Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:16 AM

531 posts, read 2,073,808 times

Advertisements

Houston became a high crime city do to the influx of poor uneducated refugees from hurrican katrina. It is unfortunate, but this is the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 12:44 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
I think part of the problem from the people you heard from is whomever they were dealing with probably really didn't understand what "diverse" meant. I think some people just don't get it & think that it means a predominantly minority neighborhood, not really a diverse one.
Maybe that's what happened. But it was several people who told me this and all of this took place within the last few years or so. So I would think by this time they would know what "diverse" means.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:46 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
Houston became a high crime city do to the influx of poor uneducated refugees from hurrican katrina. It is unfortunate, but this is the truth.
Crime is definitely up from the Katrina people, but it is largely concentrated in certain apartment pockets in SW Houston that were always high crime to begin with. Those pockets kind of went from bad to worse. FEMA is paying their rent through February. Also the welfare benefits in Texas "run out" at a certain point, from what I understand, and are not as good as Louisiana's. So many who are dependent upon government assistance will find their way back to one part of Louisiana or another after February. Of course those that are willing will find work in Houston & stay.

The other issue is the conviction rate in this county is high, especially compared to Orleans Parish. Many of the criminals are finding it easier to go back where the law enforcement is not as strong. The situation continues to improve, but our crime stats have definitely taken a hit from the whole situation.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:01 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
I have been on this forum just about a week now, and am interested in moving to Cali (don't know where yet, leaning toward SoCal) but all I keep hearing about is the high cost of living, high gas prices, no one can afford to buy because you need a six figure income, everything's soooo expensive, blah, blah, blah. So besides the rich people being rich, and the poor being poor, where do the middle class fit in? What quality of life am I looking at making $60K-$90K a year as a nurse?
My husband and I make more than that combined and we find our home town of San Diego to be waaaaaay to expensive. It's not just about affording the mortgage. It's how long you have to keep that kind of a mortgage up!! No thanks. Moved to Texas and will have my house payed off by the time I'm 45!!! In Cali I figured we'd have to work into our 70's!!! I have alot of friends that are considered the middle class bracket and they are really struggling. They are so house poor.....and so stressed out. Last time I went home to visit most of them couldn't even afford to go out to dinner!!! Very sad. If your thinking about buying....seriously wait a couple years....prices are dropping as we speak!!

Old 12-11-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Home prices could fall 250k and there would still be thousands that could cash out and buy a home outright somewhere else.

My brother: bought his house in 1991, paid 135k, currently worth 450k
my mother-in-law: bought house in 1992, paid 500k!!, currently worth about 800k

They will never ever sell!!!!
Thousands ARE TRYING to cash out now in California!!! No ones buying!!!! (Not enough buyers anyway!!) I look at realtor.com on a weekly basis....I see the same houses on there just sitting month after month!!! Sassberto....maybe you have all your ducks in a row....but there are many Californians who have dipped many times into their equity to pay for a lifestyle they otherwise couldn't afford. These people have to sell there house for a certain price or they can't sell. Especially with prices starting to drop......you'll argue that they are not.....but they are. A house is only worth what it will sell for..........by the way ...lending standards are getting more strict now too....I'm sure you know what that means.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:31 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,120 times
This is funny to me in a way. I look out my window at the sun and the temperate weather. I walk on the beautiful sidewalks with the great boutiques and awesome patio restaurants. Face it California is hard to beat. The second a big drop in housing costs happens, it will go right back up. Financial goals are not the goal of everyone. Sometimes lying on your back looking up at palm trees and having access to everything is worth it all. Sometimes. Depends on one's tastes and what they value. The ocean here in S. California is amazing. Prices will never dump out. Sorry. All one has to do is stand right in the center of the beauty to know this. I guess some people forget or don't want to remember. Kind of like an old love.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:44 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,120 times
By the way when you see homes up on those websites, they usually don't come off until after the house has closed and sometimes not immediately after. Some and sometimes many are in escrow. It depends on the site and the location of the real estate. Houses are on the market longer. Yes. But the scenario just painted is highly inaccurate. If it was accurate, I would be buying up all the real estate I could get my hands on and so would many others. Either way here it is a housing boom!!!

Old 12-11-2006, 08:49 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Thousands ARE TRYING to cash out now in California!!! No ones buying!!!! (Not enough buyers anyway!!) I look at realtor.com on a weekly basis....I see the same houses on there just sitting month after month!!! Sassberto....maybe you have all your ducks in a row....but there are many Californians who have dipped many times into their equity to pay for a lifestyle they otherwise couldn't afford. These people have to sell there house for a certain price or they can't sell. Especially with prices starting to drop......you'll argue that they are not.....but they are. A house is only worth what it will sell for..........by the way ...lending standards are getting more strict now too....I'm sure you know what that means.
They will muddle through, like everyone muddles through.

Some people will get screwed, but most people will just muddle through. They go to work, struggle, and live their lives. It may not be smooth sailing for everyone, but that doesn't equate to a disaster.

House prices are dropping ... just not fast enough or far enough to create the disaster some are predicting. The hypothetical snowball of job losses and foreclosures still seems pretty farfetched at this point. Maybe something will change, a catalyst of some sort.. but I haven't seen it yet.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:14 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
I agree with your assessment, Sassberto. Even amidst the economic decline that affected housing prices in the early 1990's, they didn't really plummet into foreclosures until the natural disaster of our terrible 1994 earthquake pushed so many homeowners into complete financial reversals. Unable to repair their damged homes, they had the worst case scenarios of foreclosure. Let's hope history does not repeat itself, even in the interest of affordable housing!

Old 12-12-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
They will muddle through, like everyone muddles through.

Some people will get screwed, but most people will just muddle through. They go to work, struggle, and live their lives. It may not be smooth sailing for everyone, but that doesn't equate to a disaster.

House prices are dropping ... just not fast enough or far enough to create the disaster some are predicting. The hypothetical snowball of job losses and foreclosures still seems pretty farfetched at this point. Maybe something will change, a catalyst of some sort.. but I haven't seen it yet.
That's just it...you don't see things that are going on under the surface.
Muddle through??? I'm sorry, that's just sad..........that's exactly what several of my friends are doing in SD right now. I guess I get so emotional about this because it breaks my heart....and there is nothing I can do but be a shoulder to cry on!! It's simply out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles