts, read 606,560 times
The second article is entirely on point ! Many past advocates are now seeing so many violent excons and mentally ill just wandering around that they are ditching the immoral and elitist money grab and going for the only option left- restart the state hospital system the aclu shut down.
They are a harm to themselves and others and unable to care for themselves
Get them in facilities now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles