Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2018, 02:14 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,330,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
But CA is controlled by Democrats and Unions. That money will never leave their hands to help any homeless until voters get smart.
Houston is a Democratic city and has been electing Democrat Mayors for years, but the Democrats there are of a different mindset...night and day from what is deemed a Democrat in CA.

I don't view the Democrats here as Democrats...they are a different beast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 03:00 PM

6,089 posts, read 5,038,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Houston is a Democratic city and has been electing Democrat Mayors for years, but the Democrats there are of a different mindset...night and day from what is deemed a Democrat in CA.

I don't view the Democrats here as Democrats...they are a different beast.
Yeah true. Texas Democrats can be pro gun, and pro life, you won't find any senator/assembly person in California with a "D" in front of their name supporting either.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah true. Texas Democrats can be pro gun, and pro life, you won't find any senator/assembly person in California with a "D" in front of their name supporting either.
I think you meant pro-gun, supports the death penalty and is pro-choice.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:47 PM

7,650 posts, read 5,167,801 times
Quote:
If California is messed up, who is to blame for that?
Federal govt for allowing forign interests to buy up and inflate real estate.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Funny I have not provided any narrative that does not fit the stats.
Just because the majority of homeless might be drug addict losers does not mean all of them are. The ones who just had a bad rash of bad luck need to be plucked out and helped (ie federal jobs programs). Obviously the private sector failed some of these people.

Once the people that want to be productive are plucked out then different strategies can be employed for the dregs without unfairly demonizing people who are simply unlucky.

That is my whole point, even if its only 10% of the homeless people, get them out and then deal with the true losers.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why should I outline Houston's plan, it's easy to look up...they did an admirable job, just like Salt Lake City and other jurisdictions with a housing first plan. I'm not defending what has done in terms of the homeless problem, it's deplorable on a state, local and national level.

So, what is your point? Am I supposed to compel governmental agencies to do the right thing and develop and pursue a viable plan for housing for the homeless? If so you are giving me way too much credit. At this time the most I can do is what I'm doing, I cook and do laundry and provide transportation for the 6 previously homeless veterans who now have a place to live due to the generosity of an elderly gentleman who decided after his wife died to give these men a home.
I heard about that guy, then the state came in and said he basement roof height was out of code and they were going to shut him down lol. What a bunch of a holes.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Just because the majority of homeless might be drug addict losers does not mean all of them are.
I totally agree with this.
Quote:
The ones who just had a bad rash of bad luck need to be plucked out and helped (ie federal jobs programs).
Quote:
Obviously the private sector failed some of these people.
Exactly how did the public sector fail some of those folks?
Quote:
Once the people that want to be productive are plucked out then different strategies can be employed for the dregs without unfairly demonizing people who are simply unlucky.
I don't think I demonized anyone for being homeless. Demonized meaning portray as wicked and threatening.
Quote:
That is my whole point, even if its only 10% of the homeless people, get them out and then deal with the true losers.
How do you think we should deal with the "true losers"?

Old 04-20-2018, 08:19 PM

26,956 posts, read 27,217,102 times
Quote:
Yep see how well run cities handle their problems vs. what CA does? Here you guys only chant build the camps or give them a free place to live. Get them off the street! That's as deep as it goes with the bleeding hearts.
Actually, that's not as deep as it goes. But when we start talking about services needed for the homeless, you tell us that these people need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, the way that you apparently did.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:22 PM

26,956 posts, read 27,217,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why should I outline Houston's plan, it's easy to look up...they did an admirable job, just like Salt Lake City and other jurisdictions with a housing first plan.
Although the population, poverty level, cost of housing, etc, in both of these cities really can't be compared to those of Los Angeles.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Exactly how did the public sector fail some of those folks?
I don't think I demonized anyone for being homeless. Demonized meaning portray as wicked and threatening.
How do you think we should deal with the "true losers"?
If private sector cant provide full employment to everyone who is willing and capable of working then I view it as a failure of private sector, not any one company. The only solution to this is federal jobs program funded by corporate taxes (since it was the private sector companies that failed to hire them). There is a very high statistical probability that these non crap bag homeless applied for alot of jobs prior to becoming homeless and giving up, or perhaps they are even still applying from library computers, free wifi, etc.

But the longer you are unemployed the worse it gets. Pretty tough to get a job when you look discheveled and havent showered in days ,etc. Plus the massive resume gaps that employers hate.

The true losers put them in a tent city funded with very modest tax dollars so they are out of everyones hair, if they break the law then they are treated like anyone else.

In my city when the homeless would loiter too much in one area causing minor disturbances the city would bring around a water truck to "cut down on dust" and spray the area where they were laying in the grass. Like massive deluge of water spray. This discouraged them from being in certain areas. In those instances the homeless knew what they were doing, they were trying to make things uncomfortable for people going in and out of buisnesses. for the ones that just want to wander around .... well until they do something illegal then just leave them be, thats part of america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles