Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 10:12 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,707 times

Advertisements

So as I stated earlier, I was looking at Paramedic School at UCLA. However, I was able to confirm that it's located in Inglewood at the Danial Freeman Medical Center. If I interned at Beverly Hills Fire Dept, I would try to live in maybe the Hollywood/West Hollywood area. How long of a drive should I expect from Inglewood to Hollywood? Then I'm guessing Hollywood to Beverly Hills isn't to long.

Or would living halfway be smarter? Maybe Culver City is affordable? I DID want to live near the nightlife, but I don't know how much that matters anymore. They told me that this class moves at the same pace as Medical School. So I don't want to get distracted. Money is also becoming a problem so I'd want the cheapest area possible. I searched craigslist for a $600 max price and there were TONS of options. However, I'm guessing they may not be in the best areas. Here's one that really doesn't make sense: Rent 2Bedrooms in an attractive Family Neighborhood (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/apa/609781534.html - broken link)
Is it possible though to find a studio for $600? I didn't think so until I did the search, but like I said, not sure about the areas.

Thanks.

Last edited by ffknight918; 03-18-2008 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 11:46 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,417 times
haha the bedroom picture looks like it was jacked from a hotel's website

Old 03-19-2008, 12:07 AM

Yea I'm pretty sure that's fake because it doesn't look too bad. I would think one that DOES look bad in a bad area would still be more expensive than that. haha

Old 03-19-2008, 09:19 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,191,740 times
If I was you, I would live off of La Cienega. La Cienega goes from West Hollywood in the north to Inglewood in the south, passing Beverly Hills on the way. Traffic can get a little nasty on this street, but it gives you a strait shot between the two. You might be able to find some decently priced apartments around Pico or Olympic and La Cienega. I don't know about a $600 studio, but definitely under $1000.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 AM

Thanks, I'll check that out. Any idea about how long that commute would be? Google Maps says 25 min, but I'm assuming without traffic. Is La Breajust as good?

I think I might have to look for a place with another person. Maybe sharing even a studio or something. Not sure how my money situation will be.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:52 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,191,740 times
La Brea is very similar to La Cienega, but farther from Beverly Hills. The plus to La Cienega is that it turns into a freeway south of Jefferson while passing through Baldwin Hills before getting to Inglewood.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:19 AM

18 posts, read 78,065 times
This is a little late for this discussion, but in case someone in the future reads it.

The fastest way from the Inglewood area to Beverly Hills is:

La Brea to San Vincente. Left on San Vincente, which goes straight into W. Hollywood. Around the Beverly Center area you just take any of the streets west, like Wilshire. It's faster than La Cienega which tends to get more clogged.

To make things even faster. Once you have passed Jefferson cut west on maybe Westhaven.... over to Redondo Blvd & continue N. on Redondo. That way you avoid the on-ramp to the 10.

If you are trying to get from the Inglewood area over into Culver City or even Century City & don't want to take the 405, the best way is to go up La Brea or La Cienega to Slauson. Turn left, then either cut thru Holy Cross Cemetery or go around its west side on Hanum. Then catch Overland. Overland is a good, fast street running N-S... past Sony, past Westside Pavilion. It ends at the Mormon Temple on Sta Monica.

To get to Century City, you turn right from Overland to Olympic or Pico & it's only about 5-10 min. It's a good way to get to 20C Fox Studios from the W. side of Inglewood.

From Inglewood to Downtown LA w/o using the freeways.... Get to Florence... going East. Turn north (left) on West, continue to Angelus Vista. Turn Right. Stick with Angelus Vista as it becomes Leimert. Leimert runs into MLK. Take MLK east (right) to Normandie. Left on Normandie to Washington. Right on Washington to Hoover. Left on Hoover.

If going up into the east side of Hollywood, stick with Hoover, then shift west to Virgil at Wilshire. Virgil becomes Hillhurst & ends at Los Feliz Blvd near Griffith Park. (This can also be a good surface street way to get to Griffith Park or even to Glendale & Burbank by cutting thru the Park from Los Feliz. If wanting the S end of Glendale, then stay on Los Feliz.)

If you are wanting to go to Downtown LA. Leave Hoover at Alvarado, which angles NE.

Stick with Alvarado until you hit whatever street will take you into the area of Downtown that you want. Olympic for the south side of Downtown. 3rd or Temple for the N. side of Downtown.

On the whole, I've found these routes as fast as the freeways & sometimes, since they can cut considerable distance off, they will save gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles